Official Deadline Day Thread......

614 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2012 22:15

Dare to Dr£am
paultheroyal How does Fridays Legacy reputation stack up after all this?

He knew we were talking to Palace a few weeks ago and today, and we were, if a few of the papers are right, and a number of journos too. So I can't see why you're pointing the finger at anyone?

What about your own reliability? What happened with Shane Long?

I have called enough in my time which were successful have you know. My source was rock solid along with Big Foot and we are/were trying to do that one.

You and FL just spout bollocks hoping some of it would stick. Thankfully you have been made out to be a sham!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2012 22:15

Avon Royal
Royal Rother
Ideal
Yeah, that's the saddest part, watching all the best players go and all the dead wood stay.

But you guys were saying the same stuff last year. How did we get promoted?

Have we strengthened since last season?

Maybe we should just resurrect the old threads as we all just say the same things every fcuking year don't we?

We got promoted because we invested, or did that pass you by? :roll:

Yeah, nowhere near as much as you were shouting for. And I remember your reaction to Roberts joining us. Couldn't wait to vent your disgust at the lack of ambition could you? :lol:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 31 Aug 2012 22:15

Ian Royal Fuking hell this thread is full of steaming bullshit.

Well it is now :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2012 22:16

Dare to Dr£am

He knew we were talking to Palace a few weeks ago and today, and we were, if a few of the papers are right, and a number of journos too. So I can't see why you're pointing the finger at anyone?

And to your first paragraph - complete bollocks!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Aug 2012 22:16

Avon Royal

Well it is now :wink:

mwah. :P

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Aug 2012 22:17

Avon predicted armageddon practically every game & we just went & won them all. Really put a spanner into his moaning routine.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Aug 2012 22:19

Did you hear that from your radio?

Cypry

by Cypry » 31 Aug 2012 22:20

MmmMonsterMunch Are we REALLY all moaning about our transfer dealings?! I think we've done some great business.

I am really happy with the squad personally. We have a tight 'group' as BM would say. Too many in upsets the apple cart. All we need to do is sort out the shitty mistakes at the back which we will do I'm sure & we'll be ok. This team has goals.

Who'd have thought we'd win the league last year? You could argue that was more about determination than skill - we practically stole that league title. No reason why we can't do something similar again to stay up. These players are hungry.

^ this

We're equal 3rd in terms of numbers of players signed this window (with Norwich, Villa and Southampton), behind West Ham and QPR - all of those have lost players as well....

We spent sensible money on a couple, and made some very astute moves on frees - what's to be unhappy about?

At the end of the day, TSI always said that he club would continue to be run as a business "in the Reading way" - problem is, I think a lot of fans saw ££££s in front of their eyes and simply didn't listen.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 31 Aug 2012 22:21

Royal Rother And I remember your reaction to Roberts joining us. Couldn't wait to vent your disgust at the lack of ambition could you? :lol:

You obviously don't have a very good memory then......

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 31 Aug 2012 22:23

Libertine And to think we could have got someone like Clint Dempsey for a mere £6M...but he is off to the Spurs. Meanwhile the clock continues to tick...

Not sure this one was ever a starter. Fabulous player, and I would have welcomed him signing, but lets be honest. Possible relegation dogfight v possible top 6 challenge + European football. No contest.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 31 Aug 2012 22:24

paultheroyal
Dare to Dr£am

I have called enough in my time which were successful have you know. My source was rock solid along with Big Foot and we are/were trying to do that one.

You and FL just spout bollocks hoping some of it would stick. Thankfully you have been made out to be a sham!

:lol: I'm not ITK nor have I every claimed to be. I post up what I see in the media and twatter and usually make a point of saying where it came from.

FL to his credit has called more than enough to be deemed trustworthy, and doesn't appear to post much these days. Certainly nothing for the deadline deals. Anything I've seen on twatter that he commented on recently was backed up by several media, and it was the same things he had said weeks ago when we first spoke to Palace.

Fwiw, we did speak to WBA about Long, and it didn't come off, just as us speaking to Gylfi didn't.. but it doesn't mean we didn't try, does it? Or are you 'unreliable' also? :D

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 31 Aug 2012 22:24

Cypry
MmmMonsterMunch Are we REALLY all moaning about our transfer dealings?! I think we've done some great business.

I am really happy with the squad personally. We have a tight 'group' as BM would say. Too many in upsets the apple cart. All we need to do is sort out the shitty mistakes at the back which we will do I'm sure & we'll be ok. This team has goals.

Who'd have thought we'd win the league last year? You could argue that was more about determination than skill - we practically stole that league title. No reason why we can't do something similar again to stay up. These players are hungry.

^ this

We're equal 3rd in terms of numbers of players signed this window (with Norwich, Villa and Southampton), behind West Ham and QPR - all of those have lost players as well....

We spent sensible money on a couple, and made some very astute moves on frees - what's to be unhappy about?

At the end of the day, TSI always said that he club would continue to be run as a business "in the Reading way" - problem is, I think a lot of fans saw ££££s in front of their eyes and simply didn't listen.

absolutely right, one of the reasons i fell in love with this club was due to how it was run. however, in the future if we look to stay up and become a permanent member of the premier league we are going to have to drop some money eventually, this will probably mean having to spend more that market value for players.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2012 22:26

Cypry

^ this

Thank fcuk for you guys and Stubby and Winchester. Restores my faith a little.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 22:26

Nice to see some of the fans are still keeping the small club mentality...might need it again in the not too distant future.

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread as we close in on the new year. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it. But while the signings we made up until now were good ones, we, one, still had a couple holes to fill and, two, the others clubs improved themselves. And we could have picked up those couple players (re: see Dempsey's £6M transfer) at a fee which wouldn't have broken the bank or our wage structure...but we stood pat.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 22:29

sputnik
Libertine And to think we could have got someone like Clint Dempsey for a mere £6M...but he is off to the Spurs. Meanwhile the clock continues to tick...

Not sure this one was ever a starter. Fabulous player, and I would have welcomed him signing, but lets be honest. Possible relegation dogfight v possible top 6 challenge + European football. No contest.

He almost went to Villa but didn't because the fee couldn't be agreed to. And Villa might be the leading relegation candidate right now...

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 31 Aug 2012 22:30

Libertine Nice to see some of the fans are still keeping the small club mentality...might need it again in the not too distant future.

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread as we close in on the new year. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it. But while the signings we made up until now were good ones, we, one, still had a couple holes to fill and, two, the others clubs improved themselves. And we could have picked up those couple players (re: see Dempsey's £6M transfer) at a fee which wouldn't have broken the bank or our wage structure...but we stood pat.

personally, all i thought we really needed was a class striker to partner pog. rhodes, dempsey, zaha, ayew etc could have filled this spot. i trust alfie to be able to step up though! if we could have loaned churchy and brought in a solid striker to replace him i would have died of happiness.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2012 22:31

Jesus Christ! Do you SERIOUSLY think Dempsey would have come here?

Do you SERIOUSLY think it would have been sensible for us to meet his wage demands and pay him double what anyone else is earning here.

The word DELUDED doesn't do you justice.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Aug 2012 22:31

The beauty of the way RFC is run is that it's always about the team rather than the individuals. With that in mind, you will always have someone hungry wanting a chance to prove what they can do - there will always be bargains to be had if they fit the Reading mould. It's a good way to be & hasn't done us wrong so far. We don't have to spend zillions.

Ultimately yes the net spend will go up year on year but we don't need to just endlessly oxf*rd money.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 31 Aug 2012 22:32

Libertine Nice to see some of the fans are still keeping the small club mentality...might need it again in the not too distant future.

Seriously, in what world does Dempsey leave Fulham and join us for £6m? Stop looking at the price tag and understand where we are in the football feeding chain.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 22:33

USA_Loyal_Royal

personally, all i thought we really needed was a class striker to partner pog. rhodes, dempsey, zaha, ayew etc could have filled this spot. i trust alfie to be able to step up though! if we could have loaned churchy and brought in a solid striker to replace him i would have died of happiness.

Yep. All there is left for me to do is make the sign of the cross, then cross my fingers and hope.

We have very good players but an injury here or there to one or two of our key players, or suspensions, and we might be looking at a DEEP hole come January.

614 posts