Relegation the Reading Way

542 posts
windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Were in the shit

by windermere_royal » 20 Oct 2012 23:22

Ideal Going down.

That's all.

LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON, WHEN WE CAN FINALLY WIN A GAME OR TWO.

what the point in winning games then?, do you want promotion to the PL?..or just a mid table side forever? whats the point?

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 20 Oct 2012 23:26

windermere_royal
Ideal Going down.

That's all.

LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON, WHEN WE CAN FINALLY WIN A GAME OR TWO.

what the point in winning games then?, do you want promotion to the PL?..or just a mid table side forever? whats the point?

But were not winning any are we?

But i dont like the idea of reading going down and back up or stay in the championship and win some games oxf*rd that lets stay here

I think are season starts with the next 3 games, win them and that might push us on, lose them then were in the deep shitte

Royalz96

by Royalz96 » 20 Oct 2012 23:29

dont get why BMD is so reluctant to spend more money, we have the money SPEND IT!

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 21 Oct 2012 00:16

Royalz96 dont get why BMD is so reluctant to spend more money, we have the money SPEND IT!

If you look at the clubs that typically come up and do well, they are predominantly the core team that got promoted with a few additions, which is exactly what McD did in the summer.

Our issue is that the majority of our core look like they are rabbits in the headlights, playing in fear, rather than going out, enjoying the moment and marking their mark on the PL.

I have no doubt that McD will spend big in January now he knows more about his teams capabilities, the problem will be who will be willing to come to us?

I have to admit I was confident that Gorks, Fed and Gunter would be able to make the step up but all have looked nervous and ultimately off the pace, impacting our defensive performance which is the main reason we haven't got more points.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Oct 2012 00:22

Royalz96 dont get why BMD is so reluctant to spend more money, we have the money SPEND IT!

transfer window has closed, you foreskin

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 Oct 2012 00:23

Hardly adrift at the bottom are we, one win and we will look so much better.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 21 Oct 2012 00:29

Harpers So Solid Crew Hardly adrift at the bottom are we, one win and we will look so much better.

Some reason! Where has the British stiff upper lip gone, that's what I want to know. Some of you lot are worse panickers than me, and that's saying something.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 21 Oct 2012 00:30

What I am worried and surprised about is not so much our lack of quality in depth in the Premiership but the absence of a tactical game that is going to work for us in the Premiership. I think most people, I include myself, thought that in spite of our summer signings we would still be a weak side and struggle in the Prem. What has surprised me and is alarming me is the absence of a tactical game that will give us a chance of staying up. If we persevere with the current game plan of hoofing it up the pitch, if we continue to lose possession as frequently as we do, if we continue to be unable regain possession from the other team then I really can't see how we will stay up. I mean this is, not to put too fine a point on it, pretty basic stuff.
What makes this even more alarming is that appears to be no plan B. At the moment, I really can't think of many positives and, believe me, I've tried.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 21 Oct 2012 00:35

Cripple Creek What I am worried and surprised about is not so much our lack of quality in depth in the Premiership but the absence of a tactical game that is going to work for us in the Premiership. I think most people, I include myself, thought that in spite of our summer signings we would still be a weak side and struggle in the Prem. What has surprised me and is alarming me is the absence of a tactical game that will give us a chance of staying up. If we persevere with the current game plan of hoofing it up the pitch, if we continue to lose possession as frequently as we do, if we continue to be unable regain possession from the other team then I really can't see how we will stay up. I mean this is, not to put too fine a point on it, pretty basic stuff.
What makes this even more alarming is that appears to be no plan B. At the moment, I really can't think of many positives and, believe me, I've tried.

I thought we had some decent possession 2nd half today, not really hoofing it at all. alot of the passing didn`t come off but it was there.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 21 Oct 2012 01:00

If we had beaten Newcastle the whole mindset would be completely different now! We looked every bit an EPL team in that game! Solid for 90mins but lacked some concentration!

We need to identify what our first 11 is and bloody quick!

Were not in the S*** yet, because we should have beaten Chelsea (If not for Feds and Torres being offside) and we should have beaten Newcastle. Showing we can compete. 3 points from one of those games and we'd be out the relegation zone with a game in hand. Win our game in hand and will be out the relegation zone. Fine margins but we could easily have 4+ points on top of what we currently have.

As for January I'm sure we can use the loan market.

For Fulham I would go one of two ways

First choice

______________McCarthy_____________

Cummings_Mapps__Gorkss_Shorey

McCleary_Guthrie_L,Wood_McAnuff

_________Pog____Roberts______

Get an extra striker in to take the workload off Pog and link play higher up through two strikers. If our aim is to whip the crosses in get our two tallest strikers on.

Second choice

___________McCarthy_____________

Cummings_Mapps__Gorkss_Shorey

_________Guthrie_L,wood_________

Kebe________McAnuff_____McCleary

______________Pog____________

Lets be honest Swansea and Liverpool will keep the ball more than most in this league. Against a Fulham Guthrie might be able set the tempo from a deeper position and we can break with our three quick wingers.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 21 Oct 2012 08:37

Royal91 If

. Against a Fulham Guthrie might be able set the tempo from a deeper position and we can break with our three quick wingers.

well Fulham have over the last few seasons an awful away record so hopefully we can take advantage of that.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 Oct 2012 08:38

Harpers So Solid Crew Hardly adrift at the bottom are we, one win and we will look so much better.

One what now?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 21 Oct 2012 09:45

How do you know we have money?

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 21 Oct 2012 09:58

URZZZZZZZZ

How do you know we have money?

Exactly. We all assumed there was cash available because of the Russians but clearly there wasn't.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 21 Oct 2012 10:04

Our main strength in our fantastic run last season was belief. It's all well and good sticking to your core squad upon promotion but what is our strength this season?

The under the radar mentality has already gone for a burton this season with players seemingly in the news every week for non footballing reasons.

At home next week to Fulham is a real measure of our chances this season, this is not just a must win game but a game that we must win with a performance to boot. If we scrape a draw after having 5 shots to Fulham's 20, I will not be remotely interested in any 'positives to take' cliches that players or manager come out with.

Unless our midfield can get a grip in this league we are miles away from a win and inches away from a stuffing.

A loss away at Liverpool, fair enough but we must expect to beat Fulham at home.

jackwhite

by jackwhite » 21 Oct 2012 11:23

Hi to all Loyal Royals, im new to this site, live in the Midlands and follow Reading all over the country home and away.
I have to partly agree with the Were in the shit comment, as, although i still have hope and faith in my team as always, we cant keep playing the same old tactic of - lets let teams, whoever we play, come at us, play some football while we try and contain and soak up pressure, go a goal down and then start to play. Its the same thing week in week out, we only start to play when we are losing or its too late. Then when we do start playing, i hate to say it, but we just dont create enough chances per game to turn it round or win games. Lack of chances = lack of goals = losing games = relegation battle...
I love Brian McDermott but we were poor again against a poor Liverpool and he cant keep saying we deserved more or that we will learn from that and move on to the next game. We need to start on the front foot from the off, and play the way we know we can and take the game to the opposition from the start, put them under pressure, try to keep the ball and play football the Reading!
Carry on as we are and even the teams around us like Southampton etc will come and have a go, score more goals than us, as most teams in this league seem capable of, and we will be in the shit for sure.
Im keeping my faith but i wonder what the new Russian owners are thinking..............

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2012 11:36

RFC is a mere plaything for Anton imo.

I was a bit disheartened to hear a press report that McD was "upbeat" after yesterday's match. I wasn't upbeat about the result, nor, more importantly, our continued style of play. Still, he's the manager and we have to trust that he knows exactly what he's doing and isn't now out of his depth.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 21 Oct 2012 12:16

One thing you're missing is Anton got a good deal for this club. He got a promotion as a bonus and hasvhardly splashed the cash since.

If we go down, he should spend the parachute money wisely and regroup for 2014.

Get Carter

Relegation the Reading Way

by Get Carter » 21 Oct 2012 12:28

We work so hard to reach the promised land and then let it slip away due to lack of investment - so disappointing.
Also, McD has switched from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 which clearly does not work - the Pog looks a good player, but he needs
a quality striker alongside him and good service from the wingers.
We have 3 points from a possible 21 and will need to win about 10 games from the next 31 with a few draws to get about 36 points to try and stay up - does that look likely?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation the Reading Way

by windermere_royal » 21 Oct 2012 12:31

Get Carter We work so hard to reach the promised land and then let it slip away due to lack of investment - so disappointing.
Also, McD has switched from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 which clearly does not work - the Pog looks a good player, but he needs
a quality striker alongside him and good service from the wingers.
We have 3 points from a possible 21 and will need to win about 10 games from the next 31 with a few draws to get about 36 points to try and stay up - does that look likely?

still early days to say we will go down after 7 games. but we made these same mistakes back in 2007 , if we do go down it will be unforgivable to not learn lessons from the last time.

542 posts