Our fantastic captain

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Our fantastic captain

by Vision » 28 Nov 2012 10:11

As AP points out the Captain's armband is just a meaningless accessory really. The reason McAnuff is captain is as much to do with his influence off the pitch as much as on it and because the manager knows and trusts him. Unlike many on here I don't think up until last night's terrible performance he's been that bad at all this season although he's not been particluarly good either.

There's the point for me and McAnuff is sympomatic of the whole team this season. The odd game aside we've not been especially bad but at no time have we really looked like a good side either. He (and us) are just mind numbingly ordinary.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 28 Nov 2012 10:28

Captains (not the armband, who knows why that bollocks came in a few seasons ago) ARE relevant - they need to inspire the players, carry out the managers and their own orders, assist with any problems within the team, plus these days they are the only one who is allowed to, ahem, talk to the referee (yes, I know, but dont blame me for this one, its the law, Guv) and more.

Being captain is a big role -or at least it's supposed to be. :roll: Sod it, yes, just give them as poncey armband a la some tarty American bollocks and make it end there. Or indeed, end altogether?

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 28 Nov 2012 10:54

URZZZZZZZZ Oh god, the Alf love in :roll:

He's on the pitch to finish opportunities and he has spurned 7 or 8 in the last two matches alone.

Two of his misses last night and one on Saturday were out of this world. Awesome to watch.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Nov 2012 11:01

Vic_Flange Captains (not the armband, who knows why that bollocks came in a few seasons ago) ARE relevant - they need to inspire the players, carry out the managers and their own orders, assist with any problems within the team, plus these days they are the only one who is allowed to, ahem, talk to the referee (yes, I know, but dont blame me for this one, its the law, Guv) and more.

Being captain is a big role -or at least it's supposed to be. :roll: Sod it, yes, just give them as poncey armband a la some tarty American bollocks and make it end there. Or indeed, end altogether?

If a professional footballer needs a captain to inspire him on the pitch then he's no right being out there. It's the manager's job to inspire the players. As far as on the field inspiration is concerned, actions speak louder than words. The armband is merely a decorative symbol. Nothing more as far as on the pitch is concerned.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 28 Nov 2012 11:02

Vision As AP points out the Captain's armband is just a meaningless accessory really. The reason McAnuff is captain is as much to do with his influence off the pitch as much as on it and because the manager knows and trusts him. Unlike many on here I don't think up until last night's terrible performance he's been that bad at all this season although he's not been particluarly good either.

There's the point for me and McAnuff is sympomatic of the whole team this season. The odd game aside we've not been especially bad but at no time have we really looked like a good side either. He (and us) are just mind numbingly ordinary.

Completely agree with you here.Good post

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Nov 2012 11:03

gr8 captain last year, good performer this year

last three games on the right mean hes been totally useless, always does when played on that side. but if he was back on the left wed be seeing the good mcanuff again