Oxford United

122 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Oxford United

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Nov 2012 15:53

Jackson Corner Not pompus fact. Yes we were close to going out of business but we didn't. Southern league is still non league what ever way you look at it.

So what?
You dwell on the negatives and somehow think it is a great achievement to stay in league football.
They won something,we haven't.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 30 Nov 2012 16:04

Jackson Corner
No Fixed Abode Oxford United = 1 major trophy
Reading = 0 major trophies

Achieved by cheating. The owner the most corrupt man in history stole from pension funds to subsidise his football team.
How many 2nd tier Championships have they won? Whats there highest league placing? How many years have they spent in the football league? Check your history Reading founder members of div 3 south in 1920 have never finished lower than 14th. Oxford joined the league in 1962 and dropped out in 06. Swindon also joined the league with us in 1920 but have twice finished bottom of div 3 south, before relegation and were re elected something Reading have never had to do like go in to administration or have points deducted. Something are local rivals have both had to endure.

Sounds like an inferiority complex to me as you're protesting too much.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Nov 2012 16:10

No Fixed Abode
Jackson Corner

Achieved by cheating. The owner the most corrupt man in history stole from pension funds to subsidise his football team.
How many 2nd tier Championships have they won? Whats there highest league placing? How many years have they spent in the football league? Check your history Reading founder members of div 3 south in 1920 have never finished lower than 14th. Oxford joined the league in 1962 and dropped out in 06. Swindon also joined the league with us in 1920 but have twice finished bottom of div 3 south, before relegation and were re elected something Reading have never had to do like go in to administration or have points deducted. Something are local rivals have both had to endure.

Sounds like an inferiority complex to me as you're protesting too much.

Probably for the first time ever we are in agreement on something.
Can we get back to disagreeing again as soon as possible. :wink:

retro_royal

by retro_royal » 30 Nov 2012 16:15

Fist game I ever went to was Oxford United.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 30 Nov 2012 16:33

Victor Meldrew
Jackson Corner Not pompus fact. Yes we were close to going out of business but we didn't. Southern league is still non league what ever way you look at it.

So what?
You dwell on the negatives and somehow think it is a great achievement to stay in league football.

Simod Cup and being in professional football for 92 consecutive years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Milk Cup and being in professional football for 50 years, punctuated by a 5-year spell in the Non-LOLeague.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Nov 2012 16:39

3 veesinarow
Victor Meldrew

So what?

Simod Cup and being in professional football for 92 consecutive years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Milk Cup and being in professional football for 50 years, punctuated by a 5-year spell in the Non-LOLeague.

A very poor comparison.
We are talking about the fairy-tale story of a club rising from non-league to winning a cup at Wembley just like Wimbledon.
That is fantastic when compared to our 80 odd years of mainly messing around in the lower leagues before an egotistical sugar daddy came along and spent enough to get us up briefly to the top level.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Nov 2012 16:41

who on here was at the Manor in 1976, December 29 in the snow?

We were battered, got to 90 mins at 0-0 then Foley scored their winner.

Cannot have been more than a couple of hundred Biscuitmen there, about 4 coaches and no noise.

Some details may be incorrect, but I am sure about the score and the snow.
Last edited by LUX on 30 Nov 2012 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Nov 2012 16:41

I like Oxford. Always look out for their results and hope they win to climb the table. Love to
See them in the Championship.

A cup draw with them would be very exciting.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Nov 2012 16:42

Referee'd Oxford many a time as in my catchment area. 70 minutes on that clock running up that
Bloomin hill was hard work i can tell you.

Only ground which had about 14 different stands lol.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 30 Nov 2012 18:22

Victor Meldrew
3 veesinarow Simod Cup and being in professional football for 92 consecutive years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Milk Cup and being in professional football for 50 years, punctuated by a 5-year spell in the Non-LOLeague.

A very poor comparison.
We are talking about the fairy-tale story of a club rising from non-league to winning a cup at Wembley just like Wimbledon.
That is fantastic when compared to our 80 odd years of mainly messing around in the lower leagues before an egotistical sugar daddy came along and spent enough to get us up briefly to the top level.

LOLz.. Soz Mr Oxford..

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 30 Nov 2012 19:17

The Gent Whats yours views on them ?

Disgusting small-time fans who spit in the faces of kids and push over the elderley. I think they're utter scum and I love the fact they continue to rot in the basement division, in a really naff three stand stadium that oddly has blue seats.

Welcome to the board, TG.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 30 Nov 2012 19:53

SPARTA
The Gent Whats yours views on them ?

Disgusting small-time fans who spit in the faces of kids and push over the elderley. I think they're utter scum and I love the fact they continue to rot in the basement division, in a really naff three stand stadium that oddly has blue seats.

Welcome to the board, TG.

This

Having the misfortune to reside in the hell hole that is East Oxford for a number of years, I can tell you that their fans are even more strange than ours, you know wonky eyes buck teeth sort of thing.
Tin Pot club with carrot crunchers as supporters.

I watched a few games from the Osler Road terrace with an Oxford supporting mate. I always cheered the opposition spending a lot of time taking the piss!
Problem was when I was there they had Aldridge, Houghton etc and we were languishing :shock:

Love to get then in the cup and put them in their place

Horrible club with puke coloured shirts!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Nov 2012 21:08

You seem to have missed out the fact that Reading have won 2 Championship titles. Oxford never won that one, they were second or third when they went up to the top flight.

Still, I really hope that Oxford returns to where they belong...in non-league.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 30 Nov 2012 22:07

Say what you want about them being a bunch pcunts, but at least they've got a Frankie & Bennys at the ground. What have we got? Just how many of you wouldn't give your right arm to sink a few Mai Tai's or a round of Apple-tinis right before a game? And they can fukk off to watch Expendables 2 when the match is going shit! That cinema must be fukking heaving come 3.45 on a Saturday. The lucky lucky bastards!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 30 Nov 2012 22:13

LUX who on here was at the Manor in 1976, December 29 in the snow?

We were battered, got to 90 mins at 0-0 then Foley scored their winner.

Cannot have been more than a couple of hundred Biscuitmen there, about 4 coaches and no noise.

Some details may be incorrect, but I am sure about the score and the snow.

I was there. Robin Friday's last game for the club.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Nov 2012 22:17

not there

Managed to find Radio Oxford commentary on my battery powered Fidelity radio whilst lying in bed with toncillitus as a kid

At least they had commentary

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Nov 2012 22:29

I just feel indifference towards a smaller local lower league club in a similar way I view Wycombe these days. A neighbour that had close to a decade higher than us, but that was more than two decades ago now.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Nov 2012 23:00

Best ever Reading away game at Oxford I ever went to was the one when we won 3-1 and all of us Reading fans were ragging on the Oxford keeper, telling him that he was shit and ragging on the replacement keeper, telling him that he was even worse. Oh and the Reading player's Mexican wave led by Martin Allen.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 30 Nov 2012 23:44

SpaceCruiser ragging

:|

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Dec 2012 03:56

So what?
They won something,we haven't.[/quote]

Simod Cup and being in professional football for 92 consecutive years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Milk Cup and being in professional football for 50 years, punctuated by a 5-year spell in the Non-LOLeague.[/quote]

A very poor comparison.
That is fantastic when compared to our 80 odd years of mainly messing around in the lower leagues before an egotistical sugar daddy came along and spent enough to get us up briefly to the top level.[/quote]

As I said funded by money stolen from Mirror pension funds. I'm sure those Mirror employees who had there pensions stolen by Maxwell enjoyed there day at Wembley.

122 posts