228 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

by Maguire » 06 Dec 2012 08:24

Man Friday
Maguire
handbags_harris He is that highly regarded in these parts that even those that never saw him play, myself included, revere him...

Speak for yourself. Never saw the bloke play, he sounds like an arsehole by all accounts, and we've probably had several dozen better players since.

Talking from a position of complete ignorance as usual.

Well plenty of bites here but you seem to be the most menstrual.

If you read (can you read?) the post I was quoting it's written by somebody who claims to revere him even though they never saw him play. I don't understand this at all. I do understand why all the old duffers liked him but for a more modern generation of Reading fans we have our own heroes.

And the "probably" was just me being kind. We've absolutely definitely had way way way better footballers at RFC than Robin Friday.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Dec 2012 09:18

The goal against Tranmere was amazing though.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 06 Dec 2012 09:19

Having started watching in 1990, my club legends are Parky, Adie W, Gilkesy, and Murty.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Dec 2012 09:27

Norfolk Royal The goal against Tranmere was amazing though.

Yeah I know mate, remember it well

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 06 Dec 2012 11:04

If you want my personal and completely selfish opinion of my ultimate Reading legend, it would be between Gilkes and Forster.

Extreme pace gives me a massive boner, which is why when he's not playing like a paraplegic Kebe is my favourite today.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 06 Dec 2012 11:15

Jimmy Quinn for me.

Played in my all time favourite team, scored loads of goals, liked drinking, had a lovely thick hood.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 06 Dec 2012 11:17

Simon Shepperd.

THE DON :!:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Dec 2012 11:42

grey_squirrel
Ian Royal [+2 I appreciate he was amazing compared to everything people saw at the time, football (and life) was a little different back then, and he's provoked some excellent stories... but I'm not really comfortable with a club legend who was essentially a total waster who pissed his talent up the wall playing for a turd team.

Take it that you saw him play and knew him then did you Mr Know-it-all? No thought not.

I've never claimed to have seen him play, that post in no way implies I've seen him play, or that I know everything. It's an expression of my opinion based on what I've learnt about him from everyone on here. Don't get your nickers in a twist darling.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 Dec 2012 12:19

We must be the only club that chooses a drug taking, alcoholic, wife beating player that only played a 100 games for us in the lowest tier of English football as there ultimate legend?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 06 Dec 2012 12:23

Jackson Corner We must be the only club that chooses a drug taking, alcoholic, wife beating player that only played a 100 games for us in the lowest tier of English football as there ultimate legend?

^^^nail on head

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Dec 2012 12:26

tbf we are probably the only club that has a half decent player that fits those exacting criteria

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Dec 2012 13:18

Jackson Corner We must be the only club that chooses a drug taking, alcoholic, wife beating player that only played a 100 games for us in the lowest tier of English football as there ultimate legend?

Nah, Cardiff will probably vote for him as well.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 06 Dec 2012 14:36

Ian Royal
Saying that though, by definition [Friday] pretty much is the club legend. I just prefer someone a little cleaner cut, like Death, Senior, Gilkes, Williams, Parkinson, Coppell, Madejski, Evans, Sidwell, Shorey, Kitson, Murty, Shaka, Sigurdsson etc.

Kitson ?!? :roll:

Of the recent promotion to higher things years - Parky and Murts for sure, and Mr Mad, and any of those legends-11 (except, see above) ... but no mention for Caskey, Cureton, Butler, Forster, Doyle ? Unsung - Hughsey ... where do you stop. Nah.

Legend ? After Mr Mad it has to be Friday, Death or Senior .... for being legendary.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 06 Dec 2012 14:37

Focher

^^^nail on head

That's what legends are made of.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 06 Dec 2012 19:40

Avon Royal
LUX
Para Handy Oooh. Looks like I've been murked. Both Royal Rother and Avon Royal are now joking. Yeah right.

:lol:

I know Lux, it's a great comeback isn't it? Almost Oscar Wilde like as a withering repost........ :lol:

I think the word you might be groping for is riposte. Idiot.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 06 Dec 2012 19:42

Maguire And the "probably" was just me being kind. We've absolutely definitely had way way way better footballers at RFC than Robin Friday.

No Mags, we haven't. I think I'm in a better position to judge that than you. We might have had technically fitter, faster, stronger players with the modern age of football. We haven't had better footballers than Robin imho.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Dec 2012 19:54

Robin F for me though I wish we had had Gylfi a bit longer because he was a wonderful talent.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Dec 2012 20:08

Para Handy
Maguire And the "probably" was just me being kind. We've absolutely definitely had way way way better footballers at RFC than Robin Friday.

No Mags, we haven't. I think I'm in a better position to judge that than you. We might have had technically fitter, faster, stronger players with the modern age of football. We haven't had better footballers than Robin imho.

Err, being fit, fast, and strong is a massive part of being good at football :|

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2012 20:09

F11ck you all

Joseph Edward Sydenham

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 06 Dec 2012 20:18

Maguire
Para Handy

Err, being fit, fast, and strong is a massive part of being good at football :|

Honestly, I haven't seen any Reading player since Robin to match him as a footballer.

Sorry.

228 posts