What's the shittest thing about the prem?

What's the shittest thing about the prem?

The expensive tickets
17%
The non-stop scrutiny of the games
6%
The uneven nature of it
23%
The oxf*rd fans
6%
The journalists who don't do research on the weaker teams
13%
The suppose high-quality of games which are actually crap
13%
The players who think they're Gods
10%
The day-tripper fans at our games
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 284
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What's the shittest thing about the prem?

by Royalee » 17 Mar 2013 20:18

Jude the Obscure
Royalee Doing things the Reading Way.

What like booing your team captain at the start of a difficult game at Old Trafford?

Were there clowns there doing that yesterday?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Mar 2013 21:04

Man Friday
Victor Meldrew Dead right Ian.
The thing I hate about the Premier League is just what Man Friday has posted-fans of little clubs forever moaning about luck or the lack of decisions.
They fail to see the lack of decisions given to the other clubs or the luck that we have had. I'm not talkin about luck. I'm talking about incorrect decisions. Luck (hitting woodwork etc) certainly evens itself out.
What about Alf's handballed (?) goal at Newcastle that ensured 3 points? Proves the point. The few in our favour (Everton at home) are outnumbered by a ratio of at least 3:1 against us. (By the way, ALF's wasn't handball - has to be deliberate.) So many times people on here have gone on about that game away at Chelsea when they could have been 6-0 up in the first 15 minutes with a bit of "luck" and of course they did score 4 but just one of those was a dodgy offside. Again, not talking about luck, I'm talking about refs favouring the big clubs.
I like the Premier League and my one major grouse is that the club didn't do enough to stay there-it's a bit like clubs being desperate to qualify for the Europa League and then moaning about a fixture pile-up and then put out a weakened team.

If you qualify for something give it your best shot. Agree with that except that it's ultimately futile these days as it's all about money. The days of a club like Forest winning the league are over.

And the days of the likes of Liverpool winning it as well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2013 21:12

Victor Meldrew
Ian Royal
Man Friday That the liitle clubs are handicapped by officials favouring the big clubs to the tune of at least 6 points during the season. Whilst we've obviously had one or two key decisions in our favour the vast majority have gone against us (Chelsea offside, Newcastle handball, Aston Villa pen not given and offside when level, etc etc etc). It's enough of an an uphill battle as it is...It just becomes completely futile.

I think it's as much that the successful teams create more and better opportunities for the refs to make decisions that benefit them positively in attacking positions, and fewer opportunities for refs to punish them in defensive positions. And vice versa for unsuccessful teams.

Dead right Ian.
The thing I hate about the Premier League is just what Man Friday has posted-fans of little clubs forever moaning about luck or the lack of decisions.
They fail to see the lack of decisions given to the other clubs or the luck that we have had.
What about Alf's handballed (?) goal at Newcastle that ensured 3 points?
So many times people on here have gone on about that game away at Chelsea when they could have been 6-0 up in the first 15 minutes with a bit of "luck" and of course they did score 4 but just one of those was a dodgy offside.
I like the Premier League and my one major grouse is that the club didn't do enough to stay there-it's a bit like clubs being desperate to qualify for the Europa League and then moaning about a fixture pile-up and then put out a weakened team.

If you qualify for something give it your best shot.

Well it clearly wasn't handball for a start.

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 17 Mar 2013 21:40

The vastly over-rated standard of football.
We've been rubbish for most of the season, no question about that, but given we were promoted and stuck with a team of decent Championship players, it's hardly a shock.
I just haven't been impressed with the standard produced by clubs who are so-called light years ahead of us in terms of the money spent and the perceived quality of their 'superstar' players.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Mar 2013 23:05

The premier clubs are either rich boys toys or run as a commercial brand to sell merchandise in the Far East.

Give the supporters their clubs back.

The lower leagues are suffering declining attendances too. Too much money in the hands of to few.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Mar 2013 10:14

Other: The raft of new and ill informed posters on Hobnob.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Mar 2013 10:28

It does strike me that some of you are now going to get what you wish for:-
Smaller crowds with even less atmosphere
Plenty of long-ball stuff
Far too many Evening games
Big (ish) club in a lower division (more ref decisions in our favour?)
Slightly lower ticket costs (but still dear food and drink and parking at around £9 per home game)
We win quite a few more games ,even if what we are watching is rubbish
We can chant "we are going up " again
We don't have to listen to "You've never won f*** all"
We can chant about hating Swindon and Oxford all over again
The joy of trying to get to Crystal Palace
The joy of travelling to Yorkshire about 5-6 times in a season
A few moments on the Football League show
A few lines in the National Press now and again

Yes,can't wait for next season.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 18 Mar 2013 10:30

I do wish people would stop moaning about new fans. We want money and invenstment, that comes from new fans. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and ecouraged to spend their money with us rather than the bigger clubs.

Its a football club, its not some exclusive members club which you're only allowed to support if you once went to Elm park.

Shittest thing about the prem, refs bottling it against big clubs, and working really hard to avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth. Do you think Wigan fans actually enjoy 90% of the season?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 18 Mar 2013 10:43

the shittest thing about the prem is that we're not good enough. This effects the way some fans feel about themselves and they vent their rage on messageboards

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Mar 2013 12:03

BR2 It does strike me that some of you are now going to get what you wish for:-
Slightly lower ticket costs (but still dear food and drink and parking at around £9 per home game)

At a club like RFC atmosphere comes from whether you are winning or losing more games hence why last year was good (by our poor standards) and this year bad.

i also prefer evening games to saturday afternoon games

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Mar 2013 12:09

soggy biscuit
BR2 It does strike me that some of you are now going to get what you wish for:-

At a club like RFC atmosphere comes from whether you are winning or losing more games hence why last year was good (by our poor standards) and this year bad.

i also prefer evening games to saturday afternoon games

Like a lot of our fans I work and live outside the area so evening games (that I used to prefer when living in Reading) are a nightmare.
Saturdays or Sundays for me (and I suspect a couple of thousand or so others) every time.

TTC

by TTC » 18 Mar 2013 12:33

HoneyRoastHoax I do wish people would stop moaning about new fans. We want money and invenstment, that comes from new fans. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and ecouraged to spend their money with us rather than the bigger clubs.

Its a football club, its not some exclusive members club which you're only allowed to support if you once went to Elm park.

Shittest thing about the prem, refs bottling it against big clubs, and working really hard to avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth. Do you think Wigan fans actually enjoy 90% of the season?

Couldn't agree more. I hate the fair weather supporters in general though.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 18 Mar 2013 13:11

Getting spanked nearly every week

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 18 Mar 2013 13:21

Other: Jobi McAnuff.

Just kidding of course.

It's Mikele Leigertwood.

Christof

by Christof » 18 Mar 2013 16:56

Scheduling/rescheduling/ticket prices/hype/all stats that start with ‘since 1992’/being patronised/being ignored/being mocked/Harry Redknapp/unrealistic fan expectations/plastic fans/jester hats/Viagogo ticket reselling/hype/’Super Sunday’/biased refereeing/uninformed water cooler gibber from post-Nick Hornby ‘fans’ after watching 10 seconds of goals on MotD/hype/Alan Shearer/’the Promised Land’/’the £90m game’/players’ wages/Richard Scudamore/the unbelievably small percentage of revenue that filters down to lower and non-league football/hype/EPPP/the fact that despite the Premier League’s rhetoric, England are no better now than when it started. Oh, and hype.

Still, it’s okay because every oxf*rd oxf*rd that sits at home watching the matches from their armchair gets to be part of the ‘entertainment’, paying Rupert Murdoch and his organisation wads of cash to ensure that it goes on and on, clogging up the phone-ins, Twitter, Facebook etc. with Shitpeas-esque commentary. We get what we deserve.

In summary, after balanced reflection, it's because I oxf*rd hate Rupert Murdoch.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Mar 2013 16:57

Christof Scheduling/rescheduling/ticket prices/hype/all stats that start with ‘since 1992’/being patronised/being ignored/being mocked/Harry Redknapp/unrealistic fan expectations/plastic fans/jester hats/Viagogo ticket reselling/hype/’Super Sunday’/biased refereeing/uninformed water cooler gibber from post-Nick Hornby ‘fans’ after watching 10 seconds of goals on MotD/hype/Alan Shearer/’the Promised Land’/’the £90m game’/players’ wages/Richard Scudamore/the unbelievably small percentage of revenue that filters down to lower and non-league football/hype/EPPP/the fact that despite the Premier League’s rhetoric, England are no better now than when it started. Oh, and hype.

Still, it’s okay because every oxf*rd oxf*rd that sits at home watching the matches from their armchair gets to be part of the ‘entertainment’, paying Rupert Murdoch and his organisation wads of cash to ensure that it goes on and on, clogging up the phone-ins, Twitter, Facebook etc. with Shitpeas-esque commentary. We get what we deserve.

In summary, after balanced reflection, it's because I oxf*rd hate Rupert Murdoch.

If it's any help I use internet streaming and don't pay a red cent for any of that.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Mar 2013 16:57

Although I agree with most of that rant.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Mar 2013 18:28

HoneyRoastHoax I do wish people would stop moaning about new fans. We want money and invenstment, that comes from new fans. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and ecouraged to spend their money with us rather than the bigger clubs.

Agree totally. We were all new fans at some point and I bet most people started supporting in years of relative success.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 18 Mar 2013 18:31

The worst thing about the PL is being relegated.

Jude the Obscure

by Jude the Obscure » 18 Mar 2013 19:41

Royalee
Jude the Obscure
Royalee Doing things the Reading Way.

What like booing your team captain at the start of a difficult game at Old Trafford?

Were there clowns there doing that yesterday?

Yep. The away fans are always very good at the 'singing side of things' and 'having a go at the home supporters' side of things but some don't seem to have a clue when it comes to what really matters -ACTUALLY SUPPORTING THE TEAM!! The 2 guys in front of me were very vocal (in a good way mainly) but left before the end so didn't even bother to acknowledge the team when they came over after the final whistle. Geez!!