BFTG - Ipswich

416 posts
Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Ipswich

by Agent Balti » 03 Aug 2013 18:44

Agreed with the 'nerves' comment. Thought we looked quite shaky just before and after Tabby scored, typically. (He never scored for us, did he?) Way too many long diagonal pings to nothing in the first half. First touch at times was very suspect.

Second half, Drenthe came into it more, McCleary started to drop deeper to receive Guthrie's vision, we started to look much more threatening as a result. The winner was no more than we deserved. Not sure how much of a deflection it was, but it seemed to be sizeable, but who gives a shit, it went in!

Impressed with: Royston, Williams, Bridge, Guthrie, Gunter. Morrison as Cap'n.

Kitten inducing: McCarthy (kicking only), Morrison (only for shinning the ball!)

Meh: Pearce.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 03 Aug 2013 18:46

windermere_royal
Sweet FA
RedRum Can't say much more than what was said on the radio: started well, went a bit off after their goal but superb 2nd half.

McCarthy - 7 - some great saves and commanding in the box - but never really seems comfortable with the ball at his feet
Gunter - 7 - solid
Pearce - 6 - don't feel comfortable when he's passing the ball but won a lot in the air as expected
Morrison - 7 - commanding
Bridge - 7 - same as Gunter really but looked a real pro and got forward well.
Karacan - 7 - kept things ticking along
Guthrie - 9 - MOM by a mile. Was all over the pitch
Robson-Kanu - 6 - didn't see a lot of him - got in the box well
Drenthe - 8 - Prefer him out wide but he was explosive and will continue to be exciting this season. Great character.
McCleary - 7 - could of done better with a couple of breaks but though he gave their right back all sorts of problems today
Le Fondre - 6 - not a lot he could do. Got dominated for most of the game

Williams - 8 - really good when he came on - burst forward superbly
McAnuff - 6 - wasted time well - but a few crosses in
Pog - 5 - did oxf*rd all really - looked really unconfident

The boos before he'd even kicked a ball took care of that.

+1 disgusting behaviour ,

+2 - What exactly has the guy done to deserve all this stick?? I just don't get it.

RedRum

by RedRum » 03 Aug 2013 18:46

windermere_royal
Sweet FA
RedRum
Pog - 5 - did oxf*rd all really - looked really unconfident

The boos before he'd even kicked a ball took care of that.

+1 disgusting behaviour ,

Exactly. I wanted Pog to start ahead of Alfie and don't get all the stick he gets. Same when Jobi came on really - and when every time we passed it back to Alex. The negativity is not exactly going to help....

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 03 Aug 2013 18:48

Forgot to add, great goal from Guthrie!

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 03 Aug 2013 18:48

I get the feeling Pog is undeservedly the official "escapegoat" for what happened last season... :roll:

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 03 Aug 2013 18:48

The less said about the pointless Pogrebnyak the better.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 03 Aug 2013 18:52

Libertine I get the feeling Pog is undeservedly the official "escapegoat" for what happened last season... :roll:

He was decent for us last year & worked fcuking hard which is what makes it even more strange. I wouldn't blame the guy if he left now!

I do despair at our 'fans' sometimes. Just what does booing someone when they've not even kicked the ball yet actually achieve??

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 03 Aug 2013 18:53

Whilst I disagree with and never would boo Pog before he touches the ball, he's always been pretty oxf*rd useless since he joined us.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 03 Aug 2013 18:53

Reading 2 - Ipswich 1

Drummer in the northeast corner was a pain in the ass. Reading tried to play football in the 1st half but looked very ineffective. Ipswich did well to get into the game. Jay Tabb in the right place at the right time to score his first goal at the Madejski stadium despite spending 4 years at Reading before signing for Ipswich. The remainder of the half was very bitty. A Drenthe corner went all the way across to the other wing amd Mcleary picked it up and delivered a good cross for Lefondre the nod home . 1-1 halftime Ipswich Town were the better team in the first half. I was having flashbacks to the dire ineffective football played under Rodgers. 2nd half started and Ipswich went on to the attack not looking good for Reading but then Reading seemed to start to create chances initially thought Mcleary but then the midfield got in to the game Guthries strike had a bit of a deflection which put it out of reach of the Ipswich keeper. Jay Tabb nearly scored a second for Ipswich but pulled his shot wide. Williams came on for Drenthe and looked impressive. Mcanuff came on for kanu and looked as useless as simon church. The Russian carthorse came on for Lefondre and lost the ball a few times. All I all rubbish 1st half decent 2nd half. I won't be betting on either side to gain promotion on this showing. End of the day 3 points and Adkins showed he can change to a direct style of play if needed. Danny Guthrie man of the match.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 03 Aug 2013 18:54

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 03 Aug 2013 18:56

Will95 Whilst I disagree with and never would boo Pog before he touches the ball, he's always been pretty oxf*rd useless since he joined us.

Agree, no need to boo, but he has been awful for easily 90% of games. For such a big bloke he can't jump for toffee. His first touch is shocking for such a high profile player on vastly inflated wages, and he doesn't work nearly as hard as some claim.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Aug 2013 18:58

MmmMonsterMunch
Libertine I get the feeling Pog is undeservedly the official "escapegoat" for what happened last season... :roll:

He was decent for us last year & worked fcuking hard which is what makes it even more strange. I wouldn't blame the guy if he left now!

I do despair at our 'fans' sometimes. Just what does booing someone when they've not even kicked the ball yet actually achieve??

Got nothing against the guy, and I had a "word" with a prick behind me that booed before he had actually come on. but I think it would be better for all parties if he moved on. so bloody sad that so many fools can boo one of our own in the first game of the season.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 03 Aug 2013 18:59

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2013/8/3 ... the-tables

My match report, some nice photos and that

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 03 Aug 2013 19:01

First half was poor, reminiscent of the Rodgers era, but got the goal before half time - cracking cross from McCleary and fair play to ALF for winning the header.

Second half was a totally different story; we were all over Ipswich who looked totally outclassed and panicked whenever the ball came near them. I'm totally ghey for Royston who is a class above everyone else when on the ball, Williams looked like he could be similar.

Thought the defence looked solid but McCarthy, Pearce and Morrison don't look particularly comfortable on the ball which doesn't help when trying to pass it out from the back. Thought Guthrie was good but not MOTM, quite a few wayward passes and waving of arms, he also seemed to throw his toys out the pram a bit with Gunter in the first half which is never nice to see. Didn't really create enough chances, still think we could do with one more signing, attacking mid/striker area.

All in all though happy days. Expected a slow start and we really turned it on in the second half. Bring on Bolton.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Aug 2013 19:03

Well the 2nd half was half decent and should give some cause for cautious optimism. We're not really suited to playing carpet football with the likes of Pearce and Karacan in our team but on balance we edged it. Took a v good save from McCarthy at 1-1 to stop us going behind and the less said about the opener the better, shocking defending. But Guthrie generally used the ball well, Drenthe got the crowd going with some skill, typical ALF: goal and little else. HRK was absolutely dreadful and is better than that meek effort today. I liked Williams cameo, looks v decent.

Good to get a win, important to take the pressure off.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 03 Aug 2013 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 03 Aug 2013 19:04

windermere_royal
MmmMonsterMunch

Got nothing against the guy, and I had a "word" with a prick behind me that booed before he had actually come on. but I think it would be better for all parties if he moved on. so bloody sad that so many fools can boo one of our own in the first game of the season.

Well I'm sure he will be out asap now so no worries there!

Fuming @ Jobi getting booed though. Thought that was absolutely disgusting.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 03 Aug 2013 19:07

MmmMonsterMunch Fuming @ Jobi getting booed though. Thought that was absolutely disgusting.

He got booed? Ridiculous.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Aug 2013 19:08

Divvy
Pleased to see McAnuff dropped.

Poor decision.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 03 Aug 2013 19:17

LoyalRoyalFan
Divvy

Poor decision.

Agreed. McCleary was appalling, especially with that assist. :roll:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Aug 2013 19:23

Agent Balti
LoyalRoyalFan
Divvy

Poor decision.

Agreed. McCleary was appalling, especially with that assist. :roll:

I didn't say anything of the sort. McAnuff was one of our best players last season and should have started in place of the half-fit HRK.

416 posts