The Reading Mismatch

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Reading Mismatch

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Aug 2013 23:40

FridaysGhost
NewCorkSeth
FridaysGhost We have currently lost about 14 players and salaries and have spent 1.5m buying three good players. Given our squad, a proven goalscorer would virtually guarantee promotion. If that cost 5m or 10m, given the prize, why should that be a problem?

What? what players did we lose? name 14. 10 million is a huge investment! This is one of the toughest looking Championship seasons promotion is by no means guaranteed regardless of whether we splash out money we dont have.

Oh, for god's sake. Look at who we have let go, loaned, not extended contracts - it is more than 14. We have brought a few people into the youth team and spent 1.5m on transfers. We have three good players in but, compared to other Championship teams, we are showing a distinct lack of ambition. I know we have high-salary players who we don't want but, whose fault is that? Anton made a big mistake with The Pog, let him pay for it!

Name 14

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 15 Aug 2013 23:54

You obviously don't keep up with the club ins and outs. Either believe the truth or find out for yourself. RFC have got rid of 14+ players since the end of last season. They weren't all first team, but they all had salaries.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Aug 2013 23:59

How many first teamers left? because releasing youth players doesnt really add that much money to the pot from wages recouped.. and surely most the money we recouped has been spent on the 3 high profile transfers weve already completed?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2013 00:03

1 - Simon Church
2 - Brett Williams
3 - Joseph Mills
4 - Noel Hunt
5 - Jay Tabb
6 - Charlie Losasso
7 - Ian Harte
8 - Nicky Shorey
9 - Nick Bignall
10 - Angus MacDonald

Name 4 more. Transfermarket says these are our only transfers out.

CemeteryJ

by CemeteryJ » 16 Aug 2013 00:03

FridaysGhost wrote:
Anton made a big mistake with The Pog, let him pay for it!

Unfortunately that's not the way it works, is it.

Either we have the money in the bank and the club take the hit and buy a player
OR
Anton LOANS the club the cash so we owe him the money, he's not an idiot and there's no way he's spunking £5+ mil at this stage with a decent 4 points from 6, especially with time to secure a loan if needed.

We could end up in the financial position of Chelsea, they owe Abramovich a reported £1 Billi :shock: n because of that kind of spending

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 16 Aug 2013 00:11

Jay Tabb, Simon Church, Noel Hunt, Nicky Shorey, do I need to keep on going. A lot of junior players were also let go. Since then, a lot of junior players have been loaned out. Which bit of 'lots out - 'few in' don't you understand? Also, which bit of 'Buy a decent striker' gives you problems?

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 16 Aug 2013 00:17

NewCorkSeth 1 - Simon Church
2 - Brett Williams
3 - Joseph Mills
4 - Noel Hunt
5 - Jay Tabb
6 - Charlie Losasso
7 - Ian Harte
8 - Nicky Shorey
9 - Nick Bignall
10 - Angus MacDonald

Name 4 more. Transfermarket says these are our only transfers out.

And if you read what I said, loans out and simple refusals to extend contracts.

Both youth and other players. You have proved my point. Thank You!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2013 00:21

FridaysGhost Jay Tabb, Simon Church, Noel Hunt, Nicky Shorey, do I need to keep on going. A lot of junior players were also let go. Since then, a lot of junior players have been loaned out. Which bit of 'lots out - 'few in' don't you understand? Also, which bit of 'Buy a decent striker' gives you problems?

Yeah I googled it. 10 players left the club on transfer and 5 on loan. That is all. What you struggle to understand is that these players were on fcuk all wage wise. The three weve signed are on about 65k combined by my guesstimations. I doubt sincerely the 10 players we let go of had a combined wage total of anywhere near that figure. thats why lots out few in doesnt matter! we realeased 7 players who did not feature in the first team last season..
I have no problem with buying a striker but not for 5 million. Its unnecessary.

I didnt prove your point, your point made no sense as I addressed in the above paragraph.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Aug 2013 07:29

Oh come on, If you are going to count youth players and the likes of Brett Williams, all of whom never played for the first team in your list of players out then you have to count every new recruit to the academy as a player in.

So of players who have had any significant input into the first team, we have lost Shorey, Harte, Mills, Tabb, Church and Hunt.

Mills and Church didn't feature last season, Bridge is a more than adequate replacement for Shorey and Harte and Williams is a more than adequate replacement for Tabb.

Of those 6, Hunt is the only one I could see still having something to offer and even then, not as a lone striker which is what we are looking for.

No-one denies we need another striker, the argument is whether or not we spend £5m on a name player or search for the right player to fit our system and not get drawn into an auction.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 16 Aug 2013 08:35

We just need Jordan Rhodes, don't we Ghost / Siege / Wearing?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 16 Aug 2013 08:38

FridaysGhost There are (or have been) good contributors to this site. Ian_Royal and Melonhead are not these but why do they think they are? This is a football site and a Reading site. Why do so many contributors think that talking cr*p on this site somehow turns them into someone? They are still simply failures who use an internet site to pretend otherwise. Get a life - and let us talk about RFC sensibly without your rubbish!

:lol:

I like this guy.

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 16 Aug 2013 09:58

FridaysGhost There are (or have been) good contributors to this site. Ian_Royal and Melonhead are not these but why do they think they are? This is a football site and a Reading site. Why do so many contributors think that talking cr*p on this site somehow turns them into someone? They are still simply failures who use an internet site to pretend otherwise. Get a life - and let us talk about RFC sensibly without your rubbish!

Irony Explosion!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 16 Aug 2013 10:04

Ian Royal
FridaysGhost We have a good Manager who is determined to play a certain formation 4-5-1 (no plan B). p.s. remember Brendan Rodgers. And who wants to pass from the back.

Well, we have a good manager who wants to play a certain way and pass from the back. There's no evidence he has no plan B at all.
Looking at his history, there's no evidence to suggest he will need one.

Didn't we play 4-5-1 under McDermott with Gylfi behind the striker?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 16 Aug 2013 10:09

FridaysGhost Jay Tabb, Simon Church, Noel Hunt, Nicky Shorey, do I need to keep on going. A lot of junior players were also let go. Since then, a lot of junior players have been loaned out. Which bit of 'lots out - 'few in' don't you understand? Also, which bit of 'Buy a decent striker' gives you problems?

Yes you do because you said that there were more than 14. So name 14! Oh you can't :lol: is that because you are full of shit and this now makes the rest of you points in this thread also shit??

:lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Aug 2013 10:39

thread title makes no sense, bears no relation to the thread

MODS!delete this filth

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Aug 2013 10:56

Is the OP 1TeaminBerks albeit now with spell check facilities?

Deary me.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Aug 2013 11:01

FridaysGhost We have a good Manager who is determined to play a certain formation 4-5-1 (no plan B). p.s. remember Brendan Rodgers. And who wants to pass from the back.

Well for a start, one of Rodgers' major problems was he kept chopping and changing the formation. We started with a Mourinho-style 4-3-3, but switched to a 4-4-2 and also tried a 4-3-3 with three attacking midfielders, off the top of my head.

Adkins used 4-4-2 most of the time at Scunthorpe and Southampton. He only started using 4-2-3-1 regularly in his final season at Southampton. Even as Reading manager, several times he used Pogrebnyak and Hunt up front together. He doesn't play a rigid short passing game, but will launch the ball into the box when occasion demands (he practically made Rickie Lambert's career with these long ball tactics). He's a pragmatist, not an idealist like Rodgers.

We have a good squad who, for years, have played 4-4-2 and used the flanks. With Centre-backs who cannot pass from the back.

I agree about the good squad. What you have to remember though is that our squad hasn't "used 4-4-2 for years". Our team might have, but our current squad isn't made up of players who have been in our team for years. I'll grant you Pearce, Karacan, Kebe and McAnuff, and Leigertwood and Cummings if they're involved, but other than that our outfield players are overwhelmingly recent recruits who have played in a wide variety of styles in recent years. Even then, not so long ago McAnuff spent a year playing for Brendan Rodgers and they've all spent 5 months training and playing for Adkins already.

I think all our centre backs are reasonable passers. You don't need to be Beckenbauer, you just need to be better than Sonko. It wasn't so long ago that Sean Morrison was kicking clearances over Sixfields, and now he's unrecognisable.

We have a good midfield.

No arguments from me.

We have no-one on our books (except for Roberts(retired)) who can play the forward role in a 4-5-1.

Pogrebnyak can (he's certainly looked better at it than Roberts), Samuel can, and hopefully Blackman, Le Fondre and Ugwu can adjust to it.

Our Owner expects an immediate return to the Premiership whilst definately retaining the Reading Way of transfers - a situation which has been proved wrong every time the team has tried to progress.

No it hasn't. That's just outright wrong. We have three promotions under Pards, Coppell and McDermott from conservative approaches with the odd gamble (Lita). We also stayed up in the Premier League under Coppell and had a Championship play-off campaign under each manager.

Our two worst seasons of late were the two where we spent the most money!
Will Reading end in a promotion position? You tell me.

I can't see the future, but the odds are good.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Aug 2013 11:34

Ian_Royal and Melonhead are not these but why do they think they are?

how dare you lump me in with ian.
& i dont think im a good poster.
my motto has always been quantity over quality.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Aug 2013 11:50

The best thing I can say in Brendy's favour is that idiots (and floyd) always disagree with him.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Aug 2013 12:02

:D