Striker

Which striker would you most like at Reading FC?

Cameron Jerome
25%
Luchiano Becchio
16%
Carlton Cole
6%
Mldaen Petric
21%
Joseph Akpala
5%
Ibou
3%
Paddy Madden
5%
Other
21%

Total votes: 106
tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Striker

by tee peg » 29 Aug 2013 09:52

FridaysGhost This says it all. The Striker(s) we actually needed have already been bought or have had their contracts extended. We are left to discuss the dross and, even then, one or two of the players mentioned may want to be paid properly. Cameron Jerome or Carlton Cole might just do a job for us but they pale into insignificance compared to the Forwards we could have had if the Ownership and Management were serious! We are still a Premiership club (aspirations) with a Div 1 financial mentality (reality).

So much for the Dream!

A bit like being left with all the ugly birds on the dance floor at closing time.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 29 Aug 2013 10:08

bigmike

1 Good goal wow hes amazing.. Give him a contract extension and a pay rise.

maybe he can score a good goal this season too. :roll:[/quote]

If he gets given proper service and some game time he would score more than alf. who cost us points at Bolton and Watford

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 10:16

Nicky Maynard scored a gr8 goal last night.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Aug 2013 10:41

If he gets given proper service and some game time he would score more than alf

lol

Tommio

by Tommio » 29 Aug 2013 10:46

HoneyRoastHoax
bigmike

maybe he can score a good goal this season too. :roll:

If he gets given proper service and some game time he would score more than alf. who cost us points at Bolton and Watford[/quote]

That means ALF wasn't given proper service, so how did he score 12 goals in the prem?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 29 Aug 2013 10:51

Lalala Rougier

by Lalala Rougier » 29 Aug 2013 10:52

Tommio
HoneyRoastHoax
bigmike

maybe he can score a good goal this season too. :roll:

If he gets given proper service and some game time he would score more than alf. who cost us points at Bolton and Watford

That means ALF wasn't given proper service, so how did he score 12 goals in the prem?[/quote]

Because ALF is actually a good striker whereas Pog is a lazy useless turd.

Tommio

by Tommio » 29 Aug 2013 10:55

Because ALF is actually a good striker whereas Pog is a lazy useless turd.[/quote]

That's my point, pog is good when he puts in effort. The only problem is that he never puts in effort.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 29 Aug 2013 11:10

Vaz Te's handed in a transfer request and apparently we're being linked with him. Where I can't see but. All I can see is a load of reading fans on twitter asking if we'd actually like him

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 29 Aug 2013 11:13

kwik-silva Vaz Te's handed in a transfer request and apparently we're being linked with him. Where I can't see but. All I can see is a load of reading fans on twitter asking if we'd actually like him

Going to Cardiff

secks

by secks » 29 Aug 2013 11:23

Marlon King to leave Birmingham - please no! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23869717

Royals1871J

by Royals1871J » 29 Aug 2013 11:28

HoneyRoastHoax
Royals1871J
Tommio We don't need cole...
Pog is better than cole

oxf*rd me. Absolutely clueless.
<Clueless

oxf*rd off newbie

He scored a good goal last season. He should probably sign for Real Madrid now. He is just world class.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 11:29

Good player, but certainly not world class. Would be very surprised to see Real Madrid come in for him.

Royals1871J

by Royals1871J » 29 Aug 2013 11:33

Pepe the Horseman Good player, but certainly not world class. Would be very surprised to see Real Madrid come in for him.

No. 100% they will want to sign him because scoring 1 decent goal makes you a world beater.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 11:34

Royals1871J
Pepe the Horseman Good player, but certainly not world class. Would be very surprised to see Real Madrid come in for him.

No. 100% they will want to sign him because scoring 1 decent goal makes you a world beater.

I disagree.

Royals1871J

by Royals1871J » 29 Aug 2013 11:37

Pepe the Horseman
Royals1871J

I disagree.

Well because he is just so good Bayern and Barca will probably want him as well.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Aug 2013 11:59

HoneyRoastHoax If he gets given proper service and some game time he would score more than alf. who cost us points at Bolton and Watford

STOP THE PRESS HoneyRoastHoax talking

:lol:

MM

by MM » 29 Aug 2013 12:07

None of the above.

What we need is the right kind of striker, not just any striker. It's very unlikely we will be able to do that at this stage anyway. ALF is a great finisher, but cannot play alone up there, hence he is largely ineffective through no fault of his own.

Nigel will either have to change the whole philosophy of his attacking formation, or we need a player who can fit the system. Madden and Sharp may have some 'finishing' ability, but are totally not the right type, it will serve less purpose than playing ALF up there on his own. As much as I like Hooper, I don't feel he was the right fit for us either, for the same reason.

Clearly, the likes of Carlton Cole, Jerome etc do not score enough goals. That is all well and good if you have others who will do that, but we do not have that ability and potential in our squad. So it is imperative that this striker can play the role and score the bulk of the goals. Also, should we ever use two strikers, he should be a capable and complimentary partner of ALF. Basically, we need a 'new' Shane Long.

There are few players who can combine all these factors, for a fee that we would pay, whilst we are at this level. We should have had this sorted out more than a month ago, but maybe the right player has not been available. He is even less likely to be available now, in my opinion, unless we accept that the fee is inflated, or we take a gamble 'just to do something'.

Despite the questionable stories about his off-pitch activities, Charlie Austin is exactly the type of forward we needed. But, given everything else attached to him, I was neither surprised or too disappointed that we did not make that signing. There are very few other options that immediately strike you as being obviously the right fit. I'm not suggesting these names as realistic signings for us, but we need a player of similar style and quality to Chris Wood, Yannick N'Djeng or even Leonardo Ulloa/Alfred Finnbogason.

Whilst I have thought this striker signing was our biggest need all summer, this should not mask the fact that we have other issues in other areas of the pitch. I don't give a **** about the COC, and was not at all shocked by a defeat against a very in-form Posh team, but the manner of the defeat, and inability of those promoted to the team to put themselves in contention for a proper start, was shocking and embarrassing. I don't blame NA for that, but he does need to make sure the whole squad is good enough, and ready enough when called upon.

Right now, on paper, I feel we look strong, but the balance of the squad is far from right, not just in this crucial striking role. Hopefully NA will get this right and we can all have an enjoyable season, but I would have preferred us not to be scrapping around for these vital components at this exact stage of the season.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 29 Aug 2013 13:05

Tommio
FridaysGhost This says it all. The Striker(s) we actually needed have already been bought or have had their contracts extended. We are left to discuss the dross and, even then, one or two of the players mentioned may want to be paid properly. Cameron Jerome or Carlton Cole might just do a job for us but they pale into insignificance compared to the Forwards we could have had if the Ownership and Management were serious! We are still a Premiership club (aspirations) with a Div 1 financial mentality (reality).

So much for the Dream!

We don't need cole...
Pog is better than cole

Pog thinks he's a frigging superstar and should do one, he's shit

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 29 Aug 2013 13:16

bigmike
HoneyRoastHoax If he gets given proper service and some game time he would score more than alf. who cost us points at Bolton and Watford

STOP THE PRESS HoneyRoastHoax talking

:lol:

says the man who lied to an internet spaz board for about 2 months about a signing for the lolz

hahaha