Brighton (H) - Official Match thread sponsored by Glitter

267 posts
JimmytheJim

Re: Brighton (H) - Official Match thread sponsored by Glitte

by JimmytheJim » 15 Sep 2013 17:48

Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley What a load of gash. So much for the Adkins 'football revolution'. Lets play tippy tappy at the back under pressure, and then when we have time lets hoof it. At least under Brian it was consistent AND effective*.

*In the Championship - where we are now, and destined to stay with these tactics.

It's going to take a while for us to catch up for the lack of footballing evolution under McDermott.

We could go back to hoofing it, but that would be a short term fix. We need to accept that it is going to take a while, particularly if the club aren't going to invest to support the manager.

But we ARE hoofing it. I don't know where people have got the idea that we are playing neat passing football. We're not. It's all long balls from the back four, straight down the opposition throats, like an unannounced ejaculation.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Sep 2013 17:50

Well yes we are still hoofing it on occasion. We are in a position of transition and the players we have will revert to type at times.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 15 Sep 2013 17:50

Too much foreplay, not enough penetration, pre-mature ejaculation......are we all talking about the same thing :?: :?:

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 15 Sep 2013 17:52

Just read Adkins comments about the Pav red card. Utter drivel.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 15 Sep 2013 17:55

Avon Royal Well yes we are still hoofing it on occasion. We are in a position of transition and the players we have will revert to type at times.

Not on occasion. We had around 35% possession in the first half. That isn't 'occasional'.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 15 Sep 2013 17:58

BenSmith91 Just read Adkins comments about the Pav red card. Utter drivel.

Out of interest, what part was utter drivel? Spoke to JR in the hotel bar after the game about the Pog's 2 yellows, perhaps you should tweet him and ask him his opinion

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 15 Sep 2013 18:04

Marcus Crassus

Out of interest, what part was utter drivel? Spoke to JR in the hotel bar after the game about the Pog's 2 yellows, perhaps you should tweet him and ask him his opinion

The OS takes the stance that both bookings were debatable, I entirely disagree, and Adkins says on the second challenge that it 'was a clear foul, but a man of his stature is presumed not to go down'. I think this is a load of rubbish, both from the OS and Adkins.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 Sep 2013 18:05

JimmytheJim
Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley What a load of gash. So much for the Adkins 'football revolution'. Lets play tippy tappy at the back under pressure, and then when we have time lets hoof it. At least under Brian it was consistent AND effective*.

*In the Championship - where we are now, and destined to stay with these tactics.

It's going to take a while for us to catch up for the lack of footballing evolution under McDermott.

We could go back to hoofing it, but that would be a short term fix. We need to accept that it is going to take a while, particularly if the club aren't going to invest to support the manager.

But we ARE hoofing it. I don't know where people have got the idea that we are playing neat passing football. We're not. It's all long balls from the back four, straight down the opposition throats, like an unannounced ejaculation.

Yeah we are, but nowhere near as much as under McDermot. Where we watching the same match?

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 15 Sep 2013 18:11

BenSmith91
Marcus Crassus

The OS takes the stance that both bookings were debatable, I entirely disagree, and Adkins says on the second challenge that it 'was a clear foul, but a man of his stature is presumed not to go down'. I think this is a load of rubbish, both from the OS and Adkins.

Sorry, are you saying that you disagree with NA. If so, your view is also the diametric opposite of JR's

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 15 Sep 2013 18:19

kwik-silva Yeah we are, but nowhere near as much as under McDermot. Where we watching the same match?

This argument about who played longer balls is inane.

Reading won the championship not so long ago playing effective football. Southampton (under Adkins) came 2nd. I beg anyone to quote a post of theirs from that era where they were brave enough to speak up that Reading were playing the wrong "brand of football"*

*to quote a favourite saying of Nigel's arse-lickers

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Sep 2013 18:48

Cureton's Volley Reading won the championship not so long ago playing effective football. Southampton (under Adkins) came 2nd.

Yeah, I know the Saints are still really cut up about that. :roll:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 15 Sep 2013 18:52

Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley Reading won the championship not so long ago playing effective football. Southampton (under Adkins) came 2nd.

I agree they are all laughing now they've ditched Perma-Nige back to Championship mediocrity where he left off...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Sep 2013 18:55

Cureton's Volley
kwik-silva Yeah we are, but nowhere near as much as under McDermot. Where we watching the same match?

This argument about who played longer balls is inane.

Reading won the championship not so long ago playing effective football. Southampton (under Adkins) came 2nd. I beg anyone to quote a post of theirs from that era where they were brave enough to speak up that Reading were playing the wrong "brand of football"*

I certainly didn't say it- I thought we'd be fine, look a Norwich- but there were certainly people saying our style wouldn't work in the Premier League.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 15 Sep 2013 18:59

Platypuss Get Drenthe out of the first team until he can lose a stone.

I thought you had to meet a certain fitness level to play for the 1st Team

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Sep 2013 19:00

JimmytheJim

You need to watch the game !
Second half everything was played wide, down the wings, Bridge was our main attacking threat and Gunter was also heavily involved. Pearce and Morrison ran the ball more than they 'hoofed' it - although I'm not sure which is the more effective !
We're not playing like Barcelona (I'd be shocked if we were !) but we're not letting the centre backs hit long balls to our non existent forward line.

In any case, I wouldn't care if we were, if it meant the odd goal !

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Sep 2013 19:02

Cureton's Volley
Avon Royal

I agree they are all laughing now they've ditched Perma-Nige back to Championship mediocrity where he left off...

Why so bitter?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Sep 2013 14:57

We're definitely not hoofing it as much as with Brian. Way more passing and good build-up play. Stay with it guys, this was ok yesterday. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2013 15:16

Cureton's Volley

I beg anyone to quote a post of theirs from that era where they were brave enough to speak up that Reading were playing the wrong "brand of football"*

I'm on record as saying we weren't the best, second-best or even third-best team when we won the Championship under McD. WHU and Saints were better teams and squads than us

I'm on record as saying we were lucky, gave away too many chances and other sides blew it.

I'm on record as saying we stole the division .

I'm on record as saying we would never get away with such play in the Prem.

I was chuffed we won the league, but it was a freak combination of events. We were, at best, a play-off side.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2013 15:26

Archie's penalty We're definitely not hoofing it as much as with Brian. Way more passing and good build-up play. Stay with it guys, this was ok yesterday. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Well said.

We've lost Kebe and Marriappa, had LWood out (a big miss, IMO), are waiting for HRK to regain form and fitness, and are missing McCleary, were just bringing Pog back into the fold...

And despite all that, and the doom and gloom, we have had one dumb defeat, 1-0 away to the team still top of the league.

We are playing much nicer football. Note how many times Pearce broke forward and found Bridge second half.

The side lacks a bit of confidence but once we get a couple of back to back wins, I think we will start to look better every game.

How many points did most of us expect after our first six games?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2013 15:49

Snowball
Cureton's Volley

I beg anyone to quote a post of theirs from that era where they were brave enough to speak up that Reading were playing the wrong "brand of football"*

I'm on record as saying we weren't the best, second-best or even third-best team when we won the Championship under McD. WHU and Saints were better teams and squads than us

I'm on record as saying we were lucky, gave away too many chances and other sides blew it.

I'm on record as saying we stole the division .

I'm on record as saying we would never get away with such play in the Prem.

I was chuffed we won the league, but it was a freak combination of events. We were, at best, a play-off side.

and thats why no one listens to a word you say any more

267 posts