by tlcs » 22 Oct 2014 18:14

Tony Puliss

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Who do you want?

by RoyalBlue » 22 Oct 2014 18:26

Other - Nigel Adkins thank you very much.

Tony Pulis - well he's clearly going to be itching to come to Reading and have to make do rather than spending any money!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Oct 2014 18:30

Royalclapper
blueroyals No idea.

The recipe for success of the moment seems to be Swansea or Southampton.

Two teams who's foundations were laid by two managers who've managed us (and failed) in the last 5 years. One sacked and one in danger of.

What does that tell you about this club? I'm happy to stick with Adkins, failing that somebody who is going to continue the job he's tried to do. If we go back to another hoof-ball merchant we'll be in exactly the same position in 4 years.

Yeah, agree with the overview here.

The options are:

1. Stick with Adkins or A.N. Other who is given the huge task of creating a sea change in philosophy/style of football which is going to be drawn out and painful at times (especially when there's not a great deal of cash sloshing about to throw at it).

2. Go with someone like McD/Mick McCarthy or the many other provincial style up 'n' at 'em type managers who will provide a fix for the competitive aspect of the team (but an entirely predictable and rustic version of football to watch).

3. Promote from within knowing that person will need less time to understand the squad and gel them quicker.

McD is not an 'up 'n' at 'em type manager' As he explained last week, and as I've said on numerous occasions, he plays a system and style to suit the players at his disposal.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Oct 2014 18:40

If Brian said at the event last week that he wouldn't come back, then that's disappointing but understandable.

I only hope that a replacement list is being drawn up by Hammond, and discrete feelers being put out to the Managers on that list who aren't currently working, because unless this turns around and quickly, Adkins will be gone no later than mid November (thus giving a new guy a chance to assess the squad and make suggestions for who he would like us to go for in January).

I hope he does turn it around as, unlike many on here, I have no personal animosity towards the current Manager; its all about the results we are getting and the direction where we are heading at a rapid rate of knots.

jellytot

by jellytot » 22 Oct 2014 18:44

Tony Pulis but doubt he would drop into the Chump, if not him then I suppose Parky as he loves the club and has a lot passion. He would drive us on. Personally if I were the Thais pile the cash on Pulis.

Hope NA turns it around!

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 22 Oct 2014 18:48

If Adkins goes in the next few weeks (which I don't think will happen) then I'd go for Dolan as I think he deserves a chance and would do a decent job with the young players coming through. If this current run continues and we end up in a full-on relegation battle (which I don't think will happen) I'd go for McDermott - he's more experienced at this level than many of the names mentioned, did an excellent job generally here and I'd certainly back him to keep us up if it came down to that.

The more time goes by, the more I think we sacked our previous manager too soon - I don't see how we could be in a worse position if Brian had stayed for longer. I certainly wouldn't be sorry if Adkins went and certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Brian returned. But I'm not generally in favour of sacking managers so I'd give Adkins a bit more time.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 22 Oct 2014 18:50

under the tin Mike Read is going to be available soon.

:D I'd rather Lou Reed!
Dolan, Parky, McD, Gunnarsson would all do for me.
Is Dylan Kerr into management now? I thought he'd be on his third liver transplant by now! He had the look of a proper boozer about him, a great laugh!!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Oct 2014 19:57

I wouldn't make any change this side of xmas unless things really start to tail off.

No way Parky - I've seen Bradford once this season live - they play anti football

Not sure re Dolan either - Di Matteo if he's interested and if the owners are serious about us progressing

Davezk

by Davezk » 22 Oct 2014 20:02

What are Dolan's credentials of managing a 1st team?

Managing youth teams and the first team are different and the transition might not be so straight forward.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Oct 2014 20:04

Davezk What are Dolan's credentials of managing a 1st team?

Managing youth teams and the first team are different and the transition might not be so straight forward.

They would at least want to play for him though???

Davezk

by Davezk » 22 Oct 2014 20:06

Eaststandman

If they were professional enough it wouldn't matter who the manager is.

I go to work and do my job irrespective of who my boss is.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Oct 2014 20:08

Davezk
Eaststandman

If they were professional enough it wouldn't matter who the manager is.

I go to work and do my job irrespective of who my boss is.

So Dolan would be a viable candidate for the job then?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Oct 2014 20:18

We've not had a jock for a while, and Billy "no comment" Davies is kicking stones.

Be careful out there

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 22 Oct 2014 20:25

Billie Holiday > Billy Bremner > Billy Crystal > Billy Joel > Billy Connolly > Billy Bunter > Billy Bragg > Billy the Paedo > Billy Davies

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Oct 2014 20:42

Wouldn't a fair chunk of our current first team have experience playing under him in the Academy?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Oct 2014 20:55

Mid Sussex Royal I wouldn't make any change this side of xmas unless things really start to tail off.

No way Parky - I've seen Bradford once this season live - they play anti football

Not sure re Dolan either - Di Matteo if he's interested and if the owners are serious about us progressing

At what point do things really tail off?! 1 win in 11? Fair enough in the Prem but not in this league. I reckon he has 4 games max to save his ass.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Oct 2014 21:08

Sanguine We really need to take a step back and think about what Reading FC looks like from the outside. Our current ownership situation surely makes us an unattractive proposition.

That whiff of desperation is almost tangible :|

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Oct 2014 21:14

sandman
Royalclapper
blueroyals No idea.

Two teams who's foundations were laid by two managers who've managed us (and failed) in the last 5 years. One sacked and one in danger of.

What does that tell you about this club? I'm happy to stick with Adkins, failing that somebody who is going to continue the job he's tried to do. If we go back to another hoof-ball merchant we'll be in exactly the same position in 4 years.

The options are:

1. Stick with Adkins or A.N. Other who is given the huge task of creating a sea change in philosophy/style of football which is going to be drawn out and painful at times (especially when there's not a great deal of cash sloshing about to throw at it).

2. Go with someone like McD/Mick McCarthy or the many other provincial style up 'n' at 'em type managers who will provide a fix for the competitive aspect of the team (but an entirely predictable and rustic version of football to watch).

3. Promote from within knowing that person will need less time to understand the squad and gel them quicker.

McD is not an 'up 'n' at 'em type manager' As he explained last week, and as I've said on numerous occasions, he plays a system and style to suit the players at his disposal.

Of course he is - played same way at Leeds too - long diagonal balls to the flanks was their sole tactic, ask any of their fans. If he'd wanted to play a diff way he had enough transfer windows at Reading to change particularly when we got to the Prem where that stoneage tactic was never going to keep us up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Oct 2014 21:53

sandman
Royalclapper
blueroyals No idea.

The options are:

Mid Sussex Royal Of course he is - played same way at Leeds too - long diagonal balls to the flanks was their sole tactic, ask any of their fans. If he'd wanted to play a diff way he had enough transfer windows at Reading to change particularly when we got to the Prem where that stoneage tactic was never going to keep us up.

With a £2.5 million transfer budget? Have a day off pal. How exactly are you going to replace Gylfi Sigurdsson with that as a transfer budget? It's so obvious I don't understand how you McD haters can't acknowledge that, you're perfectly happy to give Adkins the ownership/budget excuse but not McD.

Words from the man himself:

'We didn't play 442 when we had Gylfi'

'we played some lovely football in that half a season'

'I wouldn't say I was too loyal (to certain players), I didn't have much choice but to pick them'

244 posts