Royalty Points Review

132 posts
The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Royalty Points Review

by The Rouge » 13 Nov 2014 15:40

starliaison
The Real Sandhurst Royal Looks like some Star members have schemed up some new ideas to suit there needs

# Idea 3 – allow an adult with enough points to buy 2 tickets at the same time, with the other for a ‘linked’ junior member who does not have enough points

# Idea 4 – allow a transfer / donation of some Royalty Points to a member with a lower number of points, so long as the transferor still has more points than the person who gains. This could happen once only per season and during the close season only. (For example Bart has 1800 points and Lisa has 1250 – Bart transfers 260 points so he has 1540 and Lisa has 1510 and now they are likely to be in the same bracket to buy tickets at the same time.)

Absolutely baffled by this.

I think he meant 'their'.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 13 Nov 2014 16:05

starliaison
The example ZB has chosen to make his/her point is the most extreme you can find - 52 away games. I think one home season ticket and one cup match would come to the same total of 260 points but not sound anything like as dramatic.

But Bart and Lisa would already both have a season ticket (otherwise they would never be able to equalise their ticket priority) so to answer the question 'What would Lisa have to do in order to earn those points that Bart gave her' then she would have to attend a large number of games. Because the Royalty Point system is primarily based around Away ticket allocation then I feel the away ticket example stands. I stand by it.

Look, I know you've neatly summarized this point already and I know you've recognized the other side of the argument, and I apologise for being so pushy (and repetitive!) but I know what its like to be an exile and Ive been to dozens of games that Row E of Y24 would never dream of going to; and there is nothing more frustrating than suddenly being unable to get a ticket for the Emirates because Mr and Mrs One-Game-A-Year and their two kids have all decided to choose the same game this year to go to. We kind of accept that as exiles, but we shouldn't encourage it further.

I think I was originally responding to Handbags anyway who said that absolutely STH should be first. I even disagree with this. You get first dibs, you get the 255 points bribe - you get two bites of the cherry already, why give yourself a third bite by introducing a point swop system that will benefit ST holders far more than Membership card holders.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 13 Nov 2014 22:57

Star could we do ticket allocation on membership number? The lower your number = the more loyal you've been. I've only got 4000 in front of me then so should never struggle to get a ticket 8)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Nov 2014 09:53

LWJ Star could we do ticket allocation on membership number? The lower your number = the more loyal you've been. I've only got 4000 in front of me then so should never struggle to get a ticket 8)

How the hell did a young whipper-snapper like you get 2000 ahead of me?! NO.

It should be done on if you have a prime number, of course :wink:

hobnob
Site Admin

by hobnob » 14 Nov 2014 10:11

I think there's no way Royalty points should be worth less over time.
And it would be wrong to have old points expire.
Worst case it could be the points expire if you don't attend any games home or away for xx seasons.

Season ticket holders should get first pick, which covers "current fans", and then straight to Royalty points - as current.

Seems unfair that a long standing fan with zillions of points suddenly gets them taken away or worth less as he can't attend for whatever reason due to a change of circumstance.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Nov 2014 12:33

Think about that for a moment Hobnob, inflating away points would be done slowly so a fan would have to stop accumulating them for a long time, say 5 to 10 years, before they had any real effect on their priority in the queue. So why should they be able to jump the queue ahead of current customers?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Nov 2014 12:34

starliaison The idea of expiring Royalty Points after a certain number of years

This was met with paroxysms of rage in some quarters but the idea of inflating the value of Royalty Points over time is a clever and gentler way of addressing the issue which I think did have some support on this thread and should be looked at.

This is conditional on the additional inflated points being called Pie Points.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 14 Nov 2014 12:47

starliaison
The idea of expiring Royalty Points after a certain number of years

This was met with paroxysms of rage in some quarters but the idea of inflating the value of Royalty Points over time is a clever and gentler way of addressing the issue which I think did have some support on this thread and should be looked at.

Whether you like it or not expiring points is not likely for some time unless you make it a very short number of years. If you look at your points you will find a lump sum was imported in 2011 when the club changed their system so there is less than 4 years of history available, so point inflation is also much more practical.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 14 Nov 2014 13:03

starliaison
LWJ Star could we do ticket allocation on membership number? The lower your number = the more loyal you've been. I've only got 4000 in front of me then so should never struggle to get a ticket 8)

By being loyal since a young age :wink: Hence why I should be rewarded. :lol:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Nov 2014 13:45

LWJ
starliaison

By being loyal since a young age :wink: Hence why I should be rewarded. :lol:

Get off. I started when I was 8 and there was no Royalty Points, no membership numbers then. And no decimal coinage neither.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Nov 2014 13:46

westendgirl
starliaison
The idea of expiring Royalty Points after a certain number of years

Whether you like it or not expiring points is not likely for some time unless you make it a very short number of years. If you look at your points you will find a lump sum was imported in 2011 when the club changed their system so there is less than 4 years of history available, so point inflation is also much more practical.

Very true.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 14 Nov 2014 14:42

starliason,

can you tell us what the current points distribution is and what percentage of fans fall in each bracket when 'big' tickets go on away sale?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Nov 2014 15:41

Here's an example of why historical Royalty Points should be worth less than current Royalty Points

Millhouse has been to every game, home and away for the past 12 months and has vowed to support the team though thick and thin. They've just drawn Shelbyville away in the Duff Beer cup and with only 4,000 tickets available he misses out on getting a ticket to a bunch of old timers like Homer Simpson who last attended a game 7 years ago and have no intention of attending any other games other than this glamorous cup game.... to make matters worse, he later find out that Homer isn't even going to the game, he was just using his Royalty points to get a ticket for his Shebyville supporting college.

Another thing - I'm sure on occasions, you've had to have x number of Royalty points and then you can buy more than one ticket - How is that fair?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Nov 2014 15:54

Part of the problem is that fans with points can buy the tickets which earn them more points, so this keeps the goalposts moving for those unable to get enough points.

I have bought a ticket for an away game for a friend, I got some points our of it..... but it doesn't help my friend get on the points ladder and I may have prevented someone with points who genuinely wanted to go from getting a ticket, so this needs to be addressed.

Are points allocated on ticket sales or on attendance? - If you don't swipe in, do you still get points?

When fans are given banning orders, are their points wiped? - makes sense to do so

Offer Royalty points in return for completing club surveys and such like - Guaranteed way to get feedback from customers, as long as it is open to all.

Two tiered Royalty Points - Assuming you value current fans over historic fans, one for points this season, one for all time points - So tickets on sale as follows:
Day 1 200 Current Points
Day 2 150 Current Points or 2000 all time points
Day 3 100 Current Points or 1000 all time points
Maybe throw in away points into the mix, Have Day 1 for 100 Away points only? - All too complicated really.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Nov 2014 16:40

TFF starliason,

can you tell us what the current points distribution is and what percentage of fans fall in each bracket when 'big' tickets go on away sale?

Sorry, I can't cos I don't know.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Nov 2014 16:51

Forbury Lion Here's an example of why historical Royalty Points should be worth less than current Royalty Points

Millhouse has been to every game, home and away for the past 12 months and has vowed to support the team though thick and thin. They've just drawn Shelbyville away in the Duff Beer cup and with only 4,000 tickets available he misses out on getting a ticket to a bunch of old timers like Homer Simpson who last attended a game 7 years ago and have no intention of attending any other games other than this glamorous cup game.... to make matters worse, he later find out that Homer isn't even going to the game, he was just using his Royalty points to get a ticket for his Shebyville supporting college.

Another thing - I'm sure on occasions, you've had to have x number of Royalty points and then you can buy more than one ticket - How is that fair?

That's that argument well put. And makes the case for treating 'current away loyalists' as a special category.

On the other hand, and there's always another hand, Millhouse has only been going since Springfield got promoted to the Super League last year while Homer had been a regular for 35 years until his gout, which he is now dying from, got the better of him. And it's been Homer's life's ambition to see Springfield win at Shelbyville. Cue violins and tell Millhouse, for him, there's always next season. Though your final point about Homer giving the ticket is unforgiveable, of course.

As for your next post, you said it, too complicated.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 14 Nov 2014 16:57

starliaison
TFF starliason,

Sorry, I can't cos I don't know.

I'd have thought that pretty important in any discussion about the value of existing points.

But hey ho. As you were.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 15 Nov 2014 18:00

Forbury Lion
When fans are given banning orders, are their points wiped? - makes sense to do so

Why? You can get a banning order for anything these days.

Arrested whilst with a match ticket = banning order

Portsmouth Royal

by Portsmouth Royal » 15 Nov 2014 18:11

starliaison
Forbury Lion Here's an example of why historical Royalty Points should be worth less than current Royalty Points

That's that argument well put. And makes the case for treating 'current away loyalists' as a special category.

On the other hand, and there's always another hand, Millhouse has only been going since Springfield got promoted to the Super League last year while Homer had been a regular for 35 years until his gout, which he is now dying from, got the better of him. And it's been Homer's life's ambition to see Springfield win at Shelbyville. Cue violins and tell Millhouse, for him, there's always next season. Though your final point about Homer giving the ticket is unforgiveable, of course.

As for your next post, you said it, too complicated.

If Homer has spent his life putting far more time and money into the club than Milhouse has to date, why exactly shouldn't he get priority regardless of when he last went? Presumably the longer Homer stays away this will be equalised anyway as Milhouse puts more time and money in himself.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Nov 2014 02:42

They definitely need to reward regular away fans more. Also don't think season ticket holder priority is fair. For example, at the moment someone who has bought their first ST this season and has about 500 pts has priority over someone who had one for 10 years and has 4000 pts or whatever. Doesnt make sense to me. Yes, there probably should be a system that rewards ST holders as well, but currently it is pretty unbalanced.

132 posts