FAO Adkinsistas

116 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

FAO Adkinsistas

by floyd__streete » 26 Nov 2014 20:07

Q: assuming of course we lose to Norwich and then secure poor results against Bolton and Birmingham.....could you really have any complaints if Adkins then goes, as we will by then be entrenched in the bottom 3 :?:

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: FAO Adkinsistas

by Handsome Man » 26 Nov 2014 20:54

Sacking Rodgers was a mistake
Sacking McDermott was a mistake
I don't think we should make it a hat-trick

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Nov 2014 20:58

Handsome Man Sacking Rodgers was a mistake

Why was it a mistake? Within a matter of months we'd improved so dramatically that we were talking about a play-off push in Spring having been adrift in the bottom 3 in January. We also enjoyed our best FA Cup run in 83 years. The following season we reached the play off final. The season after we won the title in the thrilling fashion. All without Brendan Rodgers.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Nov 2014 21:01

And his work at Watford and Swansea suggests that even if he had been successful here he'd have been off at the first opportunity that came along.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular

by Handsome Man » 26 Nov 2014 21:17

floyd__streete

Why was it a mistake? Within a matter of months we'd improved so dramatically that we were talking about a play-off push in Spring having been adrift in the bottom 3 in January. We also enjoyed our best FA Cup run in 83 years. The following season we reached the play off final. The season after we won the title in the thrilling fashion. All without Brendan Rodgers.

We lost in a play-off final to Rodgers, and also lost our chance to develop a style of football that might have given us a chance in the Premiership when we sacked him.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 26 Nov 2014 21:23

Rodgers hasn't proven much IMO, but its a tough one to call. From a distance it looks like he's done well, which he has to a certain extent, but how much of that was down to him?

We know how much Suarez carried Liverpool last season, but when you look at his time here where he tried to change too much too quickly (though part of me still thinks had he been given more time he could have succeeded here), then at Swansea it seems as though he did the opposite (change very little) and did pretty well out of it. He inherited a decent side playing good football that was started by Martinez.

Though in fairness he did make a good move in signing Sigurdsson on loan in 2012 (who he obviously knew from his time at RFC), and signed Sturridge and Coutinho at Liverpool but apart from that he has made some pretty poor signings since he's been there.

I still think Liverpool could be a better side than they are now, including some of the signings he's made this season, but not sure he's the right man to make that happen.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Nov 2014 21:53

floyd__streete Q: assuming of course we lose to Norwich and then secure poor results against Bolton and Birmingham.....could you really have any complaints if Adkins then goes, as we will by then be entrenched in the bottom 3 :?:

I wouldn't have any complaints if he left now. Too many mistakes keep happening and there appears to be no passion or fighting spirit on the pitch. I can't see things improving any time soon.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Nov 2014 22:11

floyd__streete Q: assuming of course we lose to Norwich and then secure poor results against Bolton and Birmingham.....could you really have any complaints if Adkins then goes, as we will by then be entrenched in the bottom 3 :?:

If we lose all three? Not particularly.

Just like you couldn't really have any complaints when McDermott was sacked.

I think we'll probably do a little better than that though. And having no complaints if it happens doesn't make it the right decision, or in fact mean it'll happen.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 26 Nov 2014 22:20

Handsome Man a style of football that might have given us a chance in the Premiership.

If I hear this clichéd bollox again...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Nov 2014 22:32

Man Friday
Handsome Man a style of football that might have given us a chance in the Premiership.

If I hear this clichéd bollox again...

Perhaps you should go deaf then. There are plenty of others within football who would say the same. The majority of the teams that survive in the PL play that different style of football.

Faithful Son

by Faithful Son » 26 Nov 2014 22:41

I still remain unconvinced Adkins is the right man for the job. I know he has a proven track record but so far his time at RFC has been unimpressive. He certainly hasn't improved the teams results (even though the football this season has been more entertaining than last). He has made a few decent signings in midfield and attack but he seems reluctant to address our desperately calamitous defence. Our shortcomings in this department have been blindingly obvious for over a year but apart from the permanently crocked Ferdinand he has taken no steps to strengthen. It would also appear he and his coaching staff are incapable of at least organising the defenders we do have into a working unit. Most weeks you would think the back four had never met before never mind played together. Something needs to happen and happen soon. Losing becomes a bad habit to break and while we all like to think we're too good to go down it is not beyond the realms of possibility, just ask Wolves fans.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Nov 2014 23:36

I'm still supportive of Adkins, but losing all three would probably be enough to change my mind. If (and it's a big if) Samrit's comments are more than just a madman's ramblings, then we can't spend any serious money until January, and i suspect that sacking the Big Orange would cost a pretty penny, so we'd have to wait a bit.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Nov 2014 00:06

Sacking McDermott was a mistake
I don't think we should make it a hat-trick

'Greed, let's not make the mistake of giving Adkins more time to ruin our club

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Nov 2014 00:18

Ian Royal

If we lose all three? Not particularly.

Just like you couldn't really have any complaints when McDermott was sacked.

I think we'll probably do a little better than that though. And having no complaints if it happens doesn't make it the right decision, or in fact mean it'll happen.

You're really pushing your luck there Ian...
Anyone else would interpret "poor results against Bolton and Birmingham" to include draws as well as losses.

Let's say we lose to Norwich and then pick up a combined 2 points vs 21st and 19th in the league. You'd have complaints about the manager being sacked after that?

That would be a new low, even for you...

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular

by Handsome Man » 27 Nov 2014 06:47

If we sack Adkins and get a hoofball merchant in the last eighteen months will have been for nothing. He is probably just one player away from having the perfect team. I would rather Adkins stayed until the transfer window is over and we are safe from a Burnsload of shit signings.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Nov 2014 08:56

Handsome Man He is probably just one player away from having the perfect team.

:lol: :shock:

Can I have some of what you have been drinking?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Nov 2014 09:13

If that were true then why is he doing such a shoddy job of managing this near perfect team?

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 27 Nov 2014 10:05

It's never that cut and dried though is it?

I think looking at other clubs in the Championship helps with this fuzzy debate on managers. You could take Bournemouth and Blackpool as extremes. For instance, how much of the momentum at their respective clubs amplifies how competent/incompetent a manager is?

Bournemouth's upward momentum as a club is surely helping Howe look much, much better than he actually is- likewise with Blackpool, whoever was in charge there they'd be hard pushed to do much.

Bolton and Birmingham are more interesting in terms of our position because they've both recently changed managers with a view to the situation they're in. Rowett seems to have improved results as has Lennon, the football won't be pretty but I'm guessing they're just cage fighting every team they play. If Adkins goes then that's what'll happen here - then what?

Might be a brief improvement in results and then back to being shit anyway - might be a huge improvement and we discover Adkins wasn't right for the job after all and the club's apparent downward momentum wasn't such a factor.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Nov 2014 10:16

Silver Fox If that were true then why is he doing such a shoddy job of managing this near perfect team?

Presumably that player is Messi.

Warfield North Stand

by Warfield North Stand » 27 Nov 2014 10:46

When Rogers was sacked we had just drew 1 all with Scunthorpe or someone equally shit. We had 20 odd shots on target and played some great stuff. Gylfie missed a sitter from 6 yards etc etc. I believe to this day that he was turning the corner and it was the wrong time for him to go. I remeber being abused on the Bus back to Brackers for saying this.
At the moment, this team is not producing performances that give me the impression there is light at the end of the tunnel. I sincerley hope this changes at Norwich as I like Adkins and want him to do well. But, if the scenario above happens, yes, he has to go.

116 posts