Championship is horrible football

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Championship is horrible football

by andrew1957 » 18 Feb 2015 12:31

Having sat through the last two Tuesday evenings and watched two absolutely horrible games I am really wondering if there is much point attending Championship games any more.

Like most have done on hobnob I could castigate our players and say they should all be got rid of because they are not good enough BUT in truth I saw lots of effort and huffing and puffing from our players in both games. It seems to me that it is more about the style of play in this division and that it is increasingly just too horrible to watch.

The tactic is largely for the poorer teams to go away from home and place 11 men behind the ball and just look for an occasional break away goal. If they score it is pretty much game over as they can simply sit behind the ball and not have to create anything at all. Once a team is a goal up it is all but impossible to break them down unless you have some multi million pound super skilful players - of which there are very few in this division. This has cost us the two defeats against Leeds and Wigan - as the first goal settled both games and then RFC never looked like having a hope. And so these games are just agony to watch for the supporters.

I actually don't think our players are that bad. It is perhaps no coincidence that we do better against the better sides because they at least try to create something and this means there is more space for our players to express themselves.

I know this type of football has always been an issue in the Championship with some games but the number seem to be increasing every season and frankly I think players, managers and owners seem to have forgotten that we are in an entertainment industry and the 10,000 empty seats last night show that the punters are fed up. Not just with losing but about being served up truly horrible football match after match. I am sure we would all rather watch an end to end match where we lose 3-2 than the two horrible games served up in the last week. I remember really enjoying Reading 3 Wolves 3 but few other league games will live long in the memory this season.

The FA Cup was like a breath of fresh air that judging by the highlights all the games - not just ours - were exciting because it seems that teams all went for a win - as they did not want the extra stress of replays. If only the same attitude permeated every league game then football would be such a pleasure to watch.

Thank God I don't have a season ticket because I just don't think I can bear any more of it this season and so that will be another couple of empty seats from now on.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Championship is horrible football

by floyd__streete » 18 Feb 2015 13:08

I think the major problem really is the fact that Reading are utter gash. Didn't see many complaining about the Championship in 2005/06.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 18 Feb 2015 13:10

Its Reading, not the Championship. You wouldn't be saying this if you were a Watford or a Bournemouth supporter, say.

ReadingPlastics

by ReadingPlastics » 18 Feb 2015 13:35

andrew1957 Having sat through the last two Tuesday evenings and watched two absolutely horrible games I am really wondering if there is much point attending Championship games any more.

Like most have done on hobnob I could castigate our players and say they should all be got rid of because they are not good enough BUT in truth I saw lots of effort and huffing and puffing from our players in both games. It seems to me that it is more about the style of play in this division and that it is increasingly just too horrible to watch.

The tactic is largely for the poorer teams to go away from home and place 11 men behind the ball and just look for an occasional break away goal. If they score it is pretty much game over as they can simply sit behind the ball and not have to create anything at all. Once a team is a goal up it is all but impossible to break them down unless you have some multi million pound super skilful players - of which there are very few in this division. This has cost us the two defeats against Leeds and Wigan - as the first goal settled both games and then RFC never looked like having a hope. And so these games are just agony to watch for the supporters.

I actually don't think our players are that bad. It is perhaps no coincidence that we do better against the better sides because they at least try to create something and this means there is more space for our players to express themselves.

I know this type of football has always been an issue in the Championship with some games but the number seem to be increasing every season and frankly I think players, managers and owners seem to have forgotten that we are in an entertainment industry and the 10,000 empty seats last night show that the punters are fed up. Not just with losing but about being served up truly horrible football match after match. I am sure we would all rather watch an end to end match where we lose 3-2 than the two horrible games served up in the last week. I remember really enjoying Reading 3 Wolves 3 but few other league games will live long in the memory this season.

The FA Cup was like a breath of fresh air that judging by the highlights all the games - not just ours - were exciting because it seems that teams all went for a win - as they did not want the extra stress of replays. If only the same attitude permeated every league game then football would be such a pleasure to watch.

Thank God I don't have a season ticket because I just don't think I can bear any more of it this season and so that will be another couple of empty seats from now on.

Plastic blub

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 18 Feb 2015 13:36

I am a huge fan of the Championship and very fond of a stat I read quite recently that it is the fourth best league in the world or something: Championship live games are certainly better viewing than lots of the padding you get on BT Sport or Sky Sports 5. At the top, the teams are exciting and the players can be fast and skilful, and many of the middling teams have that robustness that makes you feel Messi wouldn't fancy playing against them on a cold Tuesday night. The refereeing is occasionally incompetent, but doesn't have that biased feeling you get in the Premiership where the celebrities get special treatment. I love it.

But, Reading are shit at the moment and were for lots of last year as well.

ReadingPlastics

by ReadingPlastics » 18 Feb 2015 13:38

Handsome Man I am a huge fan of the Championship and very fond of a stat I read quite recently that it is the fourth best league in the world or something: Championship live games are certainly better viewing than lots of the padding you get on BT Sport or Sky Sports 5. At the top, the teams are exciting and the players can be fast and skilful, and many of the middling teams have that robustness that makes you feel Messi wouldn't fancy playing against them on a cold Tuesday night. The refereeing is occasionally incompetent, but doesn't have that biased feeling you get in the Premiership where the celebrities get special treatment. I love it.

But, Reading are shit at the moment and were for lots of last year as well.

I'm sick of our fans, not saying you, who turned up for the Prem ride and have melted away.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Feb 2015 14:25

Name and shame then ReadingPlastics, lets call some out.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 18 Feb 2015 15:12

No it's great . We are just getting a poor return at the moment . To think back to 3-3 with Wolves and what was served up last night.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 18 Feb 2015 15:20

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Its Reading, not the Championship. You wouldn't be saying this if you were a Watford or a Bournemouth supporter, say.

Bournemouth play some very attractive stuff. They remind me a bit of our 2005/06 team (although I think we were better)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Feb 2015 15:32

Green Name and shame then ReadingPlastics, lets call some out.

there's you for a start

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Feb 2015 15:44

It's probably more accurate to say that we play championship football horribly.

ReadingPlastics

by ReadingPlastics » 18 Feb 2015 16:40

leon

there's you for a start

King Lollo

siforest65

by siforest65 » 18 Feb 2015 17:47

To me the Premier League is like a 5 star long haul holiday to an exotic destination. The journey there is fantastic and exciting yet when the holiday gets underway you come down with a stomach upset and end up just wanting to get home.

The championship is like a holiday in an English resort with the lads. It's all familiar and you have a blast getting pissed and eating a comfy diet of fish, chips and kebabs. Of course all the time talking about the 5 star holiday that you crave...............

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Feb 2015 17:55

siforest65 To me the Premier League is like a 5 star long haul holiday to an exotic destination. The journey there is fantastic and exciting yet when the holiday gets underway you come down with a stomach upset and end up just wanting to get home.

Bad experience siforest? Did you go all inclusive?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Feb 2015 17:56

ReadingPlastics
leon

there's you for a start

King Lollo

misteROFL benn

siforest65

by siforest65 » 18 Feb 2015 17:59

Green
siforest65 To me the Premier League is like a 5 star long haul holiday to an exotic destination. The journey there is fantastic and exciting yet when the holiday gets underway you come down with a stomach upset and end up just wanting to get home.

Several bad experiences tbh with one of the holiday party going missing for a few months on one of them. Not had a trip for a while though.

Saying that Derby's trip a few years ago was a real holiday from hell :mrgreen:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 18 Feb 2015 18:09

Blackpool 4-4 Forest
Bolton 3-4 Watford
Both good games last Sat, Rotherham 3-3 Derby last night.

Doesn't sound like negative tactics were the winner in those games. Plus the whole league is at least competitive with reasonably even squads. It's a 46 game slog so some of it is bound to be a bit crap.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 18 Feb 2015 18:33

siforest65
Green

Several bad experiences tbh with one of the holiday party going missing for a few months on one of them. Not had a trip for a while though.

Saying that Derby's trip a few years ago was a real holiday from hell :mrgreen:

Have to say that is EXACTLY the sort of story that needs to be fleshed out in Anything Else. As a Nottinghamshire lass, wot ended up somehow mildly obsessed with football, and RFC in particular, I feel we could bond in that safe warm and protective environment.

Obviously the last person I suggested join us over there, Anfield Kopite, is no longer with us....but we Midlanders are made of sterner stuff.

Out of interest, what do you call your remote?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Feb 2015 18:36

All part of the idiot Premiership, money, money, money and ridiculousness of parachute payments.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 18 Feb 2015 21:10

Sutekh All part of the idiot Premiership, money, money, money and ridiculousness of parachute payments.

Agreed. Screw the Prem and their tainted Sky dosh. The Championship is an excellent division. Any team can beat any other team. I remember a few years back Palace being bottom in January, came to the Mad Stad, won, went on a run, sneaked in the play-offs & went up.
At the start of every season you know the Prem will be between the same few teams and you would have a fair bet of predicting who will be relegated and where most teams will eventually finish. Occasionally one you expect to do well has an off year and one you expect to do badly does better, but it's all very predictable.
Who expected Wigan, Brighton & Fulham to be down near the bottom this year? Bournemouth to be top isn't a complete surprise given how they've played recently years but what odds were they at the start of the season. And Brentford are in with a good shout of a play-off place. The joy of the Championship is it's unpredictability. Blackpool were the only team whose finish position was clear before a ball was kicked, due to the utter shambles behind the scenes.