Championship is horrible football

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Championship is horrible football

by Mr Angry » 19 Feb 2015 04:08

During our last visit to the Premier League, I actually looked forward to returning to the Championship as I believe it to be more competitive and less of a corporate experience.

Sadly, the experience has been a bad one because both on and off the pitch, Reading FC have been a shambles and I decided that bluntly, I had had enough of it so decided not to renew my STH this season (having not gone very much last season).

Not been to a home game all season and guess what? I genuinely haven't missed it.

I went to Scunny in the Cap One Cup, and will try to get up to Rotherham but right now I don't miss the chore (as it had become) of going to games week in, week out, and having to arrange my life around a fixture list, and certainly not when, as someone mentioned earlier, neither the club nor the players seem to give a toss anymore....

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Feb 2015 08:02

It is like we are in a state of limbo. The owners are nowhere to be seen, we are sliding backwards. With not much to look ahead to.
This will all change when we get to Wembley and the development plans finally get announced.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2015 19:34

Thinking back to 1987 when a Steve Richardson equaliser earnt us the point that gave Reading its best ever league finish, 13th in the second tier, (ironically it was at Ipswich), are we deserving of this current self hate?

Up to 13th today, mid-table, and just where a lot of us would've been delighted to be (considering the clusterfuck of circumstances pre and early season), just got hang on in there, then despite it all, it wouldn't have been that bad a season (and we even have the FA Cup interest as a bonus). NTYI

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 21 Feb 2015 20:44

AthleticoSpizz Thinking back to 1987 when a Steve Richardson equaliser earnt us the point that gave Reading its best ever league finish, 13th in the second tier, (ironically it was at Ipswich), are we deserving of this current self hate?

Up to 13th today, mid-table, and just where a lot of us would've been delighted to be (considering the clusterfuck of circumstances pre and early season), just got hang on in there, then despite it all, it wouldn't have been that bad a season (and we even have the FA Cup interest as a bonus). NTYI

Agreed. It's a rebuilding season even if we didn't want it to be. Safe mid table in 'division two' and a cup run (daren't even mention the possibility of Reading in the FA cup semi final - not seen since I last played Subuteo in the mid seventies.) it's an okay season ready to go again next year when we finish with 107 points.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2015 11:25

Two crap teams means crap football shocker.

The Championship is great. We're just not quite good enough this year. There's plenty of positive shoots for next season, though i think it may be upper midtable frustration before we can really challenge at the top again the one after.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Feb 2015 11:48

The Championship is a fantastically competitive league with a good mix of clubs but as long as we are still combatting the fallout of TSI, we will continue to struggle. Often your opinion of a league is coloured by your own club's progress.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, in 16 months we will have rid ourselves of the last of their financial millstones. This summer will be a big watershed moment though as we will move on many of the high earners and, although i believe that next season will still be one of consolidation and rebuilding, we will begin to see the team take some big steps forward

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Feb 2015 11:50

We're only moaning because we're shite. :lol:

If we were playing like Barca & winning most games we wouldn't care if everyone else was shite. We'd be reveling in it.

BUT I will say this...personally for me I cannot think of a season where the standard of football & the general quality has been as poor in the top 2 tiers as it has this season. None of the top stars stay here any more - they all go to La Liga despite the Prem supposedly being the crowning glory of domestic football in terms of audiences & £££.

If Reading had been anything close to the pre-Adkins teams since we got relegated from the Prem 1st time around in 2008 we'd have p*ssed the league this year.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 22 Feb 2015 11:52

Ian Royal Two crap teams means crap football shocker.

The Championship is great. We're just not quite good enough this year. There's plenty of positive shoots for next season, though i think it may be upper midtable frustration before we can really challenge at the top again the one after.

It took Coppell a couple of seasons to get the best out of us (finishing 9th & 7th). We tend to forget the days of Owusu, Brooker & Morgan, with Sir Les & Keown Snr on loan when the heady days of 2005-6-7 followed.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2015 19:51

MmmMonsterMunch BUT I will say this...personally for me I cannot think of a season where the standard of football & the general quality has been as poor in the top 2 tiers as it has this season.

You say that every year... and I say this every year...

For me, this has been one of the best seasons in the PL era. Chelsea are incredible, the Manchester clubs are full of talent, as are Arsenal, then Spurs and Southampton and West Ham have all done some good stuff... On the other hand, several teams are lacking goalscorers and the defending is generally shite.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 22 Feb 2015 20:01

Going into every game with it being winnable > Trying not to lose every week

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 23 Feb 2015 13:52

As others have said, it depends on how good your team is/how well they're doing.

The championship is good in the sense that's very close/unpredicatable and highly competitive, but I don't think the standard is particularly great (and it hasnt been for a while).

For example, last season we were quite often poor and out of form but still somehow stayed in the play off places for most of the season (but obviously ended up missing out in 7th.) Had the league been better quality like it had been in the past we would have been lucky to come midtable.

Even when we won it in 2011/12, it didnt say much about the quality of the league. We were well below par until the New Year where we went on a run and ended up winning it with, quite honestly, an average side playing average football.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Feb 2015 16:25

siforest65
Green
siforest65 To me the Premier League is like a 5 star long haul holiday to an exotic destination. The journey there is fantastic and exciting yet when the holiday gets underway you come down with a stomach upset and end up just wanting to get home.

Bad experience siforest? Did you go all inclusive?

Several bad experiences tbh with one of the holiday party going missing for a few months on one of them. Not had a trip for a while though.

Yeh sorry to pry but can you flesh this one out for us, si?

seanboyd_2

by seanboyd_2 » 23 Feb 2015 16:51

I don't have a problem with The Championship or that Reading are in the Championship, we not be playing fantastic football but it will come, never stop backing the team by what league they are in.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Feb 2015 17:14

seanboyd_2 I don't have a problem with The Championship or that Reading are in the Championship, we not be playing fantastic football but it will come, never stop backing the team by what league they are in.

Under what circumstances would it be acceptable to stop backing the team, sean?

Maybe if a player was committed of a sexual assault? Or there were serious problems with violence or racism in the crowd? Or if ticket prices were relentlessly hiked up season on season?

And how's that python bot coming on, btw?

seanboyd_2

by seanboyd_2 » 23 Feb 2015 22:13

Green
seanboyd_2 I don't have a problem with The Championship or that Reading are in the Championship, we not be playing fantastic football but it will come, never stop backing the team by what league they are in.

Under what circumstances would it be acceptable to stop backing the team, sean?

Maybe if a player was committed of a sexual assault? Or there were serious problems with violence or racism in the crowd? Or if ticket prices were relentlessly hiked up season on season?

And how's that python bot coming on, btw?

I wouldn't stop supporting them, if ticket prices are way too high then don't go to the games, you can still support them, who cares if a player has committed a sexual assault, unless he done it on the football pitch. Racism at the crowds? don't go then, again you can still support the team.

I have alot of Python bots which one are referring too lol?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Feb 2015 22:55

Sounds terrifying.

seanboyd_2

by seanboyd_2 » 24 Feb 2015 02:08

SCIAG Sounds terrifying.

Ha, I wish they looked like this, actually I might steal this and add a GUI with that pic to one haha.

siforest65

by siforest65 » 24 Feb 2015 18:07

Green Yeh sorry to pry but can you flesh this one out for us, si?

Pierre Van Hooijdonk going on strike for half the season when Forest last graced the top flight.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Feb 2015 18:42

Nowt wrong with the championship. The premier league is great to be in but people get greedy and fans change. Its nice now and again to play in it but nothing gives me a bigger buzz and bag of nerves than a damn good playoff semi and a final cos let's face it, its better than a day out at the emirates or ot where you know a draw is like a trophy. I like the fact we can go into any game and get a result.

The Brain

by The Brain » 24 Feb 2015 22:17

"Thank God I don't have a season ticket"

Andrew you are right. I laugh at the wibble spammers who post their silly little replies on this forum are and have to justify their ST expenditure by trying to belittle what others who disagree with them say. I think your point is quite valid, not all of it but there is some justification in what you say.

The problem is that everyone is waiting to get this league season over and with fingers crossed we will get to lose 4-0 at the end of April to Arsenal at Wembley in the SF.....but and please note.....

>>>>>>> Wibblers --- it won't be an better next season! <<<<<<

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wibble