No
16%

Total votes: 90
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Steve Clake - New Poll

by paultheroyal » 23 Apr 2015 21:34

Tony Le Mesmer 3 of our most successful managers all saw results get worse before they got better.

McGhee took 2 years to turn things around

Pardew - 5 months into his reign we looked to be heading for Div 4. Calls for his head after loosing at home to Swindon the year we went up. Pants day, etc.

Coppell did nothing for 2 years with a decent budget. Fans calling for him to be sacked boxing day 2004.

Clarke has inherited a team ruined by dreadful management both on and off the pitch. A decent manager who clearly knows what he is doing. I couldn't imagine Adkins digging out a draw at Bradford or taking an in form Arsenal to ET. Our league form has been dreadful, but at least he now knows this current lot cant cut it. Better to find that out now rather than do half decent and carry over the problems til next season.

Judge him from the 1st game of next season. But don't compare him to what the club achieved when we had money. Those days are well and truly gone. Top half will prob constitute a success given what the club has been through.

At last. Sense and realism. Great post.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Apr 2015 21:57

Tony Le Mesmer Pardew - 5 months into his reign we looked to be heading for Div 4. Calls for his head after loosing at home to Swindon the year we went up. Pants day, etc.

Nor we could we score goals either. Then came Martin Butler ( and late Cureton).

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Apr 2015 03:27

Boxing day 2004 we beat Watford 3-0 hardly think fans were calling for Coppell head that day

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Apr 2015 14:57

Harpers So Solid Crew Boxing day 2004 we beat Watford 3-0 hardly think fans were calling for Coppell head that day

It was after the back to back 0-3's at home. Must have been 2003 then.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 24 Apr 2015 15:04

Lower West
Tony Le Mesmer Pardew - 5 months into his reign we looked to be heading for Div 4. Calls for his head after loosing at home to Swindon the year we went up. Pants day, etc.

Nor we could we score goals either. Then came Martin Butler ( and late Cureton).

Jamie's dead?! :(

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2015 17:42

He is really speaking a lot of sense here. The point about the club getting into a culture of disappointment & how the players are now used to losing is bang on.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 Apr 2015 18:07

Yeah ... but ... but ... it's the manager's job to turn that around. Look at B'ham ... when Rowett (name?) joined them hadn't they just been stuffed 8:0 by Bournemouth? I seriously think SC isn't up to it - and really worry about next season. Saying that the team is not good enough is just making excuses - I think the team is good enough, it's just how we're playing is clearly not good enough.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 25 Apr 2015 18:07

The players are used to losing. He is the manager. That's the sort of thing I'd expect him to address, not moan about on the radio.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2015 18:08

Armadillo Roadkill The players are used to losing. He is the manager. That's the sort of thing I'd expect him to address, not moan about on the radio.

He will address it by getting rid of most of them. Good. Quite telling that he stayed in the tunnel away from the players doing their lap of appreciation.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 25 Apr 2015 18:10

He probably stayed in the tunnel because it would have looked sarcastic to parade around given the past 12 league games.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 25 Apr 2015 18:11

MmmMonsterMunch
Armadillo Roadkill The players are used to losing. He is the manager. That's the sort of thing I'd expect him to address, not moan about on the radio.

He will address it by getting rid of most of them. Good. Quite telling that he stayed in the tunnel away from the players doing their lap of appreciation.

Sherwood could have same the same at Villa. But he didn't wait to change who was playing for him, he changed the way the players he had played. Clarke obviously isn't up to doing that.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2015 18:13

Armadillo Roadkill He probably stayed in the tunnel because it would have looked sarcastic to parade around given the past 12 league games.

I'm sure he is well aware of the team's failings in the league this season & finds the whole thing a charade TBH.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2015 18:14

Armadillo Roadkill
MmmMonsterMunch

Sherwood could have same the same at Villa. But he didn't wait to change who was playing for him, he changed the way the players he had played. Clarke obviously isn't up to doing that.

One vital part of info missing from your post there though - Villa are playing for something. We're not.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2015 18:19

Most people can sense there is something rotten in that dressing room. Most people with a brain anyway. Let him get his players in & then judge him. Adkins was given about 20 months & did actually get a bit of money albeit not a lot. The same treatment at least should be afforded to Clarke given that he's been here 5 months and already achieved something.

Quite honestly at this moment I'm more worried Clarke will end up leaving because he isn't supported to get players in.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 25 Apr 2015 18:24

Whatever is rotten in the dressing room - and as it happens, that has been my conclusion - was rotten when Adkins was here too. Not too many people used that to defend him.

I agree though - the important thing is that the board support Clarke in a major re-structure in the summer, that we use the loan market wisely, that we support academy players into the first team.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 25 Apr 2015 19:36

Having not seen the team play much this season I cannot honestly say if we are playing better under Clark than Adkins, but one thing is for sure, results have got worse. If decent signings aren't made in the close season and we continue with these results, Clark could come under real pressure in November.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 25 Apr 2015 19:41

So when the team was doing badly under Adkins it was the managers fault and now they are doing actually worse its the players fault,

You would have thought by now that Clarke would have been able to work out that HRK is no more a centre forward up front in his own than Karacan is a goalie, just one example of why Steve Clarke will not last beyond the first 10 games if next season.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 25 Apr 2015 19:51

Dave-Royal Give steve Clarke time

So 7 points out of a possible 33 in 12 games - then putting out that dreadful formation today at home for the last home game of the season when nothing rested on it. And you say give him time?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2015 22:15

MmmMonsterMunch He is really speaking a lot of sense here. The point about the club getting into a culture of disappointment & how the players are now used to losing is bang on.

If only someone with a fresh perspective and approach had come in and had a transfer window to do something about that.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Apr 2015 00:26

sorry, he's been shit. I give him until late september.

356 posts