How long?

tilehurstender

How long?

by tilehurstender » 20 Aug 2015 10:23

Towards the end of last season there were already rumblings of discontent regarding the managers position. The cup run obviously deflected some of the flak but with that now a distant and painful memory, how long before the current dissatisfaction grows into a manic call for his head? Personally, I've not seen anything yet to fill me with confidence and the statements following the last 2 games are exactly the sort of thing that put people's backs up when spouted by the our previous gaffer.words like solid & controlling are no good if not backed up with results.

Lacoste

Re: How long?

by Lacoste » 20 Aug 2015 10:33

tilehurstender Towards the end of last season there were already rumblings of discontent regarding the managers position. The cup run obviously deflected some of the flak but with that now a distant and painful memory, how long before the current dissatisfaction grows into a manic call for his head? Personally, I've not seen anything yet to fill me with confidence and the statements following the last 2 games are exactly the sort of thing that put people's backs up when spouted by the our previous gaffer.words like solid & controlling are no good if not backed up with results.

If we get beaten by MK Dons and Brentford rumbles will get loud.

I would give him 3-4 games with a proper winger. If we're still shite, sack.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Aug 2015 10:38

Considering the amount of time given to Adkins I reckon we could be in League One and people would still be saying he hasn't had enough transfer windows

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Aug 2015 11:01

May 2016.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Aug 2015 11:06

About 7 inches

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Aug 2015 11:58

considering its basically a new back 5, a new midfield, and new attack
id be giving him 3 months before grumbling, and till the January window before actively calling for his head.

but I like almost everything he's done this summer, and think things look pretty hopeful.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 20 Aug 2015 12:47

I like Clarke, but I'm yet to see anything that suggests we've improved under him; hopefully that will change in the next 4-5 games when players return to fitness and return to full fitness. He needs this season before people throw their toys out of their prams, but I'm not convinced the Thai's will give him that if we're bottom third and mid-table this season. The mongtard fans certainly wont accept that.

Esteban

by Esteban » 20 Aug 2015 13:11

Even the fans who are unhappy with Clarke would agree that we are a lot more solid than last season, surely?

At the very minimum he needs until the end of October before he's judged. I'll keep my powder dry until the end of the season though.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Aug 2015 13:17

Esteban I'll keep my powder dry until the end of the season though.

Fine, very sensible. But what if we're struggling throughout the season?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2015 13:27

10 games before I even consider blaming him.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Aug 2015 13:31

Reading Fans are starting to sound like Leeds fans

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 20 Aug 2015 14:22

bobby1413 Reading Fans are starting to sound like Leeds fans

Must disagree with you, as Leeds fans made a sound for most of the match, admittedly in Oxf*rd silly accent, would be good if RFC got close to the Leeds fan volume.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Aug 2015 01:20

Dislike unnecessarily ambiguous thread titles, so i'm out.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Aug 2015 07:28

Coppelled_Streets I like Clarke, but I'm yet to see anything that suggests we've improved under him; hopefully that will change in the next 4-5 games when players return to fitness and return to full fitness. He needs this season before people throw their toys out of their prams, but I'm not convinced the Thai's will give him that if we're bottom third and mid-table this season. The mongtard fans certainly wont accept that.

Surely this is a joke? Yes results wise he hasn't improved on Adkins (yet) but anyone that goes to games will tell you the team and performances have drastically improved. We don't look like conceding every time we lose the ball, which is a far more infrequent occurrence than it was under Adkins - for all his "possession football". We are actually keeping the ball farely well, and seem to be attacking with some purpose, a feat far more encouraging considering our well documented limited attacking options and Clarkes assumed defensive predisposition. Under the great footballing philosopher of Nigel Adkins all out attacking intent could muster was a few passes around the back 4 before someone, usually Pearce, would panic and hoof it to the opposition (who we have already established would normally score from this position regardless of where they received the ball and how many reading players were in the way). If we did actually make it into their half or have a counter attack we would normally get to the edge of the box, turn around, and pass it back all the way to the sodding keeper.

The only place we were going under Adkins was league one. At least we look like consolidating the club, on and off the field.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 21 Aug 2015 09:26

Not long.

Because what you reap is what you sow.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Aug 2015 11:38

:D

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Aug 2015 12:07

SC still needs to prove himself as does every manager but for me the test starts this season.

Last season he inherited what was mainly BMs team with a few additions from NA and no money to spend.

For the last couple of seasons I have come away from a lot of games thinking how on earth did we win that one but now that has changed to how on earth didn't we win that one.

Hopefully, the only way is up....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Aug 2015 13:00

CountryRoyal
Coppelled_Streets I like Clarke, but I'm yet to see anything that suggests we've improved under him; hopefully that will change in the next 4-5 games when players return to fitness and return to full fitness. He needs this season before people throw their toys out of their prams, but I'm not convinced the Thai's will give him that if we're bottom third and mid-table this season. The mongtard fans certainly wont accept that.

Surely this is a joke? Yes results wise he hasn't improved on Adkins (yet) but anyone that goes to games will tell you the team and performances have drastically improved. We don't look like conceding every time we lose the ball, which is a far more infrequent occurrence than it was under Adkins - for all his "possession football". We are actually keeping the ball farely well, and seem to be attacking with some purpose, a feat far more encouraging considering our well documented limited attacking options and Clarkes assumed defensive predisposition. Under the great footballing philosopher of Nigel Adkins all out attacking intent could muster was a few passes around the back 4 before someone, usually Pearce, would panic and hoof it to the opposition (who we have already established would normally score from this position regardless of where they received the ball and how many reading players were in the way). If we did actually make it into their half or have a counter attack we would normally get to the edge of the box, turn around, and pass it back all the way to the sodding keeper.

The only place we were going under Adkins was league one. At least we look like consolidating the club, on and off the field.

Given Adkins got much better results than Clarke and we didn't get relegated with Clarke, it seems very unlikely we'd have got relegated with Adkins in charge.

We're certainly better defensively under Clarke, but we're not nearly as good going forward and I don't think performances have improved at all. Adkins got us to sixth place early last season, we had several thrilling performances (3-0 against Fulham, Blackpool and Rotherham, 3-2 against Millwall, 3-3 Wolves, 1-0 against Ipswich) balanced against getting turned over three times. I enjoyed two 3-0 wins under Clarke, admittedly one against Bradford, and a few other games like Sheffield Wednesday, but that's balanced against utterly dreadful performances against Leeds, Birmingham, Wigan, Bournemouth, and Forest, and then again against Leeds on Sunday.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2015 13:05

I reckon post game 15 is the earliest he could grt the boot. 10 to see how he's doing and if it's not good enough 5 to show some improvement.

Realistically if he gets sacked before 20 games he may as well have been actively trying to take us down his performance would be that bad.

As for calling for his head, somewhere between 10 and 15 games in without a significant improvement in results.

The unlucky, should have done better but for individual mistakes doesn't wash for very long before it becomes apparent it's part of the manager's problem.

In the same way Adkins got blamed for not doing enough about lots of defensive errors, Clarke should get the blame for lots of keeping errors and an inability to score.

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Aug 2015 13:21

floyd__streete
Esteban I'll keep my powder dry until the end of the season though.

Fine, very sensible. But what if we're struggling throughout the season?

I should have perhaps said, 'Keep my powder dry until the end of the season, or he loses his job. Whichever comes first.'

That's not to say my opinion of him may not change in the meantime. But I won't judge his time in charge until the end of the season/he goes. When Adkins went, I felt he had to go. But overall, he did OK in the circumstances, without ever hitting the targets set.