Rumour-Potless

Drew_3

Rumour-Potless

by Drew_3 » 22 Aug 2015 17:17

My father audibly asked Mr Clarke when we would be signing a striker at today's game. To which Clarke was kind enough to pull his pocket inside out in an effort to show we neither have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of.

So no new signings any time soon it would seem.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour-Potless

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2015 17:44

Perhaps signing two midfielders, freezing one out and spending £1m on Sa wasn't the most productive use of the money he was given then.

JIM

by JIM » 22 Aug 2015 17:50

Dear SC. Can you tell us what is plan B, obviously plan A does not seem to be working. :(

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 22 Aug 2015 18:01

Only 6-8 weeks for Dominic Samuel to return. He's at least a natural goal scorer.
Can we play Liburd against Pompey at some point. He seems to be finding the net quite regularly and has some pace. Maybe some youthful arrogance wouldn't go amiss to our attack taking some risks.

Esteban

by Esteban » 22 Aug 2015 18:06

Ian Royal Perhaps signing two midfielders, freezing one out and spending £1m on Sa wasn't the most productive use of the money he was given then.

Froze who out? Akpan?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Aug 2015 18:38

Drew_3 My father audibly asked Mr Clarke when we would be signing a striker at today's game. To which Clarke was kind enough to pull his pocket inside out in an effort to show we neither have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of.

So no new signings any time soon it would seem.

Ermm, well in that case him going on BBCRB and saying he expected to bring in 'at least 1, if not 2' more signings was a foolish move.

Perhaps your dad just had his pockets hanging out.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2015 19:10

Perhaps the gesture was more to indicate that currently strikers, not even particularly good strikers, are costing a stupid amount of money, rather than that we have no money.

Which midfielder has been frozen out ?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Aug 2015 23:58

Maybe u shouldn't over analyse a man pulling his pocket out

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 23 Aug 2015 01:40

Potless? Just picked up a bag 'o weed so no worries... *_*

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 23 Aug 2015 13:03

“But you could say that about every striker. They are all going to be difficult for us to get because every other club has more money than us.”

“Eight players I’ve brought in with a net spend of under £2 million. This is the reality. We have to find something, almost from nothing."

These latest quotes from Stevie C. would seem to substantiate the current theory being bandied about. And just when we thought Roy of the Rovers was about to arrive as the missing piece of the jigsaw :lol:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Aug 2015 13:36

To be honest if SC had £2m - £3m to spend I couldn't see him saying so to the media. So we don't really know what sort of budget the club has.

This window has already exceeded my expectations, so any further signings would be a real bonus.

Interesting the People are saying today that a deal for Beric is imminent.

Anyone know how much cash the naming rights might drum up?

Esteban

by Esteban » 23 Aug 2015 15:05

I still think the Beric deal could happen if Rapid don't make the CL group stages. And I reckon there are other targets if we don't get him.

Big few days coming up.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2015 15:53

The Cap “But you could say that about every striker. They are all going to be difficult for us to get because every other club has more money than us.”

“Eight players I’ve brought in with a net spend of under £2 million. This is the reality. We have to find something, almost from nothing."

These latest quotes from Stevie C. would seem to substantiate the current theory being bandied about. And just when we thought Roy of the Rovers was about to arrive as the missing piece of the jigsaw :lol:

£2m is not "almost nothing", it's one of our highest net spends ever - is it our highest in the Football League? It's also pretty typical for the Championship, many clubs have less to spend than us and negative net spends. Sounds like he's getting his excuses in early.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Aug 2015 15:53

I've not heard of Potless, who does he play for?

Johann

by Johann » 23 Aug 2015 16:20

I am sure Clarke was just doing the one eared elephant joke .

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Aug 2015 17:04

The Cap “But you could say that about every striker. They are all going to be difficult for us to get because every other club has more money than us.”

If he's genuinely said that he can oxf*rd right off.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Aug 2015 17:05

:|

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Aug 2015 17:15

I think it will be 1 striker, we have been able to improve other areas due to wages being removed due to players leaving. If HRK leaves he will have to be replaced with a winger which tbh is where his wages are going. The reality is we are paying reasonable wages for 3 strikers already ( pog, cox and Sa) and a small wage to Samuel in that position. The average championship squad would usually only have 4 striking options to sustain themselves with wages. There may well be a small budget for a striker but without freeing up wages we can't sustain another big signing on big wages. So unless cox or pog leaves we will probably get a striker on loan. An unknown foreign player that we can pay a low wage until he has proven himself and pog leaves. Or a up and coming league 1 player like Bradshaw who will command a mid level wage and a fee within our levels. It's just simple math. So unless pog or cox leave for a fee don't expect anyone to special in.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2015 18:53

Ian Royal

Ian, you're embarrassing yourself.

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 23 Aug 2015 18:56

Ian Royal

Not sure where The Capster got the quotes from but the Get Reading link is preceded by a reference to the £9 million spent on Andre Grey and how that's not in our league.

“It’s a priority position for us to try and get. But it’s almost as if people think we go game to game and just sit there and don’t work.

“We’re trying so hard to bring the right people in to help this club move forward. But it’s not easy, especially when you don’t have millions and millions.

“Andre Gray has gone for £9 million. That’s just not in our league. These are changed days here, we’re not going to go out and spend millions.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ld-9911386