RUMOUR - Robert Beric

674 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Robert Beric

by sandman » 28 Aug 2015 20:04

TBM
Esteban
savage 4 england He could see from recent times our most successful striker (ALF) scored goals in the Championship and Premier League and could only earn a move sideways.

True. He might also see a number of other players who have moved from us to PL sides over the past 8 years or so.

Do we really want to be his stepping stone though?

Unless a player plays for Real Madrid or Barcelona every club is a stepping stone.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2015 21:29

If St Etienne haven't had a bid accepted then they aren't likely to have had 3 days of discussions with him....

Their coach is clearly playing games claiming Beric wants to join them. If he did then the deal would be done by now.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Aug 2015 21:58

sounds like he doesn't want to come here, in that case best not to sign him

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Aug 2015 22:39

PremAddict He won't come here. Time to focus on other potential signings.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2015 23:46

Nameless If St Etienne haven't had a bid accepted then they aren't likely to have had 3 days of discussions with him....

Their coach is clearly playing games claiming Beric wants to join them. If he did then the deal would be done by now.

Yeah, clubs respect permission to talk to players without fault.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2015 00:35

Obviously clubs do all sorts, but you would think they would be a little more discrete about it if they don't follow the rules.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 29 Aug 2015 09:13

People banging on about St Etienne being a bigger club, but their average attendance is 30k, (not 40k as someone put above) and the French Ligue 1 is not that strong.

PSG have pretty much won the league already (PSG = Celtic), and there are only realistically 3-4 clubs who can compete for the top placings. Peel away Monaco, Lyon, Marseille (dreadful this season) & St Etienne and you are into some teams who would struggle in our League 1....Troyes, Angers, Caen, GFC Ajaccio etc.

St Etienne are already 110/1 to win the title in their league this season. Sure, you get a go in the Europa League, but that isn't a competition that seems to capture anyone's imagination. Such a hard competition to win that it seems many teams don't try to.

Don't underestimate the pull of the Championship. Average attendances are 17k in our league and 23k in ligue 1, but that is distorted by the likes of PSG (it drops below 20k on weeks they aren't at home). Playing the likes of Middlesborough, Leeds, Ipswich, etc every week in a competitive league > a glory trip to get thumped @ PSG followed by playing Guingamp, Reims, Rennes & Toulouse.

And let's not forget St Etienne as yet haven't upped their bid to match ours and are trying to wind Rapid up by openly banging on about how much their player wants to move to them.

Not saying he won't chose St Etienne over us, but it seems we are able to offer the better financial package (ta Pog) and I don't think the "footballing reasons" are as cut and dried as people think.

And if he does go to St Etienne I am never buying their records again.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2015 09:16

If a player really wants to join you , you don't need to go banging on about it in the press. You just sit round the table, do the deal and then make the announcement. He may opt for St Etienne, but the sound rather desperate at the moment.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 29 Aug 2015 09:40

Reports this morning suggesting ASSE have upped their bid.
If we really are in for him then this could be quite a test for our new owners and their transfer policy. i would like to see them at least try and negotiate a deal but time is short.

If we are not in for him or he is stalling for stupid money then forget and go elsewhere. Please let's not have another Tommy Smith situation.

Esteban

by Esteban » 29 Aug 2015 10:17

loyalroyaldaz Reports this morning suggesting ASSE have upped their bid.
If we really are in for him then this could be quite a test for our new owners and their transfer policy. i would like to see them at least try and negotiate a deal but time is short.

If we are not in for him or he is stalling for stupid money then forget and go elsewhere. Please let's not have another Tommy Smith situation.

I think Rapid are hoping for a bidding war, but we'd do well to stay out of that. St. Etienne sound desperate, meanwhile, Reading haven't uttered a word about Beric publically. I don't think we can compare this to the Tommy Smith situation yet.

If Beric wants European football, we're out of it. If that doesn't necessarily float his boat, then we have a chance. He could be a superstar in the Championship, but there are already some big names in Ligue 1.

My point is, for different reasons, we can be just as attractive a proposition as St. Etienne. I still think he might choose us, if the pull of the Premier League is what motivates him.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Aug 2015 10:25

Personally I doubt he gives a monkeys about playing in the Europa league.

What I imagine he's more interested in doing is playing PL football, and which will give him a better chance of doing that? Is he more likely to attract admirers playing in Ligue 1 or the Championship? Is he likely to get promoted with this Reading team in the next couple of years?

Those are more likely to be the questions running through his head.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2015 10:26

Nameless Obviously clubs do all sorts, but you would think they would be a little more discrete about it if they don't follow the rules.

Trevor Brooking announced on live TV he was ignoring them, so it's been done before.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Aug 2015 10:29

I can't see Beric wanting to come here. I really hope we have a plan B, C and D.

I haven't seen enough of Sa to comment yet but the rest of the strikers are league 1 or 2 standard at best.

Although saying that I would love Blackman to prove me wrong, as I still think he has the talent.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Aug 2015 10:51

Esteban
loyalroyaldaz Reports this morning suggesting ASSE have upped their bid.

I think Rapid are hoping for a bidding war, but we'd do well to stay out of that. St. Etienne sound desperate, meanwhile, Reading haven't uttered a word about Beric publically. I don't think we can compare this to the Tommy Smith situation yet.

If Beric wants European football, we're out of it. If that doesn't necessarily float his boat, then we have a chance. He could be a superstar in the Championship, but there are already some big names in Ligue 1.

My point is, for different reasons, we can be just as attractive a proposition as St. Etienne. I still think he might choose us, if the pull of the Premier League is what motivates him.

This is going to go to best and finals :mrgreen:

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 29 Aug 2015 11:06

Ian Royal
Nameless Obviously clubs do all sorts, but you would think they would be a little more discrete about it if they don't follow the rules.

Trevor Brooking announced on live TV he was ignoring them, so it's been done before.

Where's your daddy?

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 29 Aug 2015 11:07

He is not coming

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Aug 2015 11:11

blythspartan I can't see Beric wanting to come here. I really hope we have a plan B, C and D.

I haven't seen enough of Sa to comment yet but the rest of the strikers are league 1 or 2 standard at best.

Although saying that I would love Blackman to prove me wrong, as I still think he has the talent.

B) anchibe
C) Wells
D) go with what we got

Froomes

by Froomes » 29 Aug 2015 11:16

We're not going to sign Beric, Hammond is incapable of getting 'big time' deals done, especially when other clubs are interested in the player. His niche is selling players for profit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2015 12:14

Lacoste
Ian Royal

Where's your daddy?

In a home, Mr Obssessed.

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 29 Aug 2015 12:31

Charles Watts retweeted
Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner 21m21 minutes ago
Saint-Etienne have agreed terms with Rapid Vienna over the purchase of Slovenia striker Robert #Beric, according to RMC. #ASSE #ReadingFC

Charles Watts retweeted
Slovenian Football ‏@sloveniafooty 38m38 minutes ago
Robert Berić to @ASSEofficiel is a done deal, he is only a medical away from joining Saint Etienne. http://ekipa24.si/clanek/nogomet/sloven ... ki-pregled … @skrapid #asse

we move on

674 posts