CONFIMRED - Orlando Sa

245 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Orlando Sa

by Ian Royal » 07 Jul 2015 00:01

Nameless Bear in mind they aren't one age group.
The youngsters around the squad cover 3 groups I think (Samuel is 3 years ahead of Novacovic) , but you are right it's unlikely we'll get a dozen of this group making 100 appearances for the club. But it's happened at other clubs and we need to give as many of them a chance as possible.

Besides, until you give the promising ones a run in the team you don't know which ones'll make it. Even if they aren't a success it doesn't mean they won't be after some more development. Not that I'm advocating an entire team of them. But having a few on the bench at all times and giving them minutes regularly is likely to pay off for at least a couple.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 07 Jul 2015 01:06

Hoop Blah
urz13 First team shaping up but our reserves are still so weak, when we inevitably pick up a few injuries we have no good replacements thus far

Seriously? Try having some patience, it's the 5th of July and there's plenty of time left to buy players let alone for Clarke to use the loan market (something he's shown much more willingness to do than some of our previous managers).

After last week the squad is looking pretty healthy. We still need to add in a few places but I imagine we'll get to a point soon where it'll need players to leave before we bring more in (e.g. we won't bring in Ake until Akan leaves).

I am, I wasn't demanding more signings or anything - simply pointing out that the squad may not be as strong as some believe it to be. Obviously I'm very happy with the improvements we've made but claims that its a squad that (currently) can challenge for promotion seem a little misguided to me as we have little strength in depth.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2015 01:17

SCIAG
Nameless Bear in mind they aren't one age group.
The youngsters around the squad cover 3 groups I think (Samuel is 3 years ahead of Novacovic)

It's four age groups.

Samuel (and Obita)
Tshibola, Keown, Griffin, Long (and Tanner, Cooper, Moore)
Kuhl, Kelly, Fosu, Owusu, etc.
Novakovich

)

I had originally thought 4 and should have stuck with it but Samuel was born in 4/94 and Novakovich was born in 9/96 which looked like 3 , but it isn't because they must be based on academic not calendar years.....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2015 10:05

Yeah I think you might be taking age group to be a bit more literal than I was intending it.

The majority of these guys, and I wasn't really including Samuel in this, have been playing together for the last 4 years or so and I think of them as one age group (if not actually all the same years intake) . In these days of having an u21 development squad as opposed to the old world of YTS under 18s going into the first team squad and playing in the reserves with other players who weren't starting for the first team, I don't see them in such strict terms.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving these guys a chance and getting them into the team if and when they're ready, I'm just not convinced they are from the little I've seen of them and the amount Clarke or Adkins seemed to trust them last season (obviously they should've kicked on a bit now though).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2015 10:32

SCIAG I agree with your view. I don't think, for example, Sean Long or Shane Griffin will play 100 or even 30 times for us, but that doesn't mean they can't be our back up full backs. Have we ever had four great full backs when we weren't in the top flight? Barring perhaps the period between our last relegation and Cummings leaving, I wouldn't have said so. We may as well use the players already at the club who know their team mates and how we play rather than forking out an extra wage for a Dean Gordon/John Halls/Dan Harding type. Five quiet appearances from Griffin will do nicely.

That's an interesting point, I don't think we need 4 quality fullbacks, but I would like to see some experienced cover/competition and not just Long and Griffin.

When Coppell put together the 106 team we had the consistent Murty and Shorey of course, but we had Makin and Gunnarsson who provided the cover, plus Stephen Hunt I guess. I think we bought Halls and Goldbourne in the January of that season as well.

If we keep Kelly then it's a similar situation this season. My point was more about if we don't keep Kelly we leave ourselves short of defensive cover (I quite like the look of Keown though, but I wouldn't want him to have to start for a couple of months if Gunter pulls a hammy or something and we can't get a loan player in).

When Coppell took us to the play offs we had Murty and Armstrong, again with Gunnarsson and Hunt adding some cover as well Julian Kelly of course (who I think looked quite a bit better than Long and Griffin have for the youth teams). We also then added Harding in the January.

McDermott's side, over a few seasons had Griffin, Harte/Bertrand with Cummings, Gunnarsson, Marcus Williams (as well as that worked out!), Joe Mills and Julian Kelly, plus Matt Connolly and Hayden Mullins post January to add a bit more depth.

To me those squads look to have much better experienced depth/cover than this one IF Kelly doesn't sign.

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 27 Jul 2015 19:59

Starting up top tonight alongside Samuel.

How good a test of his talent will Crawley be?

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 27 Jul 2015 23:59

RustyRoyal Starting up top tonight alongside Samuel.

How good a test of his talent will Crawley be?

Too much by the sounds of it.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Speculation - Orlando Sa

by Arnie_Pie » 11 Sep 2015 21:39

linkenholtroyal yay another useless striker sign him we can start a club

:lol:

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 11 Sep 2015 22:02

I oxf*rd love Orlando Sa

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 12 Sep 2015 00:26

Just needs to practise his penalties now... :lol:

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 14 Sep 2015 07:29

K.URZ13 I oxf*rd love Orlando Sa

Everyone (Dellor included) said the same about his dad Mass Sa. One swallow does not a summer make.
I will Reserve judgement, don't forget you all wet yourself s on the signing of Drenthe , turned out to hopeless.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Sep 2015 08:32

Sa has played well in all of his games so far. He's already much better for this team than Drenthe.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Sep 2015 21:44

Misses a penalty
Scores a hat trick
Gets sent off

Entertaining if nothing else

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 15 Sep 2015 22:12

Beric would not do what he did

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 15 Sep 2015 22:22

URZZZZZ Beric would not do what he did

No, he wouldn't have scored a hattrick.

What a silly post, what was the stat in the other thread? 6 yellow cards and no reds in the last few seasons. Any player can have a moment of madness, including Beric.

P.S If this was sarcastic, disregard this post. Can never tell round here...

biff

by biff » 15 Sep 2015 22:26

Fkcing d1ckhead

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 15 Sep 2015 22:28

RustyRoyal

What a silly post, what was the stat in the other thread? 6 yellow cards and no reds in the last few seasons. Any player can have a moment of madness, including Beric.

Hook, line and sinker

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 15 Sep 2015 22:47

URZZZZZ
RustyRoyal

Hook, line and sinker

Thought so :oops:

Bit frustrated after today, I'll try and up my game for next time.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 15 Sep 2015 22:59

Il let you off

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Sep 2015 08:58

How can anyone stay mad at him?

Also, strangely he appears to be in a lift in that pic.

245 posts