Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Welcome back Brian!

by Oilroyal » 09 Dec 2015 09:44

Last edited by Oilroyal on 10 Dec 2015 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Welcome back Brian

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Dec 2015 09:50

I'm certainly not opposed to this and it would be good to see Brian back, very surprised that the owners would go for Brian, maybe after Fulhamgate they wanted a man they felt they could trust.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Dec 2015 09:52

I don't know on this really can't decide. Will be popular with a section of fans but going back to Brian? There is precedent with many other clubs of course but people get sacked for a reason. SJM must have been a big mover in this remembering the man love he had with Brian.

I wish him all the best but sitting on the fence on this one.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 09 Dec 2015 09:53

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure going back to someone who was sacked after displaying some all too obvious limitations really isn't the best idea - no matter how well revered by the fans.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 09 Dec 2015 09:54

Commitment, unfinished business, well respected at the club and in football so why not.

Good luck Brian you have my full support.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Dec 2015 09:55

tidus_mi2 I'm certainly not opposed to this and it would be good to see Brian back, very surprised that the owners would go for Brian, maybe after Fulhamgate they wanted a man they felt they could trust.

I think people (myself included) maybe underestimated the importance of loyalty to the Thais. That was the reason they got rid of Clarke, and it will have been the first thing they'd have looked for in a new manager. No point hiring the likes of Pearson/Bergkamp who like Clarke would have dropped their skirt as soon as a slightly bigger club came along. Brian has a real affinity with the club, and that will be important to them.

In addition, if you actually look at McDermott's record it surpasses that of just about every other manager linked with the post. He has a track record of bringing through younger players, and he'll bring a lot of fans back on side.

He'll also come a lot cheaper than most, which is important after we spent a fair amount of money getting rid of Clarke, so really in the absence of better candidates this is looking increasingly like a no brainer.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 09:55

Welcome Home Heston

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Dec 2015 09:56

Hopefully he's learned from his time at Arsenal, his inability to develop his tactics was his biggest weakness in his first spell as manager.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 09 Dec 2015 09:56

I am off to bic my head now I am so excited!!!11!!1!!

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Dec 2015 09:57

Great news.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 09 Dec 2015 09:59

Would be too much to handle if he also brought back 1 or 2 'legend' players from the last 10 years to work under him.

::on the verge of fainting here::

Delboy

by Delboy » 09 Dec 2015 10:01

great news will get the fans onside and likes attacking football, interested to see who he brings in as backup staff

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Dec 2015 10:03

He comes with a huge amount of credit in the bank. I hope he uses it wisely.

His success will spend on quickly building relationships with the talented but possibly somewhat fractured squad we have.

Will be very interesting to see how he deals with the loan players in particular, I suspect a number will be returning home.

Also interesting to see who comes in to provide coaching back up.

Welcome back Brian, let's hope you give us as much success as you did last time.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 Dec 2015 10:03

Although he had some great times here I still remember his last days where we were complete dogshit week after week, then Adkins comes in and we start playing some decent football with the same team.

This time he's got a talented squad, I just hope he's learnt enough about getting the best tactics and formation for the players he has.

His masterstroke last time was to build the team around Sig, this time I think he just needs to get the confidence back in the players.
Last edited by PieEater on 09 Dec 2015 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 09 Dec 2015 10:03

winchester_royal
tidus_mi2 I'm certainly not opposed to this and it would be good to see Brian back, very surprised that the owners would go for Brian, maybe after Fulhamgate they wanted a man they felt they could trust.

I think people (myself included) maybe underestimated the importance of loyalty to the Thais. That was the reason they got rid of Clarke, and it will have been the first thing they'd have looked for in a new manager. No point hiring the likes of Pearson/Bergkamp who like Clarke would have dropped their skirt as soon as a slightly bigger club came along. Brian has a real affinity with the club, and that will be important to them.

In addition, if you actually look at McDermott's record it surpasses that of just about every other manager linked with the post. He has a track record of bringing through younger players, and he'll bring a lot of fans back on side.

He'll also come a lot cheaper than most, which is important after we spent a fair amount of money getting rid of Clarke, so really in the absence of better candidates this is looking increasingly like a no brainer.

Stop talking so much sense!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Dec 2015 10:05

Nameless He comes with a huge amount of credit in the bank. I hope he uses it wisely.

His success will depend on quickly building relationships with the talented but possibly somewhat fractured squad we have.

Will be very interesting to see how he deals with the loan players in particular, I suspect a number will be returning home.

Also interesting to see who comes in to provide coaching back up.

Welcome back Brian, let's hope you give us as much success as you did last time.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Dec 2015 10:05

Good move in the long term? Who knows, it certainly seems like an appointment based more on history than footballing reasons, however, i'd be lying if I said i didn't have a grin on my face when i saw the news. Was very disappointed when he was sacked.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 10:06

Winston Smith I am off to bic my head now I am so excited!!!11!!1!!

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 09 Dec 2015 10:06

Not my first choice, but I'll back him.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Dec 2015 10:10

royal_rumble Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure going back to someone who was sacked after displaying some all too obvious limitations really isn't the best idea - no matter how well revered by the fans.

Come on.... Brian is one of only two people that have successfully guided the Royals in to the Premiership.

Ok, we didn't have the best of seasons up there, but with a different squad of players he might have done a better job. And remember all the outstanding players that Brian had to lose and he still managed to get us up. Every year we were selling our star players. Gylfi left us to go to Hoffenheim, Shane Long left us to move to the premiership, Matt Mills left us as well....... Despite losing top players each transfer window he still managed to win us the league and get us to the top. You can't blame him for not quite having enough in the locker to keep us there. If he had more time, I'm sure he would have continued to improve us.

This is all you want from a manager, someone who demonstrates that things continue to improve under their reign. McDermott had possibly more restrictions than most in recent times but still continued to improve us. The impatient Russian moved him out when he didn't really deserve the chop.

He's a good judge of a player and under his leadership the current group can achieve their potential.

WELCOME BACK BRIAN MCDERMOTT. YOU WILL GET A HEROES RECEPTION WHEN WE NEXT SEE YOU AT THE MADEJSKI STADIUM!

1226 posts