Do You Rate Chris Gunter?

What is your opinion on Chris Gunter?

He's a fantastic right-back, we couldn't have a better one (unless we had the money ;) )
9%
He's a talented right-back
20%
He's pretty good
16%
He's decent, but has a few flaws
29%
He's bang average
7%
He has his good moments but overall underwhelming
12%
He's pretty bad
4%
He's useless
4%

Total votes: 112
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Do You Rate Chris Gunter?

by Ian Royal » 31 Jan 2016 18:37

East End Lady Chris has just slated lawrenson on twitter , as far as I'm concerned he should be offered a new contract just for that :wink:

What did he say? It'll make a difference to how much I revise my opinion of him upwards.

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 31 Jan 2016 19:45

If Gunter didn't already play for us and we signed him for a reasonable fee I'm sure most people here would be pleased/impressed that we had a signed a player who was a first choice selection in an international team that had qualified for Euro 2016.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Jan 2016 20:06

Not his biggest fan but thought he had a good game again yesterday. He seems to have got a bit of confidence back and was a bit more aggressive in closing down his man. Excellent cross for the last goal too. I thought their right back looked quite decent. Might be a decent cheap option if Gunts moves on

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Jan 2016 20:40

I'm one of Gunter's biggest critics, but not unfairly, and I say it how it is.

Gunter was decent yesterday, though not terribly tested by poor opposition.

Absolutely fantastic cross for Vydra's header. More of that please Gunts.

teller

by teller » 02 Feb 2016 22:50

A decent right could have stopped both those goals tonight.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Feb 2016 22:54

teller A decent right could have stopped both those goals tonight.

#giveguntsacontract

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Feb 2016 22:54

Release him he's been awful for 2 seasons now

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 02 Feb 2016 23:09

Gunter and Williams are in the Bleacher Report FA Team of the week.......along with some very impressive Premier players......
someone out there rates them both very highly. ..

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 03 Feb 2016 08:33

Coppelled_Streets McDermott says he wants Gunter to stay.
Gunter says he wants to stay.
No contract offered.
Gone are the days a manager got what he wanted. It's now the owners treating clubs like a game of Football Manager.

Well it's their money tbf.

I think he's decent - huge amounts of energy but seems to have stopped getting in behind the defence like he was doing under Adkins. Links up well with McCleary but his own final ball 'needs work'.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Feb 2016 10:47

He's a liability and he costs us too many goals, equally he doesn't do enough going forward on a regular basis.

Not good enough.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 04 Feb 2016 17:57

Ian Royal
paultheroyal
ROWY Defensively adequate

Offensively wastes to many opportunities to threaten, either poor decision making or inability to stick in a decent cross

I cannot see us ever getting promoted with CG as right back

Yeah, it's never ever happened before :roll:

Not with Gunter as right back, no.

Has he got a promotion anywhere before joining us out of curiosity? He was there when Forest bottled a couple, if i recall correctly.

There are many good players who have not won promotion with a team before. As for bottling it with forest it's a team game.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Feb 2016 20:30

It's no coincidence that his arrival at the club and his continued presence has resulted in several of our worst seasons in recent history.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 04 Feb 2016 20:37

Gunts says:
“So yes there has been progress there. The best progress for me will be when there is a piece of paper in front of me and I can scribble on it.

So what exactly is he going to do on this so called 'piece of paper'? Start doodling or practise his etch a sketch skills?

Do you mean that will adorn a suitably worded contract with your autograph Chrissy?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Feb 2016 20:47

The Cap
Gunts says:
“So yes there has been progress there. The best progress for me will be when there is a piece of paper in front of me and I can scribble on it.

So what exactly is he going to do on this so called 'piece of paper'? Start doodling or practise his etch a sketch skills?

Do you mean that will adorn a suitably worded contract with your autograph Chrissy?

Hopefully it'll give him instructions on how to pass forward, take throw ins quicker and block crosses. Might need to give his team-mates some paper with instructions on how to help him achieve the first two though.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 04 Feb 2016 21:07

If he is that bad, the regular post match reporters on here single him out for critisism more often than not, then it is even more confusing why another right back wasn't brought in before the window shut ?

ROWY

by ROWY » 07 Feb 2016 18:45

Afraid that Gunter was sadly lacking yesterday - it was a perfect demonstration of how the full back is such an important offensive player, I can't recall how many promising opportunities ended with poor distribution, a failed cross or on one occasion a shot that went out for a throw in
Just not good enough

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Feb 2016 21:16

ROWY Afraid that Gunter was sadly lacking yesterday - it was a perfect demonstration of how the full back is such an important offensive player, I can't recall how many promising opportunities ended with poor distribution, a failed cross or on one occasion a shot that went out for a throw in
Just not good enough

Watching Iorfa yestedray also shows how poor Gunter is defensively as well. Iorfa had HRK in his pocket, but HRK looked pretty decent as soon as he switched flanks

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2016 22:29

Gunter is one of the reasons we're slow and predictable going forward. His first touch is rarely positive, it's negative checking back. He seems to have to receive the ball and then look, before he can decide what he's going to do with it. This means there's rarely a quick forward ball inside to Williams, or outside to the winger. He's not helped by their movement, but he's mostly committed to looking, dithering and passing the buck back to Norwood / centreback, or punting it aimlessly forward.

This just allows the opposition time to get in shape, mark up and press us. Giving us fewer options, less space and little element of surprise.

I know a full back has to be careful to avoid dangerous turnovers, but it's such a small and simple thing to change to improve us considerably.