Dislike ex-Reading players

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Dislike ex-Reading players

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2016 13:08

Agree re Pardew, he was largely the victim of West Ham's bungling.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 02 Mar 2016 13:11

Maguire Guthrie was a total prick. He'd be about the only person I can think of that falls into that category. People like Mills, no issue at all, played well for Reading and moved on to a better job.

I'm sure we'll get people on here giving Pardew stick in the run up to the 1/4 final but he doesn't deserve it either. Did a good job for Reading and has never to my knowledge been anything less that respectful since he left.

I think it hurt people so much at the time because he looked to be building something special, and also moved to a club in the same league (albeit one with more money). So that has always overshadowed his returns, although the abuse has lessened over time.

Worse was McGhee, who said he wasn't leaving and then did exactly that a few days later. He also carried himself with little grace after that and (if I remember correctly) had some choice words for the club after his Millwall team beat us.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Mar 2016 13:17

Nameless
John Smith
Nameless PAul Holsgrove obviously.
Michael Meaker for just being rubbish despite costing a lot and looking like he really didn't care (which by all accounts he didn't)
Not a big fan of Jamie Mackie either. Thought he was right up there in the 'turn it on for the cameras' club and again made it pretty clear that this was not where he wanted to be.
Not convinced by the Guthrie haters thing about 'refusing to play'. He din't. He told the manager he wasn't in the right frame of mind to travel to Sunderland (?) to sit on the bench. I thought there were off the field issues going on at the time and whilst I think a highly paid player kind of owes it to his employers to tough it out, sometimes it's more honest to say your not up to it if you are genuinely struggling. Would we praise an inured player who hid his injury and tried to play but as a result weakened the team and put himself out for longer ?

So saying he can't travel isn't refusing to play in your eyes? Is there any excuse to be made for being in the 'wrong frame of mind' whilst scooping £60k a week? No, there isn't. Don't be a Guthrie apologist

When you don't read what people write but just wade in with your ill thought out comments you run the risk of looking silly.
Don't you ?

AFAIK the full reasons behind the incident were never made public. If Guthrie simply said 'Boss I really can't be arsed' then he was 100% in the wrong. I'm not convinced that is what happened. We have players who miss loads of games with highly physical injuries that just seem to never quite get right. Some of those players are very highly thought of. Guthrie pulls out of one game and it's enough for some to crucify him, despite maybe not having the full story.

No no no. If you're trying to make me out as being stupid enough not to consider depression as serious as it is then you're wrong. I'm fully aware, believe me. However, would the club go as far as to fine him two weeks' wages if that was the case? Which is what happened. So don't go trying to make excuses for him at the expense of me for there not being enough information.

This is a player who didn't just have this as a mark on his copybook, remember. This is a player who has never really settled at any of the clubs he has played for. This is a player who failed to report for duty. This is a player who doesn't have the stomach for the fight and this is the reason this player now plies his trade at a mediocre outfit called Blackburn Rovers.

As for those stating the wage issue. You're telling me that if I doubled your wages in whatever job you do now that it wouldn't boost your morale in your job? You wouldn't want to actually turn up and work harder and put in that extra effort? Even though those around you aren't being paid as much yet for the same job? Get real the lot of you.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Mar 2016 13:19

MoorgateRoyal

Depression and other psychological issues are reasons for not being in the right frame of mind to play, regardless of how much you get paid.

Granted, that may not have been the case here, but it is a valid reason.

Although I suspect that if any player pulls out of a game and says they are suffering from depression, the reaction would be less from supportive from a lot of fans.

I'd agree, with all of the above - however, totally unconvinced this applied to Guthrie. There is no way, IMO, if it was a psychological issue, that BMcD would have insisted he apologise to the entire squad. Just cannot see that. You've also got to think that if he did have issues like that, it would have happened more regularly, and with games a bit easier to get to!
I'm generally one for giving a player the benefit of the doubt. Even Millsy. Didn't even boo Halford.
But Guthrie? No thanks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2016 13:21

Still not reading stuff are you.
I try and offer a balanced view, you keep accusing me of being an apologist and making excuses.
Can't be arsed to play games with people on here who just like picking fights.
You hate Guthrie if you want, really not something that bothers me too much !

Pip pip.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 02 Mar 2016 13:23

muirinho
MoorgateRoyal

Depression and other psychological issues are reasons for not being in the right frame of mind to play, regardless of how much you get paid.

Although I suspect that if any player pulls out of a game and says they are suffering from depression, the reaction would be less from supportive from a lot of fans.

I'd agree, with all of the above - however, totally unconvinced this applied to Guthrie. There is no way, IMO, if it was a psychological issue, that BMcD would have insisted he apologise to the entire squad. Just cannot see that. You've also got to think that if he did have issues like that, it would have happened more regularly, and with games a bit easier to get to!
I'm generally one for giving a player the benefit of the doubt. Even Millsy. Didn't even boo Halford.
But Guthrie? No thanks.

That is a very good point, and Guthrie may well have just decided he didn't fancy it so he told the manager he wasn't in the right frame of mind.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2016 13:26

muirinho
MoorgateRoyal

But Guthrie? No thanks.

Doesn't have to be black and white. I don't know if he had clinical depression, I simply understood that there were issues that were beyond 'I can't be arsed'. I can understand the club taking a view and saying he should have played but if he had simply refused to play then 2 weeks wages is a small punishment. I'd have sacked him.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Mar 2016 13:30

Nameless Still not reading stuff are you.
I try and offer a balanced view, you keep accusing me of being an apologist and making excuses.
Can't be arsed to play games with people on here who just like picking fights.
You hate Guthrie if you want, really not something that bothers me too much !

Pip pip.

I'm not picking a fight any more so than you aren't offering a balanced view. You wrote about three sentences relating to the fact it may have related to depression. I have never said it didn't relate to depression, rather offered my opinion that I don't think that was a cause.

Would a squeaky clean club like Reading really hang him out to dry like they did if that was the case? Probably not, but if you feel like you have something to offer to counter that, be my guest.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2016 14:21

I didn't say it related to depression
I said that if there was more to it than just refusing to play then he was being unfairly maligned. I had heard it was more complex than he just couldn't be bothered.
I said that IF He simply refused then he was wrong.

Can't decide if you don't read the posts you reply to or you haven't worked out that posts under different names are by different people.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 02 Mar 2016 15:26

Nameless
Kuhl_Runnings
Nameless Not a big fan of Jamie Mackie either. Thought he was right up there in the 'turn it on for the cameras' club and again made it pretty clear that this was not where he wanted to be.

+1
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-mackie-reckons-qpr-hoops-9602829
The 29-year-old returning winger also revealed wearing blue and white hoops at Reading where he was on loan last season ‘didn’t feel quite right’.

I remembered this. And I also remembered how he ran up the pitch, got tackled, moaned and reluctantly walked back to the right wing, earning £300 each time.

And in the Hudds cup game did nothing in the first half except moan at the ref and commit petty fouls forcing Clarke to sub him at half time.
When he could be bothered he was a good player, he just didn't bother most of the time. Is he related to Nick Blackman do you think ?

I actually think he was a lot like Blackman in that he could play on the wing or upfront and when they'd play they would huff, puff and do that really annoying XO face when they c0ck up. HRK was the same but not in the last couple of weeks when he's been playing on the right.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 02 Mar 2016 15:53

re the OP

Andy Hughes was fcuking shit

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2016 15:58

Wax Jacket re the OP

But
He scored that goal at Wolves
We got a shed load of money for him
You could not fault him for effort
He happily played any position asked, often in the same game
He seemed a pretty decent bloke

So why dislike him after he'd left ?

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 02 Mar 2016 21:41

Michael Meaker for just being rubbish despite costing a lot and looking like he really didn't care (which by all accounts he didn't)
Not a big fan of Jamie Mackie either. Thought he was right up there in the 'turn it on for the cameras' club and again made it pretty clear that this was not where he wanted to be.
Not convinced by the Guthrie haters thing about 'refusing to play'. He din't. He told the manager he wasn't in the right frame of mind to travel to Sunderland (?) to sit on the bench. I thought there were off the field issues going on at the time and whilst I think a highly paid player kind of owes it to his employers to tough it out, sometimes it's more honest to say your not up to it if you are genuinely struggling. Would we praise an inured player who hid his injury and tried to play but as a result weakened the team and put himself out for longer ?

Meaker and Mackie both class.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 02 Mar 2016 21:52

You've got to look at cnuts who refused to play;
1. Guthrie
2. Fae

I don't have any beef with Rosenior. Rodgers was/ is a twat. If Brian had been in charge he'd have loved the club.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 02 Mar 2016 22:07

Glenn Little has to be a candidate. The man gets a long term injury and the club stands by his side and looks after him, costing the Club a lot of time and money. As soon as he's fit again he fcuks off to Pompey's second team at the sniff of a little bit of money

Yep! It's Blakey for me.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Mar 2016 22:10

Didn't we want rid of Blakey?

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 02 Mar 2016 22:18

Wax Jacket re the OP

No waxy, you're out of order here.

Andy, despite the pricks that got on his case, never stopped giving 110% whilst wearing the Shirt, never reacting to the wangkers that booed him.
Andy was often the difference between two sides in some big games in the early promotion seasons, scoring the only goal of the game to win games against the likes of QPR, Nottingham Forest, Watford away etc.

Any way waxy, this is about ex-players that are disliked on their return, not about disliking players out of ignorance.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 02 Mar 2016 22:22

Jagermesiter1871 Didn't we want rid of Blakey?

No, him and his agent smelt money.

He returned on-loan (along with Kitson) hoping to be re-signed only to be told at the end of the term that there was no deal. I think that was Sir John getting a little revenge.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 02 Mar 2016 22:26

Nameless
Wax Jacket re the OP

But
He scored that goal at Wolves
We got a shed load of money for him
You could not fault him for effort
He happily played any position asked, often in the same game at the same time
He seemed a pretty decent bloke

So why dislike him after he'd left ?

All of the above with slight correction

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Mar 2016 07:04

taipairoyal

Meaker and Mackie both class.

Depends how low your class structure extends
if you were able to justify your claim it would be interesting, but hard to see how either of them could be someone we'd be glad to see back given their generally poor attitudes and patchy at best performances....