Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game - Palace

by Lower West » 12 Mar 2016 14:27

Dave-Royal cooper made big mess again
drop him please McDermot
Ferdinand for me plesde

Cooper is the future of the club. Players aren't going to gain experience by warming the bench.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2016 15:10

I joined in a couple of chants about Pards because, well atmosphere, but I have long since moved on from his departure and I doubt most others seriously have an issue.

The kiddyfiddler ones were far and away beyond the line. There is never a reason for that. Those singing it should take a long hard look at themselves and then grow up.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2016 15:11

Exactly. He's a young player, has made a few mistakes this season but he'll learn from them. He's also been very good at times (including last night). Considering we have virtually nothing to play for now there's no point in dropping him, give him some more experience.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2016 15:25

genome Exactly. He's a young player, has made a few mistakes this season but he'll learn from them. He's also been very good at times (including last night). Considering we have virtually nothing to play for now there's no point in dropping him, give him some more experience.

I'm not saying drop him, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be competent with quick skillful players who run at him.

He's veey lungey and I'm doubtful that's experience. He does need to learn to keep his arms to himself more, but hopefully that will come with time.

Compare with Hector whose faults were always in reigning his enthusiasm in and not gwtting carried away with how good he is. Cooper's issues seem more physical than mental to me.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 12 Mar 2016 15:54

genome . Considering we have virtually nothing to play for now there's no point in dropping him, give him some more experience.

I wouldn`t say being just 8 points clear as it stands having nothing to play for. if Rotherham get a win it will be 6 points . there is still plenty to play for.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Mar 2016 16:23

windermere_royal
genome . Considering we have virtually nothing to play for now there's no point in dropping him, give him some more experience.

there is still plenty to play for.

Sorry, but there is not.

You say "if xxx win..." - yea I get that, but in reality Reading are NOT going to get relegated and we are not going to be promoted. We are in a mid table slog till the end, and are bound to pick up a few drews, a win or two, and some losses and ultimately will dribble over the finish line in a heap.

To say there is "plenty" to play for is just inaccurate.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Mar 2016 16:28

I sometimes wonder what goes through a footballers brain when he makes a decision such as Cooper's. He will hopfully learn from that. Hector on the other hand still gets involved....even on a yellow, utterly stupid.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Mar 2016 16:33

It's all over, I'll still attend of course but will enjoy each game on it's own merits and not worry too much about points. I've stopped paying too much attention to the table since we became 'safe'.

I'd like to see a drop off in the use of any loanees and contract enders we're not realistically interested in in the summer (Vydra, Ferdinand, Hector and maybe HRK (the club will know)) and a bit more game time for the likes of McCleary, Evans, Rackels and youngsters.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Mar 2016 16:52

^ Massively this. HRK clearly won't play well again this season and the loanees going back have nothing to work for now. Building for next year is important. I'd add play Cox more often, see if he can prove he should stay!

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 17:02

Ascotexgunner I sometimes wonder what goes through a footballers brain when he makes a decision such as Cooper's. He will hopfully learn from that. Hector on the other hand still gets involved....even on a yellow, utterly stupid.

Probably exhausted tbf and errors creep in ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 17:05

Royal Ginger It's all over, I'll still attend of course but will enjoy each game on it's own merits and not worry too much about points. I've stopped paying too much attention to the table since we became 'safe'.

I'd like to see a drop off in the use of any loanees and contract enders we're not realistically interested in in the summer (Vydra, Ferdinand, Hector and maybe HRK (the club will know)) and a bit more game time for the likes of McCleary, Evans, Rackels and youngsters.

Agree might as well have a look at a few hopefuls now the season is over, Mccleary has been disappointing (get rid), Cox is a Div 1 player and Evans prob do well in U21's ..

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Mar 2016 17:11

Kitsondinho ^ Massively this. HRK clearly won't play well again this season and the loanees going back have nothing to work for now. Building for next year is important. I'd add play Cox more often, see if he can prove he should stay!

Yep also agree on this. Let's play Evans in the holding role, or push Norwood back there and go two up front. I think it is worth giving Cox a run alongside Kermogant. I thought his movement was again good last night in a thanks less role. Both he and Kermie have good footballing brains, whereas I don't think Rakels does. I'm a big fan of Vydra, but it's probably time just to send him back to Watford unless we have any realistic chance of signing him.

Oh, and John is an impact sub.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 17:41

windermere_royal

I wouldn`t say being just 8 points clear as it stands having nothing to play for. if Rotherham get a win it will be 6 points . there is still plenty to play for.

Did you mean to post this on the reading forum !

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 12 Mar 2016 18:18

First game since getting back from uni. Really good fun, fantastic atmosphere, and a reasonable performance to boot. Palace easily the better side but could have seen us sneak it. Absolutely gutted with the final, and the penalty in particular - everyone appears to be criticising Cooper for being naive (he was but that's not the point) when Bolasie threw himself on the floor. Its things like this that make people hate footballers. Anyway, ratings...

Al-Habsi - 9 - Don't really need to saw anything.
Gunter - 8 - Did very well containing a difficult winger. Extra .5 for mugging off Zaha.
Cooper - 6 - Decent enough.
McShane - 7 - Looked solid throughout.
Obita - 4 - He still isn't a full-back. Didn't get a lot from John but was pretty woeful.
Hector - 4 - Marginally better in the second half but gifted them possession far too often. Back to Chelsea pls.
Norwood - 5 - What's gone wrong with him?
Quinn - 7 - Love this guy, quality footballer.
HRK - 7 - Very busy, always looked a threat.
Cox - 6 - Pretty anonymous.
John - 6 - Great in the first half but should have definitely scored at least once.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Mar 2016 19:25

Standing up to applaud a sent off player from the pitch. If you were one of the thousands that did this, I'd love to know the thought process behind it. It's completely beyond me.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 12 Mar 2016 19:57

genome . Considering we have virtually nothing to play for now.

we can still reach a maximum of 77 points. in the last 5 seasons to get in the play offs you needed 75, 75, 68, 72 & 72. Is there a team who has proven they can go on an almost 100% win rate for the last 10 games? Is there a manager who has shown he can get a team to go on that near 100% win rate for the last 10 games?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Mar 2016 19:58

Tony Le Mesmer Standing up to applaud a sent off player from the pitch. If you were one of the thousands that did this, I'd love to know the thought process behind it. It's completely beyond me.

Cos he didnt deserve to be, put in a massive shift,and cos I didnt want him to think I blamed him, the poor little lamb

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Mar 2016 20:00

Tony Le Mesmer Standing up to applaud a sent off player from the pitch. If you were one of the thousands that did this, I'd love to know the thought process behind it. It's completely beyond me.

I thought it was mostly day trippers thinking it was a substitute and that it's what you do for every sub because there was oddly little reaction to it otherwise.

I stayed sat looking miserable and tutting wildly as if someone had just cut in on a post office queue.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 12 Mar 2016 20:03

I was one of them.
I applauded him for his efforts in keeping a premiership attack from scoring for 85 minutes and being extremely unlucky to be sent off for two weak yellow cards by a less than competent referee.
Pretty straightforward, I would have thought.
Still, very honest of you to let us know you couldn't work that one out, Tony. Is there anything else you would like to share with the group?

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 12 Mar 2016 20:28

WAZZOCK Oh and onto the match, I think Mike Dean was right to give the penalty in the first instance. Replays have proven that it was incredibly harsh and arguably shouldn't have been given, but at first glance it did look like one. :cry:

At the time, I was angry because it was another decision that had gone against us - about the tenth in a row - which had meant it was becoming impossible for us to get the ball or keep it. I assumed that it would be a stonewall penalty when I saw it on the telly. How wrong I was!

Maybe it is time for neutral referees in games like this. If England play Spain, you don't have a Spanish referee giving every decision to his Spanish mates or an English referee making every decision as if it was a game between two English sides. Therefore if a Championship and a Premiership team play each other it's wrong if the ref is so clearly a Premiership man with contempt for the championship players.

270 posts