Reading Fans' Focus Group

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Reading Fans' Focus Group

by Sanguine » 16 Feb 2016 15:49

I note with interest STAR's involvement in these focus groups and particularly the initiative that will see a STAR volunteer in each stand at home games, there to receive feedback or suggestions or grievances.

It is noted on Tilehurst End that a major flaw in STAR's operations is lack of non member representation. With that and this initiative in mind, will STAR consider a more active presence on Hobnob once more, as another avenue for direct engagement in opinions and suggestions?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading Fans' Focus Group

by STAR Liaison » 18 Feb 2016 09:04

Major flaw?!

STAR is geared to representing all supporters whether members or not, as part of our objectives.

Almost everything we discuss with the Club in our regular meetings affects members and non-members equally.

We do, on request, represent supporters, whether members or not, who find themselves in trouble with the authorities over (alleged) mis-behaviour.

We do keep a close eye on this board, and other channels of fan feedback, and take views expressed into consideration without regard as to whether they come from members or not.

With regard to HNA as an avenue for direct engagement we've had some useful feedback on Royalty Points - though nothing has happened this season - and around a quarter of the responses to our recent survey came from non-members, which was helpful.

Sometimes when we 'engage' we don't get much response - we put our programme notes on the website, following one suggestion. There was no further comment, nor any when we stopped doing it. We appealed for physical support to walk behind the "Twenty's Plenty" banner on 4 October and got nothing.

We have tried this Stand Reps thing in the past, in a lower key way, without much happening at all but we are going to give it another try. In the meantime STAR Base is open before and after matches for queries and we are getting a higher number of help and information requests coming to email addresses on our website.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Feb 2016 16:03

Instead of asking what STAR can do for us maybe we should be asking what we can do for STAR.

I'm as guilty as the next person* of wanting STAR to provide do more without lifting a finger myself to help make it happen.

*Assuming the next person to respond isn't STAR Liason

gmikael99

by gmikael99 » 24 Feb 2016 13:55

Forbury Lion Instead of asking what STAR can do for us maybe we should be asking what we can do for STAR.

I'm as guilty as the next person* of wanting STAR to provide do more without lifting a finger myself to help make it happen.

We depend so much on STAR without knowing how to show our support.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 25 Feb 2016 10:35

gmikael99
Forbury Lion Instead of asking what STAR can do for us maybe we should be asking what we can do for STAR.

We depend so much on STAR without knowing how to show our support.

Kind words appreciated, ta.

DO - join STAR! 42% of members (our survey says) think 'being the voice of fans / standing up for fans' interests' is the most important reason to join STAR - and about the same % don't use our coach travel. So there is some sense of altruistic 'fan-solidarity' out there. We know we need to improve in this area but to do so bigger numbers and more involvement would help.

DO - get involved - if there's something you want to do / an issue to be tackled that's in the interests of fans and you feel STAR might be able to help you bring it about, get in touch and see if we together can find a way forward. Or we can tell you why it's impossible!

DON'T - offer us your collection of 1990s onwards programmes! The more glossy and expensive programmes have become the less they seem to be valued and collectable.

gmikael99

by gmikael99 » 25 Feb 2016 13:03

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Feb 2016 17:19

STAR Liaison - Is there any benefit to allowing fans to sign up/add their name and details to a list to show the club that STAR speak for them/they support STAR without actually becoming members and paying the £10 or whatever it is to join?

As well as giving STAR's voice more weight it might also provide STAR with a useful independent database of Reading fans and an a way to communicate with them more effectively via an e-mail in times of need.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 26 Feb 2016 08:33

Forbury Lion STAR Liaison - Is there any benefit to allowing fans to sign up/add their name and details to a list to show the club that STAR speak for them/they support STAR without actually becoming members and paying the £10 or whatever it is to join?

As well as giving STAR's voice more weight it might also provide STAR with a useful independent database of Reading fans and an a way to communicate with them more effectively via an e-mail in times of need.

Given we are a member-based, democratic body where every (adult) member has one share and one vote I'm not sure that is the way to go.

However we do have a service that sort of addresses what you're suggesting. We have an approximately fortnightly outgoing email - STAR Bulletin - which has two, slightly different, editions. One is for members and the other for 'signed up' non-members or other parties interested in what we do. You could sign up for that and vote in whatever polls and surveys we offer and we could take the fact you've signed up as some kind of act of solidarity. To do this you would need to contact membership@star-reading.org - and to trust I've got the right end of the stick with this!

It would be easier to pay the tenner.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Feb 2016 21:35

I agree it would be better for STAR if all 20,000 fans paid them £200,000 a year, but that isn't going to happen.

However instead of STAR claiming to have the support of 1,000 or however many fans actually pay the £10, If they could get the others to tick a box/sign something to say STAR represents them then STAR would legitimately be able to say they have 20,000 registered fans behind them.... that is to say, every single paying customer of Reading FC and that carries alot more weight.

Just my thoughts as a non financial backing/non member who still supports STAR.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Feb 2016 10:03

Forbury Lion I agree it would be better for STAR if all 20,000 fans paid them £200,000 a year, but that isn't going to happen.

However instead of STAR claiming to have the support of 1,000 or however many fans actually pay the £10, If they could get the others to tick a box/sign something to say STAR represents them then STAR would legitimately be able to say they have 20,000 registered fans behind them.... that is to say, every single paying customer of Reading FC and that carries alot more weight.

OK, we'll look into this.

What do you think about the mechanism of you signing up to receive our 'non-member' email and in return we count you in the number of fans who are happy to say STAR represents their interests / views?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Feb 2016 15:24

STAR Liaison
Forbury Lion I agree it would be better for STAR if all 20,000 fans paid them £200,000 a year, but that isn't going to happen.

What do you think about the mechanism of you signing up to receive our 'non-member' email and in return we count you in the number of fans who are happy to say STAR represents their interests / views?
That sounds like it could work, maybe there would need to be something in the blub (I won't say small print as you wouldn't be trying to hide anything) to that effect though.

Obviously, STAR does represent all the fans anyway but this would show that it isn't just those who can afford to join / are required to join to use the coaches that support and back STAR

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Mar 2016 14:42

STAR Liaison

like it

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Mar 2016 14:45

Sometimes when we 'engage' we don't get much response - we put our programme notes on the website, following one suggestion. There was no further comment, nor any when we stopped doing it. We appealed for physical support to walk behind the "Twenty's Plenty" banner on 4 October and got nothing.

people are only interested when they've got something to moan about!
that's a real shame.

I disagree with the 20s plenty campaign, but if I didn't, id have considered it! :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2016 09:22

Sebastian Yes, I completely disagreed with 20's plenty as well. The more expensive the tickets, the better the class of fan that attends. It's why knuckle dragging morons don't attend the opera. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, other fans are the worst thing about attending football matches.

If I had my way I'd set ground entry requirements so that anyone without, say, a 2:1 from a Russell Group university is unable to attend.

:lol:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Mar 2016 09:09

Sebastian Yes, I completely disagreed with 20's plenty as well. The more expensive the tickets, the better the class of fan that attends. It's why knuckle dragging morons don't attend the opera. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, other fans are the worst thing about attending football matches.

If I had my way I'd set ground entry requirements so that anyone without, say, a 2:1 from a Russell Group university is unable to attend.
That's all well and good, but when it comes to televised games looks should also be taken into account - fitties to the front, everyone else upper West out of sight.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Mar 2016 15:44

TBH I hadn't REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT IT LIKE THAT.
YOUR MAVERICK VIEWS HAVE BLOWN MY MIND

oops caps!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Apr 2016 22:56

I wouldn't compare Old Trafford to the opera....... :roll:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Apr 2016 17:27

Maneki Neko

people are only interested when they've got something to moan about!
that's a real shame.

I disagree with the 20s plenty campaign, but if I didn't, id have considered it! :lol:

Yeah, I agree with you Maneki. I think 20 is still too much. It should be £6 or £7 for away fans and a tenner for home fans. Clubs don't care about their fans anymore. And that's why they won't have any fans in the future when the current generation passes away. It's very hard to attract new fans when prices are so high. Already established, long-term fans are less price sensitive and will tolerate higher prices but new fans won't even bother coming and they'll never get into it.

And as for the more tolerant, long-term fans. Even their patience is being tested. Football clubs shouldn't get complacent.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1