BFTG Forest (H)

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

BFTG Forest (H)

by seahawk10 » 05 Apr 2016 23:20

Wow! I expected there to be a thread already. This will be the first and likely last time I can start a thread like this.
Back at my room at the MadStad Hotel. I think we were the better side for most of the game. Their opening strike was against the run of play.
Deflected goal to even it then a wonder-strike by Ollie Norwood.

We deserved all three of those points.

I really enjoyed sitting in Y25 and chanting/singing/cheering with all of you fine folk.

I would rate it a 9/10 overall experience.

I will be back with player ratings in a bit!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Forest (H)

by genome » 05 Apr 2016 23:27

Were you the chap from the USA doing the half-time challenge or is that just pure coincidence?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 05 Apr 2016 23:31

seahawk10 Wow! I expected there to be a thread already. This will be the first and likely last time I can start a thread like this.
Back at my room at the MadStad Hotel. I think we were the better side for most of the game. Their opening strike was against the run of play.

I really enjoyed sitting in Y25 and chanting/singing/cheering with all of you fine folk.

Seahawk - you're a long standing legend around here, so glad you made it. And I assume it was you. I can't wait to hear how you explain a gnome to US customs. "No honestly, it's a thing they do in Europe, little guys with funny hats, I promise you..."

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Apr 2016 23:32

Haven't enjoyed a game so much in a long time. A structure to the team that brought the best out of the players we have. Good movement and passing. Plenty of crosses. Only one loanee in the starting 11 as well. Good all round attitude with no dropping of heads even when a goal down. Hopefully the foundations for next season are being laid early.

MOM Obita.

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 05 Apr 2016 23:32

Great atmosphere today, bit disappointed with the Forest fans though.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Apr 2016 23:43

Enjoyed that

While the crossing from Obita/Gunter was better today, it's still pretty sh't. For all the time they had to pick crosses, we never whip balls across between the defenders and keeper, or give aerial balls that our strikers can attack. The ball is always slightly too straight or behind, meaning the strikers are always straining backwards. When was the last time we scored a good thumping header from a sweet cross?

Most players 7/8 today. Apart from Williams, who had an off day imo

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Apr 2016 23:57

Shout out to McShane who bossed it tonight, as usual. Player of the season for me.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Apr 2016 23:58

genome Shout out to McShane who bossed it tonight, as usual. Player of the season for me.

Yeah that.

I voted McShane

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Apr 2016 23:59

John Madejski's Wallet Enjoyed that

While the crossing from Obita/Gunter was better today, it's still pretty sh't. For all the time they had to pick crosses, we never whip balls across between the defenders and keeper, or give aerial balls that our strikers can attack. The ball is always slightly too straight or behind, meaning the strikers are always straining backwards. When was the last time we scored a good thumping header from a sweet cross?

Most players 7/8 today. Apart from Williams, who had an off day imo

Williams picked up a knock in the first half tbf. Should have been subbed off.

Obita/Norwood MoTM.
Kermorgant seems to be aiming for the top corner every time. Play the odds and get it on target.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 06 Apr 2016 00:10

genome Were you the chap from the USA doing the half-time challenge or is that just pure coincidence?

Yes, that was me. :oops: :oops:

I should have gone for it. I just don't think I would have made it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 00:12

Well done at half time seahawk.
Cant believe you bottled the second kick though

I excitedly exclaimed to SKB that you were off hobnob....
...Completely nonplussed.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Apr 2016 00:22

Post and in though, textbook.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Apr 2016 00:26

Missed all this. I was having a coffee in the North Stand explaining how I was going to stage a pitch side one man dirty protest at Kermorgant's woeful finishing.

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 06 Apr 2016 00:28

Is that the first time we've come from behind to win a league game since Cooper's brace at Norwich in Nov-14?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 06 Apr 2016 00:45

Here is the Fan Verdict I wrote up for Get Reading:

Reading F.C. deservedly take home all three points in their home match with Nottingham Forest

Reading put in the kind of performance that I think all Reading supporters would willingly pay good money to watch. Reading were all over Forest to start the game! After creating chance after chance but failing to capitalize in the first half they were struck by a fluke goal against the run of play and went in down 0-1 after the first 45 minutes.

As a Reading fan from across the pond who winds up listening to games over BBC Radio Berkshire it felt like many of our matches where we were created opportunities but were just missing that tiny bit of quality to finish off those chances.

After setting an initial lineup for the game that saw us starting a good number of players who will actually still be with the club next season. Brian McDermott made some masterful substitutions. Bringing in Ola John seemed to give the crowd and the team a spark. And when Vydra joined him it was only a matter of time before we equalised and then took the lead.

Yes, it took a bit of a lucky deflection for the first goal from a Norwood smash that deflected in off Vydra but that second goal was a wonder-strike from Ollie! No one could argue that we did not deserve all three points!

What an enjoyable match-day experience for me! After choosing the newly promoted Royals in 2006 to be my club team I had dreamed of coming over and watching a match live at the Madejski! I finally decided to take the plunge and thanks to my friends off the Reading Fan Forum (www.royals.org) I not only got to attend my first game but felt welcomed like family. The 10-hour overnight flight from LAX to London was entirely worth it. I got to participate in the halftime Lucky Strike Promotion and saw my club play some very attractive football. I can't wait for my next game (which is luckily only a few days away on Saturday vs. Birmingham City).

Man of the Match: Paul McShane (Forest rarely threatened and when they did the Captain cleaned up the mess time and time again. Steady as a rock!)

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 06 Apr 2016 01:06

Ali Al Habsi 7.5/10 - (Not really challenged for much but made one crucial save that I can remember)
Chris Gunter 8/10 - (Solid performance)
Paul McShane 9.5/10 - (One of his better games, solid, I always feel confident when he is on the ball. )
Jordan Obita 8/10 - (Nice runs from the edge, decent crosses and I felt some of our best first half attacks were with him involved)
Jake Cooper - 7/10 (The big youngin was steady, headed away one or two dangerous balls)
Oliver Norwood - 9/10 (Both goals started with his shot. What a strike for that second goal!)
Lucas Piazon - 7.5/10 (Fought and tackled well, looked like he is adjusting to the championship style of play. He looked gritty tonight!)
Stephen Quinn - 7.5/10 (No complaints, did his job)
Danny Williams - 7/10 (Gave the ball away quite a few times. Someone said he was hurt. I think he did ok in the end.)
Yann Kermorgant - 7/10 (I like him, but he needs to finish off a few of these chances!
Simon Cox - 7/10 (I know everyone likes to moan about a lack of production. But i think it was his shot that Mills cleared off the line.
Matej Vydra - 9/10 (Was all over the place and helped spur us on to the win.)
Ola John - 9/10 (First thing I do when I win the Euro Lotto is work out a price for John and pay for him to join us permanently.)

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Apr 2016 01:41

Quite enjoyed it tonight, and in fact i think i enjoyed it more for their goal, added a bit of spice. WIth the way Forest were playing there was little doubt in my mind that we'd get back into it. That's as dominant as we've been since very early in the season, tactics were spot on this time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the final pass or even particularly the crossing, it seemed to me that no-one other than Vydra is interested in turning with the ball and putting the defense off balance. Instead little taps are attempted back to someone else who is surrounded by defenders.

Norwood absolutely has a future for this team when he's played there.

Liked the ref and his cronies for the most part though neutrals might say it all leaned our way a bit.

I was sure Vydra's goal was off-side, didn't even look close to me, but the lino was adamant it wasn't.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 Apr 2016 03:14

Armadillo Roadkill
seahawk10 Wow! I expected there to be a thread already. This will be the first and likely last time I can start a thread like this.

Seahawk - you're a long standing legend around here, so glad you made it. And I assume it was you. I can't wait to hear how you explain a gnome to US customs. "No honestly, it's a thing they do in Europe, little guys with funny hats, I promise you..."

It's safe to say you have the only RFC Gnome in the USA. I'm pleased he got to see a decent game and a win.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 06 Apr 2016 04:13

I found this a very frustrating game. In the first half we did play very well with Obita and Gunter outstanding. We should have been 3 or 4 up before half time but instead found ourselves a goal down. How did that happen? Stout defending and poor finishing were to blame although it was noticeable that our crossing was much improved over recent games.

In the second half we were not as fluent or as quick. The crosses were poorer and often collected easily by De Vries in the Forest goal and yet we turned it round to win 2 - 1! How did that happen?!! I'm not sure - except that Forest seemed to concentrate on defending their one goal advantage which gave the initiative to us. Even so we looked incapable of scoring - until we did! Then it only seemed a matter of time before we got the winner. Even then we survived some difficult moments as Forest came back at us but it was a well-deserved victory that keeps us in 13th position and - very nearly - mathematically safe this season.

McShane was a rock in defence and Cooper was also solid though I'd like him to control the ball when not under pressure rather than head it aimlessly forward. The midfield all did well with special mention to Norwood, of course, who made/scored both of our goals. Piazon looked as if he might be adapting to Championship football and Williams gave 100% as usual.

Kermie had a few efforts on goal desperately thwarted and Cox did OK without really threatening to score. AAH had no chance with their goal but apart from one effort that he saved well he had little to do. On balance I would award the MOTM to Obita. OJ did pretty well when he came on but, today, he was not the 'super-sub' we have come to expect. Vydra scored and did bring some energy to the game and hopefully he will advance with a little more confidence.

We more than deserved the three points - Forest were, for the most part - very poor. BM got the tactics and substitutions right and we - you've guessed it - move on to the next game!!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Apr 2016 07:15

genome Shout out to McShane who bossed it tonight, as usual. Player of the season for me.

+1