https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbs6SPPCSNQ

Alt angle of the goals. Norwood's shot looks to be going wide

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Forest (H)

by West Stand Man » 06 Apr 2016 15:38

genome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbs6SPPCSNQ

It certainly does (in real time at the stadium I was convinced it was going directly in). More importantly there are at least 2 outfield players and the keeper playing Vydra onside when Norwood strikes the ball, end of that argument.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Apr 2016 15:47

Yep, definitely onside:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Apr 2016 15:49

Anyone know where our other players are?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 15:49

WoodleyRoyal
Hoop Blah Really interesting to see the way we set up last night, certainly quite different to pretty much any other game I've seen this season, in fact it was much more like Adkins wanted us to play than anything we've seen before or after his time.

It worked because Forest had so little attacking intent or quality but I'd love it if Brian could use that blueprint to build a side for next season, although I can't imagine we could be quite so cavalier against most teams who actually looked interested in competing and making a game of it.

I don't think I've ever seen a pair of fullbacks play so high up the pitch (at the same time) for Reading, and it certainly suits Norwood to be able to drop into the space between two centre halfs who split wide like we did last night.

It'll be interesting to see if we stick with a similar approach against Birmingham who should have a lot more about them upfront.

The full backs playing so high up the pitch only works if we have defensive minded wide players though, having quinn and williams out wide allowed them that freedom. You couldn't play like that with John and McCleary out wide. If this is the favored formation going forward then i think people can give up on signing john on a permanent deal.

the wide points of a diamond are not the same as actual wide playing wingers. Quinn and Williams were not played out wide.
think we should probably be giving up on buying john anyway- will only result in disappointment.
you can play john or mcleary in that formation, they just play in piazons position instead of on the wing.
While it works at the mo, and while it is seen as the best set up to beat the next team, brian will stick to it. as soon as he sees a reason to change it, he will change it. he's played loads of different formations and tactics in his time at reading, and will continue to do so. so the wingers will get their chances again.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 15:54

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Piazon was pretty anonymous last night.

he was a colossus that bestrode the first half.

faded badly, but first half was the best ive seen him play

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 15:57

RoyalinBracknell Really enjoyed that one. Tactics worked a treat and our shape in the first half were spot on with the full-backs getting forward well. I was always confident we were going to score - no team is going to score every chance and I'm not sure it was particularly down to bad finishing (one header was well cleared off the line, one produced a good save, the looping header went narrowly wide,)

I agree with Hoop Blah that this was probably how Adkins would have liked us to play. It will be interesting to see that formation against teams who are better offensively and whether the full-backs have to focus more on defensive duties which might restrict our width,

luckily we now have players able to play intricate passes through the middle, so if the width isn't supplying crosses, we can go in that different direction.

but for sure we will come up against better teams where that formation isn't always going to work

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 16:01

Here is the Fan Verdict I wrote up for Get Reading:

Reading F.C. deservedly take home all three points in their home match with Nottingham Forest

Reading put in the kind of performance that I think all Reading supporters would willingly pay good money to watch. Reading were all over Forest to start the game! After creating chance after chance but failing to capitalize in the first half they were struck by a fluke goal against the run of play and went in down 0-1 after the first 45 minutes.

As a Reading fan from across the pond who winds up listening to games over BBC Radio Berkshire it felt like many of our matches where we were created opportunities but were just missing that tiny bit of quality to finish off those chances.

After setting an initial lineup for the game that saw us starting a good number of players who will actually still be with the club next season. Brian McDermott made some masterful substitutions. Bringing in Ola John seemed to give the crowd and the team a spark. And when Vydra joined him it was only a matter of time before we equalised and then took the lead.

Yes, it took a bit of a lucky deflection for the first goal from a Norwood smash that deflected in off Vydra but that second goal was a wonder-strike from Ollie! No one could argue that we did not deserve all three points!

What an enjoyable match-day experience for me! After choosing the newly promoted Royals in 2006 to be my club team I had dreamed of coming over and watching a match live at the Madejski! I finally decided to take the plunge and thanks to my friends off the Reading Fan Forum (http://www.royals.org) I not only got to attend my first game but felt welcomed like family. The 10-hour overnight flight from LAX to London was entirely worth it. I got to participate in the halftime Lucky Strike Promotion and saw my club play some very attractive football. I can't wait for my next game (which is luckily only a few days away on Saturday vs. Birmingham City).

Man of the Match: Paul McShane (Forest rarely threatened and when they did the Captain cleaned up the mess time and time again. Steady as a rock!)

don't get too involved will you seahawk!
you were the half time entertainment, and now youre doing the match report for the local paper...
throw yourself into th etrip why don't ya!

really glad you had a good time, and a decent match.
it could have been oh so different if youd chosen a different game
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 06 Apr 2016 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Apr 2016 16:01

Maneki Neko
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

That moment when he ran back a long distance and made a successful tackle :shock:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 16:04

genome
Maneki Neko
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

That moment when he ran back a long distance and made a successful tackle :shock:

were numerous other strong tackles/blocks, and other occasions where he ran a mile to get back to help out, and also many times he'd have been muscled off the ball in the past.
he showed oodles of heart, passion, commitment & skill

he will be a really good player one day, and its just a shame it will be with someone else

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 06 Apr 2016 16:05

genome
Maneki Neko
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

That was almost directly in front of me. He seemed quite angry at someone for having to do that.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 06 Apr 2016 16:12

I thought it was Cox. But fair play to Piazon - great tracking run and super tackle.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 16:14

cox also put in a massive shift and seem to remember one lung busting run where he managed a tackle in our own half too

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 06 Apr 2016 17:00

SCIAG
Williams 8 - carried the ball forward very well. Excellent tackle to set up Norwood's goal.

I can't agree.

First he was in space, could have passed but turned into trouble and once again went down a cup-de-sac
and lost the ball. He's on the floor and mages to hook the ball (which he shouldn't have lost in the first place)
but he hooks it straight to a Forest player. It was the Forest's player's poor control that then allowed Norwood
to rob him. Williams didn't set anything up IMO

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Apr 2016 17:25

genome
Maneki Neko
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

I had to look twice to confirm it was Piazon, definitely didn't expect that and certainly a sign of his progression that he was willing to charge back and make that challenge, Chelsea should be thankful.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 06 Apr 2016 17:26

Yeah. I don't share Snowball's Williams h8, but that goal was all Norwood's work. The only setting up Williams did was very nearly setting up a Forest attack.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Apr 2016 17:33

genome
Maneki Neko
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Yep, that was after Obita lost possession and was left completely out of position. He thumped the ground and glared at Obita after he made the challenge. Clearly wasn't impressed at having to do it (the lung bursting run and challenge) but the great thing was that he did do it. I really like him as a player.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Apr 2016 17:35

Piazon is the type of player we should have been signing last time we were in the PL!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Apr 2016 17:40

genome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbs6SPPCSNQ

Fantastic finish from Vydra. The ball came at him so fast from Norwood, it was a classy finish to guide that one into the bottom corner. Well done Vydra. Great player!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Apr 2016 17:42

RoyalBlue Piazon is the type of player we should have been signing last time we were in the PL!

I'd be pleased if we signed Piazon in the summer. I think he is a player that will only get better. He has been a bit lightweight for the Championship but I could see him adapting and becoming a force to be reckoned with.

He had a superb first half and was linking up the play brilliantly.