BFTG Birmingham

176 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2016 21:09

Terrible start to the game, shot ourselves in the foot multiple times and Birmingham took advantage twice. It's a shame, because Birmingham didn't really look all that. Although obviously having won the game by the 30 minute mark, they eased off and weren't really trying that hard.

We played some nice stuff in the middle at times and kept plugging away without much in the way of inspiration or genuine threat. I felt at 1-0 we were always at least in the game, but 2-0 was too much to ask. Don't really know what was wrong with the team today. They were just shocking defensively for that first half hour. The second goal looked to be slow motion almost.

Al-Habsi - good - not really at fault for anything, woefully exposed by the first, perhaps could have done better getting across the second (or prepping his wall better) and pushing it to safety better.
Gunter - mixed - got forward well, but I felt that left us exposed. Also, in the middle third he's as atrocious as always when it comes to being positive and urgent. Everything is negative first touch, pause, pass backwards. Summed by a move in the first half when he got forward well had the chance to put an early cross in from deep to three men in the box, but instead slowed, checked inside and looked - then failed to play the pass to feet to someone at the D, only to check back again and pass towards the centre circle.
Obita - decent - got forward well, a bit wasteful and again felt we were exposed at full back.
Cooper - thought he had a poor game, aimless long passes and run ragged
McShane - good
Norwood - mixed - often at the heart of what we do well and our better tempo, but several loose and nearly calamitous passes, including one in the build up to their first goal
Quinn - good - runs and runs and good play, lacks that spark to really make something happen
Williams - weak - couldn't seem to get away from his men and was frequently off balance and back to his blind alley style
Cox - decent - works hard but offers little goal threat, he has a place in our team potentially, but we need someone who'll score regularly and it isn't him
Kermorgant - poor - I don't like him. He stumbles around looking ok, but never really does anything particularly good
Piazon - poor - oh look he's technically good, shame he barely ever produces anything good and just minces around the pitch

Vydra - weak - no real glaring misses, no real opportunities but put a shift in. Lost the ball sloppily a few times but worked mega hard to make up for it and in all cases we soon won it back, partly thanks to him
McCleary - ok - no worse than Gunter defensively, but certainly more positive definitely more of a threat than Mr Mediocre
John - weak - plenty of time on the ball, didn't really produce everything can't be super sub every game

Can we just send Piazon back now? I'd rather play Cox, or John, or Rakels, or McCleary, or Evans

Don't think McDermott got a great deal wrong other than playing Piazon and that's understandable sticking with the same team. The team just let him down early on as they are sometimes want to do. And hard to blame them, at least they turned up and tried, unlike the crowd which was part there in body, but not in spirit. I thought the HT boos were over the top and the chants of "we lose every week" was not only obviously utterly wrong off the back of two wins, but pathetic. As was joining in with "you're oxf*rd shit". Deserved to see us lose for that IMO.

Thought the ref was pretty decent and didn't see any glaring mistakes. Maybe a bit harsh towards us or a bit lenient towards them in a couple of places but nothing major.

No surprises we lost. We're not good enough to win three on the bounce. We're inconsistent, but too good to go down. Take the set back, work hard and pick up points in the next couple.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2016 21:13

Royal_jimmy That flare the Birmingham fans set off at half time was an embarrassment. Never seen a club chant so much about a rival in a game.

"You laughed when we were relegated but who's laughing now"

Er... is it them for still being a lot better than you?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Apr 2016 21:22

Vydra - weak - no real glaring misses, no real opportunities but put a shift in. Lost the ball sloppily a few times but worked mega hard to make up for it and in all cases we soon won it back, partly thanks to him

That's weak?

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 09 Apr 2016 21:29

Last Sunday I was somewhat nonplussed to see the response to my (and others) posts from people who were not at the Macron on the BFTG Bolton thread. The consensus from people who listened on the radio, or watched the few minutes of highlights on Sky, or looked at the stats was that those of us at the game were being unreasonably harsh. Notwithstanding Tuesday's performance against a very poor Forest team perhaps our views about last Saturday's performance can now be seen in context. As I said last week, roll on next season.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2016 21:35

Ian Royal Terrible start to the game, shot ourselves in the foot multiple times and Birmingham took advantage twice. It's a shame, because Birmingham didn't really look all that. Although obviously having won the game by the 30 minute mark, they eased off and weren't really trying that hard.

We played some nice stuff in the middle at times and kept plugging away without much in the way of inspiration or genuine threat. I felt at 1-0 we were always at least in the game, but 2-0 was too much to ask. Don't really know what was wrong with the team today. They were just shocking defensively for that first half hour. The second goal looked to be slow motion almost.

Al-Habsi - good - not really at fault for anything, woefully exposed by the first, perhaps could have done better getting across the second (or prepping his wall better) and pushing it to safety better.
Gunter - mixed - got forward well, but I felt that left us exposed. Also, in the middle third he's as atrocious as always when it comes to being positive and urgent. Everything is negative first touch, pause, pass backwards. Summed by a move in the first half when he got forward well had the chance to put an early cross in from deep to three men in the box, but instead slowed, checked inside and looked - then failed to play the pass to feet to someone at the D, only to check back again and pass towards the centre circle.
Obita - decent - got forward well, a bit wasteful and again felt we were exposed at full back.
Cooper - thought he had a poor game, aimless long passes and run ragged
McShane - good
Norwood - mixed - often at the heart of what we do well and our better tempo, but several loose and nearly calamitous passes, including one in the build up to their first goal
Quinn - good - runs and runs and good play, lacks that spark to really make something happen
Williams - weak - couldn't seem to get away from his men and was frequently off balance and back to his blind alley style
Cox - decent - works hard but offers little goal threat, he has a place in our team potentially, but we need someone who'll score regularly and it isn't him
Kermorgant - poor - I don't like him. He stumbles around looking ok, but never really does anything particularly good
Piazon - poor - oh look he's technically good, shame he barely ever produces anything good and just minces around the pitch

McCleary - ok - no worse than Gunter defensively, but certainly more positive definitely more of a threat than Mr Mediocre
John - weak - plenty of time on the ball, didn't really produce everything can't be super sub every game

Can we just send Piazon back now? I'd rather play Cox, or John, or Rakels, or McCleary, or Evans

Don't think McDermott got a great deal wrong other than playing Piazon and that's understandable sticking with the same team. The team just let him down early on as they are sometimes want to do. And hard to blame them, at least they turned up and tried, unlike the crowd which was part there in body, but not in spirit. I thought the HT boos were over the top and the chants of "we lose every week" was not only obviously utterly wrong off the back of two wins, but pathetic. As was joining in with "you're oxf*rd shit". Deserved to see us lose for that IMO.

Thought the ref was pretty decent and didn't see any glaring mistakes. Maybe a bit harsh towards us or a bit lenient towards them in a couple of places but nothing major.

No surprises we lost. We're not good enough to win three on the bounce. We're inconsistent, but too good to go down. Take the set back, work hard and pick up points in the next couple.

So in summary, you think the players and the fans were at fault; and Brian didn't get a great deal wrong?

Come on. It's the managers job to get this group of for the majority 'international' players set up and motivated come Saturday. He's had plenty of time to get this team ticking. Brian got today completely wrong; hence for one of the first times I can remember since we moved to the Mad Stad our own support walked out 10mins from the end!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Apr 2016 21:43

royalp-we
Ian Royal Come on. It's the managers job to get this group of 'internationals' set up and motivated come Saturday. He's had plenty of time to get this team ticking. Brian got today completely wrong; hence for one of the first times I can remember since we moved to the Mad Stad our own support walked out 10mins from the end!

Newcastle are paying Benitez a huge sum of money to keep them in the premiership. Do you think he'll manage them in the Championship? Even the best cannot turn a turd into a bar of gold.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2016 21:49

What an odd comparison to make, considering Benitez has 8 games to turn things around and here we are 5/6 months in to Brian's stewardship - and we see a walk out by the fans.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2016 21:52

royalp-we
So in summary, you think the players and the fans were at fault; and Brian didn't get a great deal wrong?

Come on. It's the managers job to get this group of for the majority 'international' players set up and motivated come Saturday. He's had plenty of time to get this team ticking. Brian got today completely wrong; hence for one of the first times I can remember since we moved to the Mad Stad our own support walked out 10mins from the end!

I wouldn't say that's exactly what I was saying, no. I try not to use hindsight as a stick to beat the manager with. He had us creating a lot in the previous two games using the same system, both of which we won. Largely the players let Birmingham beat them through mistakes and poor play, rather than through any sort of tactical or system issue. Though I do feel the diamond isn't the best shape available, it can be rather gung-ho with your full backs pushed so far forward and lack a little in width.

I thought Vydra for Piazon at HT was absolutely the right move. Within seconds it was looking like it might pay dividends until Vydra picked up the knock. Admittedly he'd have had to have broken form and actually tucked the ball away to make the difference. I also thought McCleary on for Gunter was a very good sub and John was the obvious one too. Unfortunately the team didn't fire. But that's what happens with struggling mid-table sides.

Our last 10 are DWWDLLDWWL. Not brilliant certainly. Far from awful. In fact it's distinctly upper mid-table at 1.5 points a game, or 69 for the season. Fewer losses and draws than wins.

Just another example of Reading fans having a ridiculous sense of entitlement and stupid expectations of instant turnarounds.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Apr 2016 21:55

Not that odd peewee

We were already "damaged goods" when Brian was invited back

Anything above 14th will be ok............

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 09 Apr 2016 22:04

First 30 mins the whole team looked like they'd been on the pop til 4am. Bunch of malcos.

Cox and Cormorant possibly the worst front line I've seen at the club since I was a kid. Thought Vydra looked more dangerous than both of them. John too, obvs.

Arrival of McCleary made us look slightly better, as per usual.

Brum the better team, deserved the win. Their fans seemed to be chanting at Villa the whole match apart from one aimed at us. Which was "Are you Villa in disguise". Obsessed.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2016 22:07

Ian Royal
royalp-we

I wouldn't say that's exactly what I was saying, no. I try not to use hindsight as a stick to beat the manager with. He had us creating a lot in the previous two games using the same system, both of which we won. Largely the players let Birmingham beat them through mistakes and poor play, rather than through any sort of tactical or system issue. Though I do feel the diamond isn't the best shape available, it can be rather gung-ho with your full backs pushed so far forward and lack a little in width.

I thought Vydra for Piazon at HT was absolutely the right move. Within seconds it was looking like it might pay dividends until Vydra picked up the knock. Admittedly he'd have had to have broken form and actually tucked the ball away to make the difference. I also thought McCleary on for Gunter was a very good sub and John was the obvious one too. Unfortunately the team didn't fire. But that's what happens with struggling mid-table sides.

Our last 10 are DWWDLLDWWL. Not brilliant certainly. Far from awful. In fact it's distinctly upper mid-table at 1.5 points a game, or 69 for the season. Fewer losses and draws than wins.

Just another example of Reading fans having a ridiculous sense of entitlement and stupid expectations of instant turnarounds.

Is it really a stupid expectation to muster up a couple of decent efforts on goal?! I'm not saying we should have thrashed a mediocre Brum team. They were very ordinary. Much like the standard of opposition in that form chart where only wins against Forest, Bolton, Charlton & Rotherham. You say you don't use hindsight to beat the manager then you give a form table to back him :lol:

Tbh On first reading it just seemed like you were simply deflecting any blame away from the manager, as many are. It's a little offensive if you don't think Brian should take some of the blame for that performance toddy.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2016 22:07

AthleticoSpizz Not that odd peewee

TBH, I'm happy with finishing away from the relegation fight the ways things went before Brian came in and the slow improvement from there.

Before the summer business I was expecting relegation. Then we seemed to do good transfers and I was hoping for top half with 14 being fine. We've improved on last season, we don't have an arse as a manager any more, and we're not up financial shit creek. It'll do. It means there's always next year.

Doolittle

by Doolittle » 09 Apr 2016 22:08

Didn't see the Bolton or Forest games, but today the formation just didn't suit the players we had out there. Kermorgant and Cox are a front two without pace, and that coupled with the lack of wingers meant that Birmingham knew there was no way we could get behind them, so they could just push up and wait for us to get frustrated and misplace a pass.

Then, when Vydra came on too, we had three forwards all wanting to play in the same part of the pitch, and still no width. Didn't understand what the plan was there.

The diamond only works if you have genuine creativity in your midfield, which sadly we don't at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2016 22:08

royalp-we
Ian Royal
royalp-we

Is it really a stupid expectation to muster up a couple of decent efforts on goal?! I'm not saying we should have thrashed a mediocre Brum team. They were very ordinary. Much like the standard of opposition in that form chart where only wins against Forest, Bolton, Charlton & Rotherham. You say you don't use hindsight to beat the manager then you give a form table to back him :lol:

Tbh On first reading it just seemed like you were simply deflecting any blame away from the manager, as many are. It's a little offensive if you don't think Brian should take some of the blame for that performance toddy.

I'm not sure you've really understood the use of hindsight.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2016 22:11

No I didn't :lol:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2016 22:12

But I stand by my opinion :wink:
Last edited by royalp-we on 09 Apr 2016 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Apr 2016 22:15

brighton_royal First 30 mins the whole team looked like they'd been on the pop til 4am. Bunch of malcos.

Cox and Cormorant possibly the worst front line I've seen at the club since I was a kid. Thought Vydra looked more dangerous than both of them. John too, obvs.

Arrival of McCleary made us look slightly better, as per usual.

Brum the better team, deserved the win. Their fans seemed to be chanting at Villa the whole match apart from one aimed at us. Which was "Are you Villa in disguise". Obsessed.

IMO to say Brum were the better team is a bit OTT. Scored two goals but did sod all else (and didn`t need to) Al Habsi touched the ball just once in the 2nd half, and that was a throw in back to him. they didn`t force a single corner in the entire 90 minutes.
We totally dominated the game. but as I said in the opening post we were incapable of creating. for that you can give the men from the midlands credit for closing down our midfield and defending in numbers.
They did what they had to do and for that they deserve credit.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 09 Apr 2016 22:22

Winston Smith From that lot today I would keep Cooper, McShane, Norwood & Quinn. The rest I would ship out this summer.

Ah, its sinking in, I think you got it.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 09 Apr 2016 22:26

windermere_royal We totally dominated the game.

lolwut

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 09 Apr 2016 22:28

Ian Royal
AthleticoSpizz Not that odd peewee

TBH, I'm happy with finishing away from the relegation fight the ways things went before Brian came in and the slow improvement from there.

Before the summer business I was expecting relegation. Then we seemed to do good transfers and I was hoping for top half with 14 being fine. We've improved on last season, we don't have an arse as a manager any more, and we're not up financial shit creek. It'll do. It means there's always next year.

Good transfers my arse, expect little improvement next season if we still have to play so many foreign mercenary's, no heart, no passion, no hope.

176 posts