BFTG Birmingham

176 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by 3points » 11 Apr 2016 13:13

OLLIE KEARNS Credit is due to a very well organized Birmingham team who have the 4th best away record in the league. Their tactics away from home are to basically nullify the opposition strengths knowing that they have the quality going forward to nick a goal. They would have seen the Forest game and basically set up to stop our full backs getting out and playing Donaldson on the left side of midfield was very astute on the part of Gary Rowett. He worked his socks off to stop Gunter going forward whilst also making the box any time they got into a crossing position.
Some observations with regard to us would be

Full backs - They are just involved in too many goals against one way or another. Obita 5 yards off instead of getting tight and stopping the cross for the goal. Gunter not reacting to the spilled free kick when their centre back does react. I have some sympathy with Obita in that he spent his formative years learning to be a winger but unfortunately he defends like one too often. We need two full backs who can defend first and foremost
Norwood - I am a fan but he too often takes the easy option in terms of playing where there is little pressure. He played 10 yards too deep on Saturday and pretty much ended up as a third centre back at times.
Piazon - Don't think we'll see him play again for us. If you play at the top of a midfield diamond then you have to influence the game going forward and he didn't at any point.
Cox - He is actually one of our better footballers and it was interesting to see him given the Piazon role at the start of the second half. Wouldn't surprise me to see him given a 1 year extension.
Kermorgant - Looks a genuine threat when we get crosses in as we did against Forest but cut that supply line and he is ineffective.
McDermott - He often tweaks things during a game but both he and the players looked lost for ideas after the first quarter of the game. Formation clearly being nullified by Brum but no attempt to mix it up, even if it was just a few diagonal crosses to get people running off Kermorgant.

I actually left early for the first time ever which sums it up I guess.

Good post - agree with most of that

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 11 Apr 2016 13:29

leon
Dixeyroyal
AthleticoSpizz Sooooooooo....Dixey

Who should we realistically be targeting (given that Brian is obviously on your hanging list)?

He is on my hanging list because he clearly learns nothing from previous mistakes in this division, despite being sacked by 2 sides that needed a different approach to winning games, not the same f-----g dross every week and the fingers crossed that it will work more often than not. The problem is with the McDermott fan club, all members assume that "the messiah" will once again bring success to a team that lacks everything needed to succeed in this division. And please don't start with the "not his team" bollocks, he has more than enough players to pick from and still picks players that are inconsistent, overweight, out of form, incapable of passing the ball 10 yards or actually tackle an opponent. Stay in your little "McDermott and his chocolate factory" bubble for as long as you like but the bloke is tactically inept and does not deserve to be our Manager.
And in answer to your question..... Pearson, Moyes, Sherwood, Holloway, Hoddle, Neville, Rodgers, Coppell and at least 20 others who would do a better job!

Twat

Nice use of language, clearly your vocabulary is quite limited and a one word answer is your only response to a debate where someone disagrees with your own point of view!

Although my post was full of emotion after the game, the general point was that McDermott seems to quite often lose the plot, and that then leaves many questioning his ability as a Manager. I totally get the idea of trying different systems when we are safe, but surely if we are going to experiment over the next few games then why not use players who will be here next season and very much part of what Mcdermott is trying to build.

Maybe I'm being harsh here but McDermott is his own worst enemy, especially when his formation baffles everyone but the opposition, and then his substitutions when it all goes wrong scream out "this is what i should have done in the first place" by which time it's too late.

For the record I dont hate the Man, I just think that he was the wrong choice to replace Clarke and he has done nothing since to convince me otherwise. His strength has always been his man management and sense of togetherness, although I would argue that both were severely lacking on Saturday (not for the first time) and he didnt seem to know how to fix it.
I would be very happy to be proved wrong but right now McDermott is looking far from a Manager who is going to repeat what he did here last time :cry:

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 11 Apr 2016 13:59

No Fixed Abode
Snowball
No Fixed Abode Some people have said "Worst performance of the season".

But remember. Things are improving under BM.

That "worst performance came four days after what
many thought was our BEST performance of the season

So a 2-1 home win over free falling Forest was better than a 5-1 home win over promotion chasing Ipswich. OK then. :|

*I* didn't say it was. (Maybe they said best under McD?)

But I also remember hearing many say the 5-1 v Ipswich flattered us
and was just one of those games when everything went right.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2016 14:26

Dixeyroyal
leon
Dixeyroyal
He is on my hanging list because he clearly learns nothing from previous mistakes in this division, despite being sacked by 2 sides that needed a different approach to winning games, not the same f-----g dross every week and the fingers crossed that it will work more often than not. The problem is with the McDermott fan club, all members assume that "the messiah" will once again bring success to a team that lacks everything needed to succeed in this division. And please don't start with the "not his team" bollocks, he has more than enough players to pick from and still picks players that are inconsistent, overweight, out of form, incapable of passing the ball 10 yards or actually tackle an opponent. Stay in your little "McDermott and his chocolate factory" bubble for as long as you like but the bloke is tactically inept and does not deserve to be our Manager.
And in answer to your question..... Pearson, Moyes, Sherwood, Holloway, Hoddle, Neville, Rodgers, Coppell and at least 20 others who would do a better job!

Twat

Nice use of language, clearly your vocabulary is quite limited and a one word answer is your only response to a debate where someone disagrees with your own point of view!

No, it was just a succinct appraisal of your post - and my view of anyone who uses the expression "the manager is tactically inept".

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 11 Apr 2016 14:31

leon
Dixeyroyal
leon Twat

No, it was just a succinct appraisal of your post - and my view of anyone who uses the expression "the manager is tactically inept".

He must be tactically inept to have saved us from relegation, taken us to a PO final, 2 FA cup quarter finals & winning the Championship.

bubibe

by bubibe » 11 Apr 2016 14:31

AthleticoSpizz Think you'll find Brian is not the guy to bring in foreign loanee mercenaries.........as if anyone needed telling

He spends a lot of his working week watching the youth games.........sizing up who might be good enough for us in the coming days

He is also pretty astute and has his contacts within the league market

Brian may not get much of a vote who gets brought in as he is on record as saying the owners bought Rakels. Starting to wonder if Steve Clarkes bizarre behavior in talking to Fulham may be due to dissatisfaction with interference.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Apr 2016 14:47

Dixeyroyal
leon
Dixeyroyal

Twat

Although my post was full of emotion after the game, the general point was that McDermott seems to quite often lose the plot, and that then leaves many questioning his ability as a Manager. I totally get the idea of trying different systems when we are safe, but surely if we are going to experiment over the next few games then why not use players who will be here next season and very much part of what Mcdermott is trying to build.

Maybe I'm being harsh here but McDermott is his own worst enemy, especially when his formation baffles everyone but the opposition, and then his substitutions when it all goes wrong scream out "this is what i should have done in the first place" by which time it's too late.

For the record I dont hate the Man, I just think that he was the wrong choice to replace Clarke and he has done nothing since to convince me otherwise. His strength has always been his man management and sense of togetherness, although I would argue that both were severely lacking on Saturday (not for the first time) and he didnt seem to know how to fix it.
I would be very happy to be proved wrong but right now McDermott is looking far from a Manager who is going to repeat what he did here last time :cry:

Twat

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 11 Apr 2016 15:47

Forbury Lion
taipairoyal
Emeraldroyal

Who cares back to topic.
We were pants yesterday....discuss

Nothing to do with passports (you can buy one on line) or Commonwealth,, or head of state, if the bones of your ancestors are not buried on these Islands then you are not ethnically British, English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh.
A bit harsh on those whose ancestors were buried at sea, cremated, buried in a war grave over in France etc..... also how far back are you going for ancestors? Is it worth a foreigner bringing their elderly relatives over and burrying them here (dead or alive)?

Silly boy, please lets have a serious debate.
Last edited by taipairoyal on 11 Apr 2016 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 11 Apr 2016 15:55

RoyalJames101
leon
Dixeyroyal

He must be tactically inept to have saved us from relegation, taken us to a PO final, 2 FA cup quarter finals & winning the Championship.

Your still missing the point....... I do not deny any of his past achievements but (as everyone keeps reminding us) we cant live in the past and nothing I have seen so far convinces me that he can replicate any past achievements.
I keep being reminded of how good he used to be, BUT..... I am interested in what happens now and it worries me that he still hasnt got a talented group of players playing together. I find his tactics baffling and his lack of plan B quite frightening.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 11 Apr 2016 15:58

Extended-Phenotype
Dixeyroyal
leon Twat

Twat

Nice..... you must be really proud of your grown up response, did you know how to spell TWAT or did you just copy and paste from the previous post?

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 11 Apr 2016 16:23

Dixeyroyal
RoyalJames101
leon

Your still missing the point....... I do not deny any of his past achievements but (as everyone keeps reminding us) we cant live in the past and nothing I have seen so far convinces me that he can replicate any past achievements.
I keep being reminded of how good he used to be, BUT..... I am interested in what happens now and it worries me that he still hasnt got a talented group of players playing together. I find his tactics baffling and his lack of plan B quite frightening.

'Talented group of players' based on what? This has really irked me over this season.

Many supporters have said that we should be doing much better with the players we have, but why? How many of them have ever proved to have genuine quality? Al-Habsi has won the FA Cup, McShane has mainly played in the Premier League, Kermorgant won the league with Bournemouth. Other than that what have any of our other players achieved? Williams, Norwood, Obita, Gunter, McCleary and John have never done anything of note in their career.

Regarding McDermott not having a plan B, is that not what he's trying to find now? He's trying out new ways of playing but apparently he's one dimensional? It's all well and good saying play the players that will be here next season, but we don't know which ones will be. He wants to play the loan players to see what they are like and make a decision on whether he wants them back.

He could easily chuck all the u21 players out there but what good will it do them to get stuffed 3-0 each game and no doubt get boo'd by our fans who constantly overreact? It could destroy the confidence they have and they might not come back the same in pre-season.

For me, let McDermott do whatever needs to be done over the next couple of weeks so he's ready for pre-season. Let him sign players that are more proven in this division, instead of mercenaries that are probably just here to pick up a salary.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 11 Apr 2016 16:27

Why am I such a cock-juggling thundercnut?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Apr 2016 16:50

Dixeyroyal
RoyalJames101
leon

It's a good job you don't work in Recruitment. You're not a headhunter or anything like that.

You might be baffled. But remember his Plan B depends a lot on what players he has available. It is the players that can affect the game. You can only roll the dice with what you have. Maybe after the summer, he might have a really good plan B. Bringing on Ola John and Matej Vydra is an example of a plan B. You can't bring on Andy Carroll if you don't have him.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Apr 2016 21:06

RoyalJames101 Regarding McDermott not having a plan B, is that not what he's trying to find now?

Forget Plan B. I think we are still looking for Plan A.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Apr 2016 22:28

RoyalJames101 Many supporters have said that we should be doing much better with the players we have, but why? How many of them have ever proved to have genuine quality? Al-Habsi has won the FA Cup, McShane has mainly played in the Premier League, Kermorgant won the league with Bournemouth. Other than that what have any of our other players achieved? Williams, Norwood, Obita, Gunter, McCleary and John have never done anything of note in their career.

Pffft.

First up, I don't think "what they've achieved" is especially relevant. Michael Dobson achieved more at Reading than Gylfi Sigurdsson. We should judge players on what we've seen them do, not the list of medals to their names.

But I'll humour you. John has played in the Champions League and is a Dutch international.
Williams spent four years playing in the Bundesliga.
Norwood has been consistently one of the leading midfielders in the division since before he joined us.
McCleary scored 9 goals in 22 matches for Forest in his last season there. 7 assists too. First season after our relegation he got 10 assists and was our main attacking threat. Admittedly he's been toothless for a while now.
Gunter has 66 Wales caps, was awarded Football League Scholar of the Year, and has twice been signed by Premier League teams.
All of them (except John) have an FA Cup semi final under their belts.

If promotions and medals are all that matter, then Cox, Vydra, Piazon, Quinn, Bond, and our U21 cup winners would like a word.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Apr 2016 23:23

bubibe
AthleticoSpizz Think you'll find Brian is not the guy to bring in foreign loanee mercenaries.........as if anyone needed telling

He spends a lot of his working week watching the youth games.........sizing up who might be good enough for us in the coming days

He is also pretty astute and has his contacts within the league market

Brian may not get much of a vote who gets brought in as he is on record as saying the owners bought Rakels. Starting to wonder if Steve Clarkes bizarre behavior in talking to Fulham may be due to dissatisfaction with interference.
More likely to be about lack of budget for even more new players in january and/or the plan to sell blackman.
Imo.
But none of us any real idea of whats gone on there

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Apr 2016 00:11

SCIAG
RoyalJames101 Many supporters have said that we should be doing much better with the players we have, but why? How many of them have ever proved to have genuine quality? Al-Habsi has won the FA Cup, McShane has mainly played in the Premier League, Kermorgant won the league with Bournemouth. Other than that what have any of our other players achieved? Williams, Norwood, Obita, Gunter, McCleary and John have never done anything of note in their career.

Pffft.

First up, I don't think "what they've achieved" is especially relevant. Michael Dobson achieved more at Reading than Gylfi Sigurdsson. We should judge players on what we've seen them do, not the list of medals to their names.

But I'll humour you. John has played in the Champions League and is a Dutch international.
Williams spent four years playing in the Bundesliga.
Norwood has been consistently one of the leading midfielders in the division since before he joined us.
McCleary scored 9 goals in 22 matches for Forest in his last season there. 7 assists too. First season after our relegation he got 10 assists and was our main attacking threat. Admittedly he's been toothless for a while now.
Gunter has 66 Wales caps, was awarded Football League Scholar of the Year, and has twice been signed by Premier League teams.
All of them (except John) have an FA Cup semi final under their belts.

If promotions and medals are all that matter, then Cox, Vydra, Piazon, Quinn, Bond, and our U21 cup winners would like a word.

Don't think Dobson got a medal for his one game. In which case Sigurdsson did achieve more than him.
WIlliams had two seasons playing properly in the Bundesliga. The two seasons before that he made 13 appearances in total.
Norwood was an unused sub in the semi-final.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Apr 2016 07:58

Dixeyroyal
RoyalJames101
leon

The inept tactics that won previous two?
No plan B,like going 3 at the back?oe 433, or 4diamond2

Think before posting

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 12 Apr 2016 07:59

To busy being "baffled" and "frightened" to think straight, obvs

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Apr 2016 09:18

hes completely fraffled