Football League Restructure

Bonzodog

Football League Restructure

by Bonzodog » 19 May 2016 18:43

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... xtra-teams

Football League restructure proposed for 2019 with 4 divisions in the Football League of 20 clubs in addition to the Premier League. This would mean an extra 8 clubs joining the current 72 clubs, the end of midweek fixtures and eventual scrapping of FA Cup replays. A winter break is also proposed. I am not in favour as I see it as another downgrading of the FA Cup and generally enjoy midweek matches under lights.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Football League Restructure

by blueroyals » 19 May 2016 18:51

"Clubs won't lose money with the reduction in games"

Translation - season ticket prices will remain the same despite getting less games for your money. Get fucked

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 May 2016 19:03

I hate night games, and judging by the reduced crowds they get, so do a lot of other people, so I'm in favour.

I find the 46 game season a bit of a slog.

There's no link between this and cup replays being scrapped potentially. The football league don't run the FA Cup, nor do the FA run the football league.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 May 2016 19:11

No night games? How will S$y and the likes manage to squeeze in their televised fixture f11ckarounds?

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 19 May 2016 19:13

There are also many fans who either work Saturdays or play football then who can only attend evening games. I also accept that evening games are not suitable for younger fans.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 19 May 2016 19:15

tmesis I hate night games, and judging by the reduced crowds they get, so do a lot of other people, so I'm in favour.

What a selfish attitude...
Couldn't you just not attend midweek fixtures and let those that enjoy them get on with it?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 19 May 2016 19:18

AthleticoSpizz No night games? How will S$y and the likes manage to squeeze in their televised fixture f11ckarounds?

There'll still be ploughing ahead with a televised game every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, don't you worry about that.

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 19 May 2016 19:21

AthleticoSpizz No night games? How will S$y and the likes manage to squeeze in their televised fixture f11ckarounds?

Sky will take their pound of flesh by scheduling Preston v Reading at 8pm on a Saturday night or 11am on a Sunday morning

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 May 2016 20:53

Crap idea, less games, less midweek football, less at Xmas = out.

Hopefully clubs vote it out also.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 May 2016 21:09

P!ssed Off
tmesis I hate night games, and judging by the reduced crowds they get, so do a lot of other people, so I'm in favour.

Couldn't you just not attend midweek fixtures and let those that enjoy them get on with it?

Just out of curiosity, what do you like about night games?

I used to love night games at Elm Park. It just felt more edgy and atmospheric. At the Madejski though, it tends to be more flat than usual.

We have a lot more night game than we used to have. A quick check shows that if you exclude games moved midweek for tv, in 97/98, eight of 46 were midweek. In the season just gone, 13 were.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 May 2016 21:15

I guess that's mainly down to international breaks and us going further in the cups.

I'm not a fan of doing away with midweek games or having a winter break so needless to say I'm not in favour of this if that's the main impact.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 May 2016 21:34

There's still be night games. There'd just be fewer of them.

There's no mention of a winter break.
http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/a ... 19809.aspx

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 May 2016 21:41

I don't need a winter break, I cope pretty well with matches every week of the season.
I expect young athletes earning more in a week than I do in a year to cope equally well.
If they want to reduce the fixture list then sort out the bloated international schedule.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 May 2016 21:53

Nameless I don't need a winter break

there's no proposal for a winter break.

mx

by mx » 19 May 2016 22:51

Seems like an idea worth discussing, but if they add a division, why not go regional? Division 4 north and south anyone? more derbies, lower costs for fans and clubs would offset the loss of revenue from fewer games.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 20 May 2016 00:43

tmesis
P!ssed Off

Just out of curiosity, what do you like about night games?

I used to love night games at Elm Park. It just felt more edgy and atmospheric. At the Madejski though, it tends to be more flat than usual.

We have a lot more night game than we used to have. A quick check shows that if you exclude games moved midweek for tv, in 97/98, eight of 46 were midweek. In the season just gone, 13 were.

The plan is not to convert midweek games to weekend games. The plan is to scrap the corresponding amount of fixtures that are currently midweek.
What do you gain under the proposal? Nothing.

Scrapping 8 games a year because you don't like games on a Tuesday... Well I don't fancy away trips to Blackburn, shall we scrap them and only play 45 fixtures next season?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Too many games, reprise

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 May 2016 07:02

Can't find my original thread, and will post here again as this can affect the team.
What do folk think about the new proposals of 5 leagues if 20 teams?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 May 2016 08:33

It won't get voted through as teams in L1 and L2 particularly need the games for income. Although, they could always pay the players less.

It doesn't mean that a new structure isn't worthwhile or worth discussing though - perhaps making the Championship alone 20 teams to better mirror the PL calendar could be worth it and have 3, 24 team divisions below that.

Doesn't help with fixture congestion in the lower leagues but you can argue that is less of a problem as teams are often out of cups early etc.

Would make for a hell of a muddled season in 2017/18 (on whenever though), assuming promotion/relegation has to be retained in all but the bottom league, then the splits would mean:

New Championship = 3 PL relegated, 3 promoted from League 1 and teams finishing 4th to 17th in CCL
L1 - 7 relegated from Champ (18-24th, 3 up from L2, and teams finishing 4th-13th in L1)
L2 - teams finishing 14th or lower in L1 and 4th to 12th in L2
L3 - 13th and lower from L2 and 8 from the National League

Maths may not be perfect there but still, would be a crazy season.

Add the fact that the PL support the move in principle, could still see the "B" teams attempt to be parachuted into L3.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Too many games, reprise

by Nameless » 20 May 2016 08:35

I think there is already a thread in General Football

But the idea of making the Confernce part of the League officially is fine
Getting rid of games is bad, because it won't reduce prices for fans.
Getting rid of evening games is bad
Winter breaks are in necessary
There are too many games, but it's the international stuff that is the problem. We seem to have endless 'international breaks' when proper football gets shoved to one side for the sake of the bloated international circus.
Stop clubs flying off to play money spinning friendlies on the other side of the world. If the players are 'tired' then putting them on a 16 hour flight won't help them rest.
Stand up to to companies and tell them their rule that no domestic games can be played if a European game is on TV is unreasonable. Most people can't watch European club football anyway thanks to BT sport
Leave the core of the game alone

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

New Football League Structure

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 May 2016 08:46

Not sure about this , with the league needing 90% of clubs to vote for in favour I don't think it'll happen

If it does a reduction in season ticket prices I presume and essential we stay in top division.

I'm convinced in time they will make promotion to the Premier League harder may one up one down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384