Team for Brighton (H)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Team for Brighton (H)

by leon » 18 Aug 2016 20:48

Ian Royal
Top Flight From a defensive point of view, what is wrong with having 2 banks of four? Let the opponent try and penetrate through 2 banks of four. If only everyone would do their jobs properly we wouldn't be so lightweight.

1) We don't have one decent striker, let alone two.
2) We're getting overrun in midfield with three central midfielders, let alone two.
3) You don't abandon your ethos and plan because of two matches and a handful of internet bedwetters.

Classy as ever Ian. You're even stealing my material.

We don't have a defensive midfielder to shield the back four ie someone to break up attacks and get the ball out to the wings.

We haven't had one since Leigterwood, and guess what we've been piss weak in midfield since.

Personally I'd have two defensive midfielders away and counter attack down the wings.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2016 22:16

Personally, I couldn't give a f11ck

They've got Sidwell

alfie9

by alfie9 » 19 Aug 2016 00:00

Al-Habsi

Swift Swift Stam Swift

Swift Swift Swift

McCleary Swift Swift

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Aug 2016 10:39

sandman Al Habsi

Gunter
McShane
Cooper
Obita

McCleary
Williams
Quinn
Swift
Beerens

Mendes

Subs: Jaakola, Watson, Van Den Berg, Weiser, Evans, Harriot, Rakels

I think sandman has nailed it (as per) here. Probably swap keepers though as I really am not an Al Habsi fan despite his occasional shot stopping abilities.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Aug 2016 11:41

John Smith
sandman Al Habsi

Gunter
McShane
Cooper
Obita

McCleary
Williams
Quinn
Swift
Beerens

Mendes

Subs: Jaakola, Watson, Van Den Berg, Weiser, Evans, Harriot, Rakels

I think sandman has nailed it (as per) here. Probably swap keepers though as I really am not an Al Habsi fan despite his occasional shot stopping abilities.

broadly agree but not sure who's going to tackle anyone in that midfield?

I'd have Van Den Berg in front of the defence and sacrifice Williams

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Aug 2016 13:21

Van Den Barton would be the one to play there if the manager chose to bring Cooper back in.

Just thought for my team that Williams and Quinn might provide a bit more energy and buzz around them a bit more than Van Den Barton.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Aug 2016 14:09

No panicking.

Al-Habsi; Gunter, McShane, Cooper, Obita; Swift, VDB, Quinn; McCleary, Kermogant, Beerens
Subs: Jaakola, Gravenbech, Watson, Evans, Williams, Harriott, Mendes

Let's sacrifice a bit of our footballing ability in favour of a bit more protection for the defence. Cooper in for Evans with VDB as a defensive midfielder. To compensate, Quinn comes in for Williams.

Other than that, as few changes as possible.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2016 17:44

SCIAG No panicking.

Al-Habsi; Gunter, McShane, Cooper, Obita; Swift, VDB, Quinn; McCleary, Kermogant, Beerens
Subs: Jaakola, Gravenbech, Watson, Evans, Williams, Harriott, Mendes

Let's sacrifice a bit of our footballing ability in favour of a bit more protection for the defence. Cooper in for Evans with VDB as a defensive midfielder. To compensate, Quinn comes in for Williams.

Other than that, as few changes as possible.

+1 apart from kerm.

The big one is the midfield. It offers no protection to the already shaky and vulnerable back four. Quinn offers energy and technical ability to boot, Williams on the other hand actually offers very little. I almost guarantee we would look 10 fold better with the midfield suggested.

I have a horrible suspicion Stam will persist with the same team.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Aug 2016 18:12

CountryRoyal
I have a horrible suspicion Stam will persist with the same team.

Expect a change or two. Three game in. First tweaking.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Aug 2016 08:56

Ian Royal From the limited amount I've seen, I'd say the defence is weak, the midfield lacks the ability to protect it and the frontline are playing too far apart to support each other.

Stam's 4-3-3 appears to be

.........................GK
......RB....CB...............CB....LB
.............RCM............LCM
.......................ACM
RW...........................................LW
........................CF

Do you think?

It seems to be it's a lot more like one midfielder holding in the middle (Evans so far) and two in front of him given too much licence to roam (Williams & Swift). It's a little like the shape Mourinho employed during his first stint at Chelsea.

IMO our problem is that the 3 in midfield are far too narrow and far too weak. I know you like it Ian, so take a look at the WhoScored.com heat maps and you'll see that both Willams and Swift appear to be playing at a number 10 in that view of things (based on where they're touching the ball I believe) and so the back get no protection whatsoever.

I'd much prefer to see Quinn and AN Other in the two defensive positions in the shape you've described above, with Swift as the attacking midfielder, but it doesn't look, at the moment, that that's how Stam is trying to set us up.

Are the heat maps just giving a bit of a false impression? I've not seen enough yet to really know.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Aug 2016 10:44

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal From the limited amount I've seen, I'd say the defence is weak, the midfield lacks the ability to protect it and the frontline are playing too far apart to support each other.

Stam's 4-3-3 appears to be

.........................GK
......RB....CB...............CB....LB
.............RCM............LCM
.......................ACM
RW...........................................LW
........................CF

Do you think?

It seems to be it's a lot more like one midfielder holding in the middle (Evans so far) and two in front of him given too much licence to roam (Williams & Swift). It's a little like the shape Mourinho employed during his first stint at Chelsea.

IMO our problem is that the 3 in midfield are far too narrow and far too weak. I know you like it Ian, so take a look at the WhoScored.com heat maps and you'll see that both Willams and Swift appear to be playing at a number 10 in that view of things (based on where they're touching the ball I believe) and so the back get no protection whatsoever.

I'd much prefer to see Quinn and AN Other in the two defensive positions in the shape you've described above, with Swift as the attacking midfielder, but it doesn't look, at the moment, that that's how Stam is trying to set us up.

Are the heat maps just giving a bit of a false impression? I've not seen enough yet to really know.

So far I've seen 10 minutes of each match and it's always harder to get an overall picture of shape from tv.

Who scored started by saying we were playing a 4-3-3 wiyh Preston but has since gone 4-2-3-1. Not that i think it's formations are particularly accurate. Will take a look at the heat maps, but I could quite believe Williams going awol as all he really seems to want to do is run the ball forward solo.

I certainly trust your judgement if you've been to a couple. I'm still on boycott for the time being and may be for the rest of the season.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 20 Aug 2016 11:27

Al Habsi

Gunter
McShane
Cooper
Obita

VDB

Swift
Williams

McCleary
Beerens
Meite

Something needs changing in defence, so why not try Cooper in for Evans with VDB pushed forward to try and offer a little more protection. Don't want to go too defensive though, as we are at home. I'd also like to see Meite in for Kerm, as he's fairly strong but very quick which IMO we've missed up top. I expect to see Mendes starting instead however.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 20 Aug 2016 11:40

--------------- Al Habsi-----------------
---Gunter--McShane--Cooper---
---------------Joey VDB----------------
---GMac---- Quinn----Beerens---
-----------------Swift--------------------
----------------Mendes-----------------

Subs: Jaakkola, Obita, Watson, Evans, Meite, Rakels, Harriott

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 20 Aug 2016 11:55

Al Habsi

Gunter Cooper McShane Obita

VDB Evans

McCleary Swift Quinn

Mendes

Think we need to sacrifice Beerens and be a little bit more solid.