A funny thing happened to me on the way to the game.....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: A funny thing happened to me on the way to the game.....

by leon » 08 Oct 2016 00:31

Norfolk Royal I was on my way to a game once and I got beamed up into a spaceship by aliens who did some experiments on me, yes including probing.

However, they were kind enough to drop me back quite close to the ground after they had examined me and it didn't really spoil the day to be honest.

Swindon at home?

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 08 Oct 2016 15:02

AthleticoSpizz Happy days indeed

Turned up in the SB for a Pompey 1970's game thinking that I was amongst friends donning blue and white.......only to find.......

WRTTOP, I was on my way to Grimsby once, to watch us play......(.Grimsby don't play in Grimsby).....

This happened to us in the late 70's. Into the SB, lots of blue and white but also lots of northern accents, there we were, in amongst the Wednesday supporters! Quickly moved off into the Town end and relative safety.....

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Oct 2016 22:09

After watching England v France in Donetsk in the 2012 Euros, I was walking back to the city centre when I spotted some bloke walking along the path in the other direction.

He was strolling along, completely casually, smoking a cigarette, looking like he was out on a completely normal walk to the shops, or something like that. Nothing strange at all, except for the fact that he was stark bollock naked.

There was a little group of kids about 10 paces behind him, giggling away, that he seem oblivious to. A short distance further up the road he passed two policeman on the other side of the road. One did a kind of exaggerated double-take that could probably have got him pantomime work if an agent had seen it, before dashing over to arrest him (or invite him back to their place - I didn't stop to find out).

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 10 Oct 2016 11:54

dean horrix legend

Turned up in the SB for a Pompey 1970's game thinking that I was amongst friends donning blue and white.......only to find.......

WRTTOP, I was on my way to Grimsby once, to watch us play......(.Grimsby don't play in Grimsby).....

This happened to us in the late 70's. Into the SB, lots of blue and white but also lots of northern accents, there we were, in amongst the Wednesday supporters! Quickly moved off into the Town end and relative safety.....

Relative safety until they vaulted the fence into the town end and started kicking us as I recall.

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 10 Oct 2016 12:43

Norfolk Royal
dean horrix legend

Relative safety until they vaulted the fence into the town end and started kicking us as I recall.

Indeed, it wasn't pleasant

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 11 Oct 2016 16:18

Re Sheff Weds – December night match? Snow-dusted terraces. 1979, season after the Div 4 championship season.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 11 Oct 2016 22:49

I fingered an ex girlfriend in the central reservation of the dual carriageway near Molineux quite a few years back. Found out a year or two later that some homeless guy had been lying dead in the same place (ish) whilst we were there.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Oct 2016 13:22

Super Kevin Bremner! I fingered an ex girlfriend in the central reservation

Never heard it called that before!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Oct 2016 15:06

Lenny The Tramp Re Sheff Weds – December night match? Snow-dusted terraces. 1979, season after the Div 4 championship season.

No not that one, this was an afternoon game around 1976/7.

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 12 Oct 2016 16:08

Oh (re Sheff Weds).

Shame about the homeless person (previous post). Where was the famous Wolves subway army. And, bearing in mind she was an ex, that's a pretty generous put out.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Oct 2016 19:32

floyd__streete A thread for recounting, if you will, unusual happenings which you witnessed en route to football which were utterly unconnected with football itself.

I can recall my dad driving his mate, my brother and I to a game at EP one Boxing Day and as we crossed the railway bridge on the Tilehurst Road just before Western Elms Avenue the car in front of us a Robin Reliant lost control mounted the pavement crashed against the wall of the bridge and bounced back landing onto its roof. We helped the driver - a dazed and confused scrawny little middle aged man - out of the vehicle before pushing it back the right way up and driving on our way to enjoy a heartening afternoon of festive soccer at the former home of the Royals. Those were the days eh......you rarely see a Robin Reliant any more. Sadly the crash was a good metaphor for the season as the Royals were relegated by May.

Same thing happened to me many years ago on the A30 in Sunningdale. Some old bloke bounced off the curb in his and we rolled it back over, he was fine and off he set again.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Oct 2016 19:50

Lenny The Tramp
bearing in mind she was an ex, that's a pretty generous put out.

Guess he thought she was still centrally reserved.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 13 Oct 2016 18:29

I remember both of those Sheff Wed games. The Saturday one, walking up the road that runs parallel with Wantage Road, noticing loads of blue and white and then clocking the accents. Don't recall the game at all. The evening game was a few days before Wednesday were due to play Sheff U and they were singing about the "Valentine's Day Massacre" (which I think it was). I seem to remember that Wednesday got their first away win for absolutely ages that night.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 13 Oct 2016 21:29

East Grinstead Royal I remember both of those Sheff Wed games. The Saturday one, walking up the road that runs parallel with Wantage Road, noticing loads of blue and white and then clocking the accents. Don't recall the game at all. The evening game was a few days before Wednesday were due to play Sheff U and they were singing about the "Valentine's Day Massacre" (which I think it was). I seem to remember that Wednesday got their first away win for absolutely ages that night.

Boxing Day Massacre 1979, Hillsborough, 4-0 to Wednesday, it is written in to Sheffield folklore. 49,000 watching a Division 3 match. The only consolation for the Blades was they claim to have won off the pitch that day!

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 14 Oct 2016 10:41

on my way back (so not quite on the way to but I'm not going to let that get in the way of an anecdote) from the game when Reading played Bristol City in 2002 at Ashton Gate. popped into a pub only to be immediately accosted by a radio journalist asking for my reaction to the death of the dear old queen mum. Accompanying companions mumbled into their pints but I turned up the sentimentality factor by referring to her as the 'nations grandmother'... half an hour later I got a couple of calls from friends asking why my voice was booming over the airwaves of radio Bristol as the lead reaction to 'Bristol reacts to the death of the Queen Mother'.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 14 Oct 2016 13:08

Mr Optimist
East Grinstead Royal I remember both of those Sheff Wed games. The Saturday one, walking up the road that runs parallel with Wantage Road, noticing loads of blue and white and then clocking the accents. Don't recall the game at all. The evening game was a few days before Wednesday were due to play Sheff U and they were singing about the "Valentine's Day Massacre" (which I think it was). I seem to remember that Wednesday got their first away win for absolutely ages that night.

Boxing Day Massacre 1979, Hillsborough, 4-0 to Wednesday, it is written in to Sheffield folklore. 49,000 watching a Division 3 match. The only consolation for the Blades was they claim to have won off the pitch that day!

Thank you, Mr O, of course it was!

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 14 Oct 2016 13:11

Only one Trevor Morley on my way back (so not quite on the way to but I'm not going to let that get in the way of an anecdote) from the game when Reading played Bristol City in 2002 at Ashton Gate. popped into a pub only to be immediately accosted by a radio journalist asking for my reaction to the death of the dear old queen mum. Accompanying companions mumbled into their pints but I turned up the sentimentality factor by referring to her as the 'nations grandmother'... half an hour later I got a couple of calls from friends asking why my voice was booming over the airwaves of radio Bristol as the lead reaction to 'Bristol reacts to the death of the Queen Mother'.

I was at that one as well. 3-3, was it? I remember listening to Radio Bristol's post-match phone-in which was immediately taken off the air (and replaced by OTM, apparently!).

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 14 Oct 2016 14:49

East Grinstead Royal
I was at that one as well. 3-3, was it? I remember listening to Radio Bristol's post-match phone-in which was immediately taken off the air (and replaced by OTM, apparently!).

Yes from what I remember 5 goals in the first 15 mins and we were two up after 5 mins. Apologies if my rentaquote gibberings spoilt your post match radio enjoyment

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2016 16:15

Only one Trevor Morley
East Grinstead Royal

Yes from what I remember 5 goals in the first 15 mins and we were two up after 5 mins. Apologies if my rentaquote gibberings spoilt your post match radio enjoyment

Crazy game. I think we were leading 3-1 after just 10 minutes. Then they pulled another back on 15 and we all thought this is going to end up 15-15 or something but it all petered out into a rather drab affair with City winning the 2nd half 1-0

Was it that game where one of the Bristol City players picked up that horrendous leg injury or was that the 4-0 stuffing they gave out to us a season or two earlier/later?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Oct 2016 12:08

I used to love Simon Jordan - but he was a friend of another friend of ours and did the dirty on him. After a game where we played Palace at home, I was crossing at the lights of the A33 over to our parking at Hewlett Packard and who should have to stop at the lights but Simon Jordan - so all the way across the road I gestured obscene hand signs at him and mouthed "this is for xxxxxx" - classy bird me. Our mate loved it when we told him and called me a legend though. And we beat Palace that day too.