The King of Thailand

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The King of Thailand

by SCIAG » 18 Oct 2016 11:07

I'm not fond of public grief generally but I will be supportive anyway.

I'm sure the Thais found the week's national mourning for David Bowie very strange, but I'm very glad they didn't feel the need to announce that they didn't care about some glam rocker.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Oct 2016 11:46

"I'm so indifferent about this it is infuriating"

The Brighton and Hove Albion school of thought.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Oct 2016 12:09

It may well be sentimental but is it really that taxing for people to be a decent human being for one minute of their lives?

It's not like it's a minute silence for Jimmy Savile.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2016 12:37

Royal Ginger It's culturally important to the people who own the club, they do things differently. They're using what they have to demonstrate their profound sorrow, we the fans are just tools. The club is their thing, I'm a guest in their stadium so will be respectful.

Is the correct answer. I wouldn't organise something similar if I owned a club in Thailand, but if I did, I'd expect people to roll their eyes, but show some respect and observe it. It, silly, but It hurts no one and obviously means something to others.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Oct 2016 12:38

genome When* the Queen dies this country will inevitably have an outpouring of grief. It's probably on the same level for the Thais. I've no problem with it.

You could always mourn Denny Fulbrook, or that poor lad who died of cancer the other week, if it suits you better

Sometimes I feel people go actively looking for things to complain about

When did Denny die? He and his wife were in the Monks on Thursday.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Oct 2016 12:52

Stranded
genome When* the Queen dies this country will inevitably have an outpouring of grief. It's probably on the same level for the Thais. I've no problem with it.

You could always mourn Denny Fulbrook, or that poor lad who died of cancer the other week, if it suits you better

From the STAR website http://star-reading.org/

"We were much saddened to hear, during the course of our Board meeting last Thursday, of the passing of Denny Fullbrook, aged 80. A life member of STAR, Denny was a stalwart of the old Reading Football Supporters’ Club committee and for many years the travel organiser, very well-known to supporters old and young. He loved his football and his travel to grounds up and down the country. Even though unwell he continued his fantastic support for the club, home and away, right until his end.

Our thoughts are with Ann, his widow, and his family at the difficult time for them".

Personally, as suggested above, I shall be using the minute's silence for Denny's memory and also the young chap who recently passed away. One would hope the club would also make mention of both these parties tonight as well.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 18 Oct 2016 12:57

That young lad was my Son.
There were mutings of a minute applause for him in the 28th minute of tonights game.
That would be a huge gesture.
We his family are all going to be there tonight as we are every home game. We will reflect for a Minute on our wonderful Son's life, he was one of you, do it for him.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Oct 2016 13:08

SCIAG I'm sure the Thais found the week's national mourning for David Bowie very strange

:|

The difference being of course that this particular outpouring came about via social media and was in no way state sponsored, was it.

I agree with the opening post tbh, this is ostentatious nonsense from the owners. No surprises whatsoever though to see the usual Stockholm-syndrome suffering apologists stick up for the ownership.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Oct 2016 13:28

Sutekh
Stranded

From the STAR website http://star-reading.org/

"We were much saddened to hear, during the course of our Board meeting last Thursday, of the passing of Denny Fullbrook, aged 80. A life member of STAR, Denny was a stalwart of the old Reading Football Supporters’ Club committee and for many years the travel organiser, very well-known to supporters old and young. He loved his football and his travel to grounds up and down the country. Even though unwell he continued his fantastic support for the club, home and away, right until his end.

Our thoughts are with Ann, his widow, and his family at the difficult time for them".

Personally, as suggested above, I shall be using the minute's silence for Denny's memory and also the young chap who recently passed away. One would hope the club would also make mention of both these parties tonight as well.

Wow! Hadn't seen that. Said hello to them both and had a brief chat on Thursday evening.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Oct 2016 13:32

floyd__streete
SCIAG I'm sure the Thais found the week's national mourning for David Bowie very strange

The difference being of course that this particular outpouring came about via social media and was in no way state sponsored, was it.

There's every possibility that the Thais have some genuine affection for the old man, like some people in this country genuinely like the Queen and Jedward. Just because it's perplexing to me that other people get sad when a celebrity I don't care about dies doesn't mean I shouldn't respect their feelings, particularly after seeing people respect the deaths I care about, like Bowie.

I don't buy the "it's their club" argument. They own the club in the legal sense, but the club truly belongs to us. They're guests and should respect that. Of course, if they go buggering off when we refuse to do something then that's our loss, but legally owning the club doesn't give them the moral right to do whatever they want with it.

It's nonsense, but it means something to someone, so I'm not going to talk through any silence.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Oct 2016 13:49

floyd__streete

I agree with the opening post tbh, this is ostentatious nonsense from the owners. No surprises whatsoever though to see the usual Stockholm-syndrome suffering apologists stick up for the ownership.

There's a shock.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Oct 2016 17:19

Brosef Stalin Someones Mum FFS?
What have you got against mums?

I do kind of agree, We should hold a minutes silence only for those associated with the club (including the two examples I remember of loyal fans being killed travelling to/from games) and to an extent those associated with football plus of course Rememberance Day which is observed nationally and anything else of national significance such as the death of a monarch or major disaster/event.

9/11 was acceptable as the minutes silence was held on 9/11 hours after the attacks and it was still raw and affecting everyone there, Otherwise I don't even think that really should have had a place in football.

The death of a foreign monarch isn't really a reason for a silence, unless we happen to be playing a game in that country or the monarch was a regular attendee at matches. If it was the British Monarch then fair enough, we would afteral get at least one free day off work out of it so a dignified silence is the least we can do to show our thanks.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2016 18:18

SCIAG
floyd__streete

There's every possibility that the Thais have some genuine affection for the old man, like some people in this country genuinely like the Queen and Jedward. Just because it's perplexing to me that other people get sad when a celebrity I don't care about dies doesn't mean I shouldn't respect their feelings, particularly after seeing people respect the deaths I care about, like Bowie.

I don't buy the "it's their club" argument. They own the club in the legal sense, but the club truly belongs to us. They're guests and should respect that. Of course, if they go buggering off when we refuse to do something then that's our loss, but legally owning the club doesn't give them the moral right to do whatever they want with it.

It's nonsense, but it means something to someone, so I'm not going to talk through any silence.

Absolutely.

Do I think it's a bit weird? Yes. Would I do the same when the Queen died if I owned a Thai club? No.

But how on earth can anyone with a scrap of empathy and humanity get upset about this enough that they'd suggest ignoring (and presumably) disrupting a minute's silence for someone that means a lot to certain people. You'd surely have to be some sort of sociopath to take that approach. Disagree with the idea by all means, but show some oxf*rd respect.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Oct 2016 18:36

Ian Royal
SCIAG
floyd__streete

Absolutely.

Do I think it's a bit weird? Yes. Would I do the same when the Queen died if I owned a Thai club? No.

But how on earth can anyone with a scrap of empathy and humanity get upset about this enough that they'd suggest ignoring (and presumably) disrupting a minute's silence for someone that means a lot to certain people. You'd surely have to be some sort of sociopath to take that approach. Disagree with the idea by all means, but show some oxf*rd respect.

I'm not going to be there tonight.

However if I was, I'd wrap my tackle between my legs to make myself look like a woman and fire ping pong balls out of my arse.

Respectfully. Obviously.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Oct 2016 19:50

It's understandable that our Thai owners are pulling out all the stops to 'respect' their monarchy given that Thais who don't get chucked in prison for 30 years.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Oct 2016 20:08

P!ssed Off It's understandable that our Thai owners are pulling out all the stops to 'respect' their monarchy given that Thais who don't get chucked in prison for 30 years.

Which makes it all the more touching the spontaneous outpouring of grief.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Oct 2016 20:43

loyalroyaldaz

That young lad was my Son.
There were mutings of a minute applause for him in the 28th minute of tonights game.
That would be a huge gesture.
We his family are all going to be there tonight as we are every home game. We will reflect for a Minute on our wonderful Son's life, he was one of you, do it for him.

I'm so sorry for your loss Daz - thoughts are with you and your family. From what I hear, the minute's applause was very well observed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2016 20:45

Yeah, came across loud and clear on the radio. Hope it helped with your loss at least in some small way.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Oct 2016 20:47

floyd__streete I agree with the opening post tbh, this is ostentatious nonsense from the owners. No surprises whatsoever though to see the usual Stockholm-syndrome suffering apologists stick up for the ownership.

I know you're only trolling but it is at times like this I just want to tell you to lighten up you grumpy old twat.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Oct 2016 21:01

Good to see we're gifting a victory to a team bang out of form as a tribute to the king.