BFTG - Blackburn away

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Blackburn away

by PieEater » 17 Dec 2016 18:56

It's always good to get a last minute winner but really this game could have gone either way.

First half we started well and created some good opportunities and it looked like Blackburn were there for the taking. One great save from a McCleary shot, then some how we scored. A ball over the top to Samuel who took it wide and it looked to me like he'd hit the side netting and the adverts. Everyone else though the same as pretty well nobody celerbrated. The Blackburn video screen (pathetically) decided not to show the goal so I really dont know if it was a great shot or keeper error.

Then Blackburn came back into to it, Emnes hit the bar, Moore cleared off the line and from the resulting corner they scored a header from a palmed away save from AAH. Maybe a hint of offside?

We pressed again and Moore chested in Kelly's shot that came back of the bar. A couple of people got chucked out in the celebrations but at least we saw that goal.

Blackburn pressed again and AAH looked to have made a save that led to a corner, they were winning pretty well all headers and it was no surprise they scored but Gunts (I think) seemed to let the ball go under him. We pressed for the winner and were playing some nice stuff around the box, Beerens should have shot rather than passed - trying to walk it in. Them came the winner from a quick throw and Evans on the end of a cross.

Good games for AAH, Moore, McShane and McCleary. Pleased for Kelly, Blackett was poor.

Ewood was a decent ground, but oddly there's no clock. Not looking forward to a foggy journey back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Blackburn away

by Ian Royal » 17 Dec 2016 19:02

Watching the highlights, it looked like a clever finish from Samuel that caught the keeper by surprise. Rather than firing across him at the inside of the far post as you'd expect, he seemed to shape that way, but actually went for the near post with a little bend round the keeper. At least that's the impression I got on a first view anyway. Somewhat lucky he fooled the keeper... I think it was quite saveable if he'd been wise to it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Dec 2016 21:03

PieEater
Ewood was a decent ground, but oddly there's no clock.

Was behind you. :lol:

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 17 Dec 2016 22:07

Good fun today. Agree it could have gone either way but I guess it's very promising that it's gone our way again.

Al-Habsi - 6 - not too much to report here

Gunter - 6 - again, pretty steady from Gunter. Good throw-in for the third goal
Moore - 8 - oozes class. Good effort for his goal
McShane - 6 - steady once again
Blackett - 5 - looked a little shaky at times but still learning

Evans - 8 - certainly an unsung hero of this team
Van den Berg - 6 - put himself about but not too much effect
Kelly - 8 - fantastic second half
McCleary - 8 - our main outlet and looked dangerous
Beerens - 6 - got a lot of the ball first half. Could have scored in the second half but passed instead

Samuel - 7 - well taken goal, not much to report otherwise. Goal was very strange with no one celebrating as it really didn't look like it went in

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Dec 2016 00:00

arthurfondrelli Goal was very strange with no one celebrating as it really didn't look like it went in

The whole ground went dead quiet. Appeared if the ball had hit the side netting and rolled back from where I was watching. Even some of the Reading players looked surprised.

Really enjoyable to see a team come together. Under a manager who wants to play a different style of football. Every so often there's glimpses of what's to come.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 18 Dec 2016 08:11

from the replay for Samuel's goal, the pass from G-Mac was sublime. It was a reverse pass, not over the top.

Listening to Dellor and Gooding, Blackburn sounded like a one trick pony, and their only main outlet seemed to be from set pieces. Not sure if the same was saw at the ground?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Dec 2016 09:33

Mike Hunt
Listening to Dellor and Gooding, Blackburn sounded like a one trick pony, and their only main outlet seemed to be from set pieces. Not sure if the same was saw at the ground?

As was the case at Rotherham. Aerial assault is a weakness.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Dec 2016 09:33

Lower West
Mike Hunt

As was the case at Rotherham. Aerial assault is a noticeable weakness.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 18 Dec 2016 09:42

I owe Kelly an apology after Leeds, showed why he deserved his starting place and really took control of the game. MOTM for me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Dec 2016 11:21

Lower West
PieEater

Oh no it isn't....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2016 13:20

PieEater It's always good to get a last minute winner but really this game could have gone either way.

First half we started well and created some good opportunities and it looked like Blackburn were there for the taking. One great save from a McCleary shot, then some how we scored. A ball over the top to Samuel who took it wide and it looked to me like he'd hit the side netting and the adverts. Everyone else though the same as pretty well nobody celerbrated. The Blackburn video screen (pathetically) decided not to show the goal so I really dont know if it was a great shot or keeper error.

Then Blackburn came back into to it, Emnes hit the bar, Moore cleared off the line and from the resulting corner they scored a header from a palmed away save from AAH. Maybe a hint of offside?

We pressed again and Moore chested in Kelly's shot that came back of the bar. A couple of people got chucked out in the celebrations but at least we saw that goal.

Blackburn pressed again and AAH looked to have made a save that led to a corner, they were winning pretty well all headers and it was no surprise they scored but Gunts (I think) seemed to let the ball go under him. We pressed for the winner and were playing some nice stuff around the box, Beerens should have shot rather than passed - trying to walk it in. Them came the winner from a quick throw and Evans on the end of a cross.

Good games for AAH, Moore, McShane and McCleary. Pleased for Kelly, Blackett was poor.

Ewood was a decent ground, but oddly there's no clock. Not looking forward to a foggy journey back.

Much as many like to make the 'useless - adds nothing' Gunter the scapegoat for all things bad, it didn't look like it was him on the post when they scored - the player looked much shorter and with darker hair, so maybe Kelly? Whoever, it was, didn't really do what they are put into that position to do and it did look like they lifted their leg up to let the ball under!

BBC Berks commentary team were convinced that AAH had not saved the initial effort (they said that replays suggested the ball came off the post ; therefore it shouldn't have been a corner. However, you can be pretty sure that Jaap won't have been impressed with our defending from set pieces yesterday.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Dec 2016 14:40

Sutekh
Lower West
PieEater

Oh no it isn't....

Oh yes it is.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2016 15:54

RoyalBlue
PieEater It's always good to get a last minute winner but really this game could have gone either way.

Much as many like to make the 'useless - adds nothing' Gunter the scapegoat for all things bad, it didn't look like it was him on the post when they scored - the player looked much shorter and with darker hair, so maybe Kelly? Whoever, it was, didn't really do what they are put into that position to do and it did look like they lifted their leg up to let the ball under!

BBC Berks commentary team were convinced that AAH had not saved the initial effort (they said that replays suggested the ball came off the post ; therefore it shouldn't have been a corner. However, you can be pretty sure that Jaap won't have been impressed with our defending from set pieces yesterday.

First goal, Gunter fails to pick up Graham in the scramble, who heads in under no pressure.
Second goal, Kermorgant steps away from the post and fails to keep it out.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Dec 2016 16:28

RoyalBlue

Not sure who it was on the line but they are there to stop exactly that short of ball, and failed dismally.

For the corner before their goal, the video screen showed 2 or 3 replays of it and I was convinced from that it was a save - but thought it would of hit the post or gone wide.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2016 18:32

Yes, Kelly exempt from blame. It was Kermorgant supposedly guarding the post - but WTF was he designated that duty when he is our best player in the air against opponents whether that be attacking or defending?! :shock:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2016 19:45

RoyalBlue Yes, Kelly exempt from blame. It was Kermorgant supposedly guarding the post - but WTF was he designated that duty when he is our best player in the air against opponents whether that be attacking or defending?! :shock:

Good at defending, good with his feet, put him somewhere that could require both?

Just imagining. I don't really know tbh.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2016 20:08

CountryRoyal
RoyalBlue Yes, Kelly exempt from blame. It was Kermorgant supposedly guarding the post - but WTF was he designated that duty when he is our best player in the air against opponents whether that be attacking or defending?! :shock:

Good at defending, good with his feet, put him somewhere that could require both?

Not the best use of his abilities IMO, far better to have him marking an attacker and clearing before the ball gets anywhere near the post!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2016 20:27

RoyalBlue
CountryRoyal

Not the best use of his abilities IMO, far better to have him marking an attacker and clearing before the ball gets anywhere near the post!

Yeah I'd probably agree just trying to see a different viewpoint/hypothesise

I do believe though that's it just one of those things and it might not have mattered who was on the post. It shouldn't, it did, it didn't influence the outcome, we move on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2016 20:47

Wasn't it from a string of attacks and corners? Might just be that Blackburn were taking it quickly and he was best placed to pick up the position on the post rather than who normally does it.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Dec 2016 23:28

Kermorgant is coming to town...