Stam Interview on BBCRB

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stam Interview on BBCRB

by genome » 13 Jan 2017 09:46

Full transcript

Stam: 'The owners are still the Thai people, I don't know what's going to happen with the Chinese people. Everyone is asking me questions and to be fair I don't know what's going to happen, or if there's going to be more transfers.'

TD: Does it annoy you?

Stam: 'To be fair it does, because you need to have clarity and a certain structure within the club so then you know what can happen. It's important for the team, the players read the speculation, you guys ask me questions, I'm willing to answer them but it annoys me there's no news'

TD: Do you want the takeover to happen?

'It's not up to me. For me, and for what I thought was going to happen when I joined Reading was to build a team and take steps towards the Premier League. With the club for sale, you don't know what the new owners want to do. The old owners want to sell the club so I don't know if we can still build the team for next season, or the season after.

I told them I'm the type of manager that builds a team and works towards something. There needs to be structure within the club, the owners and the team need to have a certain vision. I don't know if that's there at the moment but we need to see wait and see what happens.'

TD: Might you be tempted away?

Stam: 'I like the fans, like the club, like the players and I'm enjoying my time here. It's good for the manager to know what's going to happen with the club in the future but if that's not the case then who knows what's going to happen.'

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2017 10:22

agree with all his points, just the timing of them maybe not so good after a defeat

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 13 Jan 2017 10:54

Welcome to being a Championship manager Jap. As Mick said last week as long as you are paid-it doesn't matter who owns the Club.

The one provisio for the Manager with the current situation is that he gets what he asks for in terms of transfer budget-so far £2mill on Iliori seems to confirm he has-plus one hopes another £2mill on a forward.

If he was expecting say a £10 mill transfer budget -then he has been badly advised.

Despite last night everything must be done to keep him. But equally he needs to commit to a 2 year plan & then if he succeeds an opportunity to move up the greasy Manager pole will come along.

A move to say a Leeds or Swansea or Palace type job in the current climate -would be plain stupid of him.

pwb

by pwb » 13 Jan 2017 11:02

There must be Something strange going on behind the scenes? because if there wasn't, then Tiago Ilori would have been confirm at the beginning of the week and also would have started last night!

I believe that was part of Stam's frustrations last night, he didn't have Tiago as an option.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 13 Jan 2017 11:15

I'm surprised at the criticism of Stam.

We saw in the previous seasons how boardroom uncertainty can affect the squad - its got to. Right now, if Stam doesn't know who will be here or what the plan is, then none of the players know either.

Anyone who thinks we have "one set of transfer targets if the Thais stay".. is deluded. Listen to Stam - they want out, along with the clubs' land. They obviously have no money. If we are not taken over, its more likely to be Zingarevich all over again.

And "about to spend £2m on a defender"? According to Getreading it is £500k per season for 4 years and it looks suspiciously likely to me we can't (or won't) find the first payment. Why have Liverpool announced his sale and not us?

pwb There must be Something strange going on behind the scenes? because if there wasn't, then Tiago Ilori would have been confirm at the beginning of the week and also would have started last night!

I believe that was part of Stam's frustrations last night, he didn't have Tiago as an option.

Totally agree - makeshift defence with the ownership shambles keeping your replacement sat in the stands. Remember Stam chose to send McShane for surgery - no doubt he presumed Illori would be available.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jan 2017 12:01

To be fair to Stam regarding him leaving, if that's the full transcript, that was a pretty loaded question from Dellor. I thought his answer was a pretty decent deflection in the circumstances.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Jan 2017 12:10

From Despair To Where? To be fair to Stam regarding him leaving, if that's the full transcript, that was a pretty loaded question from Dellor.

There's a surprise, perhaps Dim was hoping for a Rodgers style meltdown so he can pretend to be a journalist again

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Jan 2017 12:44

Heard from a reliable source that Stam will be off at the end of the month if he doesn't get the transfer budget he wants.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jan 2017 12:52

Don't think there's much wrong with the answers to those questions given the circumstances.

He does need to buck his ideas up with team selection in a couple of places. But we're fricking third. As long as we don't nosedive he can say what he wants.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 Jan 2017 12:56

pwb There must be Something strange going on behind the scenes? because if there wasn't, then Tiago Ilori would have been confirm at the beginning of the week and also would have started last night!

Tiago has not played a competitive game since Jan 2016, he would not have been an option last night or for at least the next month.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 13 Jan 2017 12:59

Ian Royal Don't think there's much wrong with the answers to those questions given the circumstances.

He does need to buck his ideas up with team selection in a couple of places. But we're fricking third. As long as we don't nosedive he can say what he wants.

I agree, within reason even if we dont make the play offs and are mid table come the end of the season tbh that will be a success, anymore is a bonus.
Jaap has always said that from the start this was not meant to be a promotion year, If we find a young striker and integrate him in to the team for next year I feel we stand a better chance. Hopefully by then our owner situation will be clarified, we will have a good squad and hopefully a good manager if we keep Jaap. I think that Jaap may also be aware that new owners make stupid decisions look at Gary Rowett and he is very aware that it may not be his decision whether he stays or not.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 13 Jan 2017 13:02

Probably the Thais aren't willing to pay anymore to the club so unless the Chinese have made an advance of £2M or so then maybe that is the holdup.

Apparently we are suffering because of the chance of us getting promoted this year. According to Tim Dellor's sources, the Prem have got involved with the due diligence procedure. They refused the Chinese permission to buy Hull only a few months ago so hence the delay. The FL sound quite happy for it to go through though.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 13 Jan 2017 13:10

Z175
We saw in the previous seasons how boardroom uncertainty can affect the squad - its got to.

Not according to Adie it doesn't. I made that point to him today referring to Steve Coppell's quote of a month ago but he wouldn't have it! Said we had been on a great run and were in brilliant form!

I can't agree two defeats on the trot with poor play and a frustrated manager dropping tenuous hints he is prepared to leave the club. It has to affect the players.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2017 13:13

CholseyRoyal

Probably the Thais aren't willing to pay anymore to the club so unless the Chinese have made an advance of £2M or so then maybe that is the holdup.

Apparently we are suffering because of the chance of us getting promoted this year. According to Tim Dellor's sources, the Prem have got involved with the due diligence procedure. They refused the Chinese permission to buy Hull only a few months ago so hence the delay. The FL sound quite happy for it to go through though.

And this is what is so frustrating. If Reading were, say, 16th in the table would the PL give a flying one about the take over? Presuming not and with the FL happy with things then the Chinese would probably already be in. So what happens next season if Reading are nailed on for promotion? Do the PL then start another FPP test and if they do what happens if the owners fail - or do they just turn a blind eye as the owners are already in situ.

Overall it all points to a completely ridiculous situation if both PL and FL have different FPP criteria.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2017 13:19

sandman Heard from a reliable source that Stam will be off at the end of the month if he doesn't get the transfer budget he wants.

Guess we'll see on this one, is always funny how there is a reliable source always willing to release negative news. He may well walk but not sure what that would acheive for him - would potentially dent his reputation. Would make more sense for him to see the season through and if things aren't what they seemed, he can walk away then with reputation intact or even enhanced.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Jan 2017 13:36

Chinese failed the fit and proper person's test but it was more to do with the presentation of their documents than their actual finances. An appeal is ongoing but it's taking time as Nigel Howe is out of the country.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Jan 2017 13:37

Royal Ginger Chinese failed the fit and proper person's test but it was more to do with the presentation of their documents than their actual finances. An appeal is ongoing but it's taking time as Nigel Howe is out of the country.

:?:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jan 2017 13:52

Jackson Corner Just looking for excuses after a clueless performance. Good ridance the sooner we get Mcdermot back the better.

Not sure to laugh or be appalled by that statement....

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jan 2017 14:04

Laugh

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Jan 2017 14:13

I like Stam but I have to say that I have been to 11 games this season and I honestly wonder how on earth we have got to third place in the league. Last Sunday morning I watched Fulham at Cardiff and they are where I would love us to be in terms of playing football. Possession football with purpose, especially around the oppositions penalty area.

I have seen so many games where we control possesion in our own half but the other side looks much more threatening and then by hook or by crook we manage to score a goal and go on to win th game. I enjoy the win but leave wondering how we have managed to do so.

Hopefully, Stam will be given the time and the budget but if he leaves I won't get too upset.

I have watched Maidenhead a couple of times this season and have left the games feeling thoroughly entertained.