BFTG - Cardiff

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by sandman » 29 Jan 2017 00:40

sloughroyal123
Royal Ginger
sloughroyal123 When does Rakels get back?

Dunno, why don't you ask him?

This is why no one likes you

It's the Team Board, no one likes anyone.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 29 Jan 2017 01:54

That was a strange game. We started with no left back and finished with two of them! I didn't think we played well at all apart from some individual moments of brilliance (Macca's back heel for our first goal and Kermie's free kick for our second). Swift is way off the standard he set before his injury when he bossed games and pulled the strings. He was rightly subbed for Evans. I hope he can return to form because he is an important player for us.

Williams failed to capitalise on what looked like a great chance but, looking at the highlights, I reckon the ball came to him at an awkward angle so he was not able to take a first-time shot. Beerens missed another golden opportunity, when he was (almost) completely free on goal, by stopping and claiming a handball which, as shown on play-back, never was. And McShane, uncharacteristically, also missed with an uncontested header in front of their goal. So we should have been more comfortable before the last 5 - 10 minutes when we abandoned our possession football to hoof the ball anywhere in a (successful thank God) attempt to hold onto our one goal lead.

In the end it was a welcome three points for us but we did not look convincing at all. Cardiff were well-organised at the back but pretty poor. Colin provided some entertainment as usual from the technical area. And we were the first game on the Football League Show (or whatever it is called now!). They picked out McCleary as MOTM and they were probably right but we were not as effective as we were against Fulham last Tuesday nor did we look as sharp or committed to the cause.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2017 07:20

I thought we managed to do a good job overall, and considering the pitch wasn't fantastic (though not terrible) and the Cardiff tactics, very pleased to get the 3 points

Sometimes with 'footballing' teams you think they may crumble against physical sides like Cardiff, but we more than held our own. Think that's one area Stam deserves significant praise - the likes of Blackett, Moore and McShane can both play a bit as well as mix it.

MOM for me was McShane who I think is a hugely important part of this side. Also thoughtWilliams had a decent game, and got stuck in a bit more than usual. Gunter similar.

Very good win anyway

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 29 Jan 2017 07:24

Great win. Same points tally now as we finished with last year. I'd be delighted with some play off action regardless of the outcome. Long may this continue!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 29 Jan 2017 07:47

Westwood52 weak in weak out

That's a bit harsh. We won.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 29 Jan 2017 09:28

We win but strangely only seemed assured in the couple of minutes after they scored and before the half-time whistle was blown. For most of the game were a bit scrappy, so it was other qualities that were needed for the win and for example, Kelly, Beerens and Kermogant all put in great tackles at times and the whole team showed some defensive steel.

It wasn't a penalty.

AAH 7 All his strengths and weaknesses on display.

Gunter 8 Like a Rolls Royce in this division
Moore 7 Not quite at peak form
McShane 8 I find him really reassuring
VDB 7 One lovely pass and we missed him when he went off
Beerens 7 Was he left back? I really have no clue what system we started with.

Swift 6 Needs to do the simple things better at times, but there is so much potential
Kelly 7 I was expecting great things, having missed Tuesday
Wiliams 8 So crucial to how we play

McCleary 9 The pass for the goal was brilliant
Kermogant 7 Barely figured as a striker apart from the goal, but must have bee knackered at the end

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2017 10:13

Against a big, physical Cardiff team hoofing the ball forwards, I thought Kermorgant was as important to us as a defender as he was a striker. Time and time again he got his head on the ball to clear dangerous situations from our area.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 10:19

Jack Celliers We win but strangely only seemed assured in the couple of minutes after they scored and before the half-time whistle was blown. For most of the game were a bit scrappy, so it was other qualities that were needed for the win and for example, Kelly, Beerens and Kermogant all put in great tackles at times and the whole team showed some defensive steel.

It wasn't a penalty.

AAH 7 All his strengths and weaknesses on display.

Gunter 8 Like a Rolls Royce in this division
Moore 7 Not quite at peak form
McShane 8 I find him really reassuring
VDB 7 One lovely pass and we missed him when he went off
Beerens 7 Was he left back? I really have no clue what system we started with.

Swift 6 Needs to do the simple things better at times, but there is so much potential
Kelly 7 I was expecting great things, having missed Tuesday
Wiliams 8 So crucial to how we play

McCleary 9 The pass for the goal was brilliant
Kermogant 7 Barely figured as a striker apart from the goal, but must have bee knackered at the end

Lol Gunter, your 'Rolls Royce', was left (wing) back for most of the game.

Shape was

............................... Al-Habsi
.............. McShane.. Moore.. JVDB
McCleary.......................................... Gunter
........... Kelly.. Williams.. Swift
...................Beerens.. Kermorgant

With Beerens swapping with McCleary after 20 - 30 minutes. When Obita came on Gunter switched back over to the right.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Jan 2017 10:45

It's been a very strange season. We don't look a team that should be 3rd in the league.

We always look vulnerable at the back like we could concede goals. And we don't create lots of chances up front to put games out of sight and guarantee the points. We just get the odd chance here and there and score. We don't look like we totally overpower teams like Coppell's side always did.

But the stats don't lie. We are a top 3 side.

I guess it's a bit like when Pardew was in charge. We weren't overpowering teams. But we had a way of getting wins on the board. Somehow it just seems to work out for us.

This was another game that we edged, but in truth it could have gone either way, like many of our games this season.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jan 2017 10:46

Top Flight It's been a very strange season. We don't look a team that should be 3rd in the league.

We always look vulnerable at the back like we could concede goals. And we don't create lots of chances up front to put games out of sight and guarantee the points. We just get the odd chance here and there and score. We don't look like we totally overpower teams like Coppell's side always did.

I guess it's a bit like when Pardew was in charge. We weren't overpowering teams. But we had a way of getting wins on the board. Somehow it just seems to work out for us.

This was another game that we edged, but in truth it could have gone either way, like many of our games this season.

Just imagine how could it will be when we do click and look good!!!!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2017 11:08

Was thinking a bit during the game is that we don't get many 'half-chances'. Either seem to be creating little or very good chances which when on form we score more often than not

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Jan 2017 11:17

paultheroyal
Top Flight It's been a very strange season. We don't look a team that should be 3rd in the league.

Just imagine how could it will be when we do click and look good!!!!

...if we've managed to pick up ___ points from ___ games during a period when, by our own admission, we haven't been playing that well, just imagine what we can do when we do hit form!

(c) Ian Branfoot 1988.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Jan 2017 11:23

Vulnerable at the back doesn't really cover it

We look like we will concede every team our opponents attack.
That last twenty odd minutes really dragged. Kept breathing a sigh of relief at yet another near miss

I don't think we look secure unless we have 4 at the back with a defensive midfielder in front of them, VDB or Evans have done it well. But Stam wants to play with 3 and use the full backs in a more attacking way. It does seem to be giving us more opportunities to score but we are weaker in defence IMO

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jan 2017 11:25

Agree 100% with this.

This season is reminding me of when we last got promoted. West Ham and Southampton had pulled right away from the chasing pack and we managed to keep winning games, mainly due to having a great team spirit. Lets hope for a Jason Roberts type signing before the window closes.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jan 2017 11:28

On the other hand our opponents actually create very few real chances either.
They tend to resort to desperate long range shots because as soon as they get near the area McShane and Moore are right there on top of them.
Al Habsi hardly made a save yesterday, Cardiff had a lot of shots but if the goal had been twice as wide it wouldn't have increased their 'on target' stats by much.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Jan 2017 11:32

Although the one that hit the post might have influenced the scoreline somewhat .

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jan 2017 11:39

That was about being tough and winning ugly which is what good teams do. Thought swift was dire. Gunts did decently. Kelly, Kermorgant and Al-Habsi stand out performers.

Shout out to the Cardiff fans, were in good voice and looked like they were having a laugh.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jan 2017 12:01

marlowuk Beerens missed another golden opportunity, when he was (almost) completely free on goal, by stopping and claiming a handball which, as shown on play-back, never was..

Replay showed that it definitely was! Despite what the commentator said, the ball clearly hits Morrison's fist - you can see it change trajectory.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Jan 2017 12:01

I didn't think the Ch 5 highlights did us justice yesterday. Where we are very lacking at the moment is on the counter attack. The last couple of games we've had a least 2-3 decent breaks and our decision making/composure/final ball have been really poor. If we put those away then we will be much more comfortable at the end of games.

Agree with a previous comment. While it felt quite backs to the wall for the last 10-15 minutes, they created few clear cut chances. When balls are being launched long into the box, McShane comes into his own and Moore is very solid too. Add in Kermogant's heading abilities then we look much more robust than the past couple of seasons.

Other than the free kick I can't remember AAH making nay saves of note; the one that hit the post took a sizeable deflection off McShane - otherwise it would have gone straight to AAH.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 13:35

Hound Was thinking a bit during the game is that we don't get many 'half-chances'. Either seem to be creating little or very good chances which when on form we score more often than not

This, and the stats tend to support it. 14th for total shots, 10th for shots on target, 20th for shots off target and 6th for goals scored.