Programme this season

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wallington Royal

Programme this season

by Wallington Royal » 21 May 2017 19:33

I buy a programme at all games I attend and have done since I started going to football in 1975 as I like to collect them as souvenir to the games I have been to and for information during a game on opposing players. I have to say our programme has been really bad this season when you compare to other teams in out league. The font is so big is it for children and the older generation. This season it's like living in the past, still going on about when we were last in the premiership 10 years ago. How many pages were taken up by these articales too many in my opinion... As for the away teams section this is really embarrassing no words on any of their current players. All we get is their kits home and away over the years, along with previous players that had played for the club. (Also why do we never announce the away teams after 2:30) There has been nothing on our current players all season. I know I could do not better as my English is appalling but I do like a good read of a match day programme but I find our well short in content as has been getting worse over the last few seasons. Hopefully next season it will improve.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Programme this season

by Elm Park Kid » 22 May 2017 08:58

There have been a few comments among my mates that the programmes now are basically 'clip shows' of older programmes - really they should have to show the percentage of 'new material' on the front cover :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 May 2017 09:05

Take your feedback to the club so they have a chance to respond and - hopefully - change things.

Anyone got an idea as to programme sales over this and previous seasons?

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 22 May 2017 09:13

The thing that I don't like is that they seem incapable (or too lazy) to provide an index. It appears we are one of the few clubs who find this too difficult

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 22 May 2017 09:30

When at a home game, I like to read about the opposition team. In the past they used to give pen-pictures of the opposing players. So, if I see someone do something good or bad, I want to read about them.

Also, as everyone else has said, it does annoy me when they clog up the middle of the programme with stuff written ten or more years ago

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 22 May 2017 12:13

Hampshire Royal When at a home game, I like to read about the opposition team. In the past they used to give pen-pictures of the opposing players. So, if I see someone do something good or bad, I want to read about them.

Also, as everyone else has said, it does annoy me when they clog up the middle of the programme with stuff written ten or more years ago

The lack of information about the opposition and fact that you can read most of the articles on the OS led me to stop buying programmes a while back. Prior to that I had bought one every time. I did email the editor a year or so ago complaining that the programme had gone downhill over the last few years but I just got the usual bland "we are always intersted in customer feedback" reply.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 23 May 2017 12:50

As an exile it's sad to hear that the programme has gone downhill in recent times. However, even when they did publish proper pen pictures of the opposition, they often got it wrong. Here's a couple of examples:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhE5yHsIfVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlW9Gu3WOnA

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 23 May 2017 13:07

Heartily agree with the OP.

The programme used to be quite good about ten years ago.
Now it is absolute shite.
Incoherent, repetitive, going on too much about past seasons, not enough prominence for the visiting team.
A football programme should have the date and the opposition presented clear and large on the front cover. Now, you need a flipping magnifying glass to see who we're playing.
The editing is atrocious. Misspellings, poor grammar, nonsensical sentences, repetition.

Now, my English is excellent, as are my editing skills.
Please give me the job.

(Hats off to the first nobber to find an English mistake in this.) :?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 May 2017 13:15

Half Biscuit Heartily agree with the OP.

Incoherent, repetitive, going on too much about past seasons, not enough prominence for the visiting team.
A football programme should have the date and the opposition presented clear and large on the front cover. Now, you need a flipping magnifying glass to see who we're playing.
The editing is atrocious. Misspellings, poor grammar, nonsensical sentences, repetition.

Please give me the job.

Shouldn't it be the opposition presented clearly and in large print on the front cover

OR
the opposition clear and large on the front cover
:mrgreen:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 May 2017 13:24

All programmes seem to be a bit shit now. Victims of the immediacy of the net?

Anyway, I'm still gutted that Mick Hayloft never signed my programme.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 23 May 2017 13:26

muirinho
Half Biscuit Heartily agree with the OP.

Please give me the job.

Shouldn't it be the opposition presented clearly and in large print on the front cover

OR
the opposition clear and large on the front cover
:mrgreen:

Merit mark :D

mheholt

by mheholt » 23 May 2017 13:51

I live in London so I like to read the programme on the train back to Paddington if we have won. Can't bear to look at it is we've lost.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 23 May 2017 14:00

Probably not a massive surprise when it is largely written by someone they pay just £17k a year to who has to create the majority of content for all platforms and probably majored in video production or something similarly non-writing based at uni.

Definitely not one of the staffing areas the club are willing to invest in as I've found to my personal disadvantage in the past.

I've only bought one this season - Fulham the other day to match my Fulham away from the first leg - and haven't had a chance to look through it yet. The last one I bought before that was the Palace cup game last season and on a random note I'm still trying to find out why there was a full page advert for Eurocake when it cannot to my knowledge be bought here and programme readers will only be local.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 May 2017 17:56

Kingsley Junior I'm still trying to find out why there was a full page advert for Eurocake when it cannot to my knowledge be bought here and programme readers will only be local.

Football adverts can be baffling. I wonder how many fans have been lured into impulsively buying a girder or two after seeing a Rainham Steel advert behind a goal?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 May 2017 18:00

I think half of the problem with the programme is that it's too thick. It's seems like they decided it needed to be 84 pages without thinking whether they had enough to fill those pages.

Trim it down to 50-60 pages, cut out the fluff written to fill it out, and knock the price down.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 23 May 2017 19:59

tmesis I think half of the problem with the programme is that it's too thick. It's seems like they decided it needed to be 84 pages without thinking whether they had enough to fill those pages.

Trim it down to 50-60 pages, cut out the fluff written to fill it out, and knock the price down.

I still have programmes from the 1970's which are only 16 pages and all the better for it including pen pictures of the opposition players and better still they only cost 10p

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 May 2017 09:46

From Despair To Where? All programmes seem to be a bit shit now. Victims of the immediacy of the net?.

That's all it is. I was close to a few members of the media team a few years ago and video/social content is all that matters these days. Back in the day the programme was their sole concern so the digital age has taken over.

I used to collect them until they took up too much space in my house and I realised they were worthless

Wallington Royal

by Wallington Royal » 11 Sep 2017 20:16

I just have to say what an improvement on last season... I still would like to see more on the current away team... But well done to the team...

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 Sep 2017 23:46

eddiegrundy As an exile it's sad to hear that the programme has gone downhill in recent times. However, even when they did publish proper pen pictures of the opposition, they often got it wrong. Here's a couple of examples:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhE5yHsIfVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlW9Gu3WOnA

That has to be the most boring clip on tube.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1