Oh well.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Oh well.

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 18:09

Shame we didn't win, but to be fair after that truly terrible performance we really didn't deserve to.

I don't know whether it was wrong tactics, a lack of nerve or just a lack of quality - but we were absolutely atrocious. No point scapegoating Liam and Jordan, this one is on the whole team.

Fair play to Huddersfield. The best team won and deserve to be promoted.

Life goes on.

Sebastian the Red

Re: Oh well.

by Sebastian the Red » 29 May 2017 18:10

Avon Royal No point scapegoating Liam and Jordan,

Nope. They need to suffer.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 May 2017 18:20

Sebastian the Red

'greed...pair of escapegoating pcunts

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 29 May 2017 18:58

Shame but same old story, we really are horrific playoff bottlers. Its like the Chicago Cubs 108 year goat curse, we are just doomed to playoff failure and maybe one day we can shake it.

Over the three legs of football we played we were second best in all of them. We managed to get past Fulham with a defensive game plan and hung onto the goal by a fortuitous penalty. Today is a one off game and you need to have an attacking approach in some form to try and get ahead. I am not saying all out attack is sensible, but you need to take it to the opposition with some momentum for periods of the game and we didn't have the quality to sustain any pressure or open them up. Even after they had missed some guilt edged chances and it looked like it could be our day did that not spur us into action, it was pretty poor and similar to a lot of the performances I have seen this season where I have questioned " can we continue winning with this style"?

We didn't create anything clear cut in 120 minutes of football and only managed a few half chances that never really threatened. We got exactly what we deserved i'm afraid - so if you are feeling devastated remember it would have been a travesty if we had won.

Regarding the shootout, those were two horrible penalties but shit happens, no point scapegoating. I have to ask the question who bottled taking one that we had to have a center back step up?

All in all its disappointing but we are used to it, its been a great season and Jaap has done a great job in getting us into the mix. With a few additions we can have a go at automatic next season but we absolutely need at least one, maybe two quality strikers as well as someone with more punch and quality in midfield. The club at least has some direction and momentum now and with another season of building we would probably be more prepared for the prem IF we were to make it next year.

Good luck to Huddersfield, no qualms in losing to them. Hope they stay up.

Davezk

by Davezk » 29 May 2017 19:18

G mac must have refused to take one as i'm sure he took some in the league games

double d

by double d » 29 May 2017 19:28

Sebastian the Red

You don't deserve to support reading!!! You try have the bottle to take a penalty ! All you do is pay for a season ticket you don't know anything Bout football

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 29 May 2017 19:33

FiNeRaIn Shame but same old story, we really are horrific playoff bottlers. Its like the Chicago Cubs 108 year goat curse, we are just doomed to playoff failure and maybe one day we can shake it.

Over the three legs of football we played we were second best in all of them. We managed to get past Fulham with a defensive game plan and hung onto the goal by a fortuitous penalty. Today is a one off game and you need to have an attacking approach in some form to try and get ahead. I am not saying all out attack is sensible, but you need to take it to the opposition with some momentum for periods of the game and we didn't have the quality to sustain any pressure or open them up. Even after they had missed some guilt edged chances and it looked like it could be our day did that not spur us into action, it was pretty poor and similar to a lot of the performances I have seen this season where I have questioned " can we continue winning with this style"?

We didn't create anything clear cut in 120 minutes of football and only managed a few half chances that never really threatened. We got exactly what we deserved i'm afraid - so if you are feeling devastated remember it would have been a travesty if we had won.

Regarding the shootout, those were two horrible penalties but shit happens, no point scapegoating. I have to ask the question who bottled taking one that we had to have a center back step up?

All in all its disappointing but we are used to it, its been a great season and Jaap has done a great job in getting us into the mix. With a few additions we can have a go at automatic next season but we absolutely need at least one, maybe two quality strikers as well as someone with more punch and quality in midfield. The club at least has some direction and momentum now and with another season of building we would probably be more prepared for the prem IF we were to make it next year.

^^This. Tactically poor today. Posed virtually no threat at all going forward. Blackett was frankly awful until he went to the left of a back three. Up until then the players just didn't trust him with a pass. Funily enough he was actually decent after that! But to go into a one-off game with such a defensive set up and no wingers on the pitch ruined the game as a spectacle. Fair play to HT they deserved the win. Hope they stay up, although I'm not putting any money on it...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2017 19:42

Great season but not good enough on the day. A thoroughly Chris Gunter performance from too many... timid, cautious and negative. Williams looked the only one trying to win. Huddersfield should have buried at least two clear chances to our none.

Knew Obita would miss from the look of his run up. Why didn't McCleary taker one?

Oh well. Great base to build from for next year.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 29 May 2017 19:51

I'm just delighted I only travelled from Tilehurst. Some people came from much further afield - that must be truly dreadful.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 29 May 2017 19:53

BR0B0T
Sebastian the Red

'greed...pair of escapegoating pcunts

Death to traitors!!!

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 29 May 2017 19:55

Armadillo Roadkill I'm just delighted I only travelled from Tilehurst. Some people came from much further afield - that must be truly dreadful.

my mate travelled for Sydney.

But then the oxf*rd left at half time because we've spent the last 2 days drinking.

So fukk him!

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 29 May 2017 19:59

double d
Sebastian the Red

You don't deserve to support reading!!! You try have the bottle to take a penalty ! All you do is pay for a season ticket you don't know anything Bout football

You honestly think I pay for a season ticket?

double d

by double d » 29 May 2017 20:04

Sebastian the Red
double d
Sebastian the Red

So you are a daytripper with an irrelevant opinion then?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2017 20:07

Get a braincell dd

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 29 May 2017 20:07

double d
Sebastian the Red
double d

So you are a daytripper with an irrelevant opinion then?

Didn't even go today, m8

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 29 May 2017 20:19

Not sure about the whole 'leave Moore and Obita alone' dogma. They are obviously not solely responsible for our defeat, and likewise they stood tall while other players refused, which is commendable. However it is absolutely fair to acknowledge they were dreadful penalties, particularly Obita's. I'm sure they're hurting as much/moore than any of us and will be the first ones back training in preseason.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 May 2017 20:23

Pretty much inexcusable to not even hit the target....however, looking back Kellys' was an absolute beaut!!!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 May 2017 20:32

FiNeRaIn Shame but same old story, we really are horrific playoff bottlers. Its like the Chicago Cubs 108 year goat curse, we are just doomed to playoff failure and maybe one day we can shake it.

Perfect, says everything I had in mind to say.

Carlos

by Carlos » 29 May 2017 20:49

Mccleary is such a coward. Plays with a swagger then bottles taking a penalty. At least obita had the balls to step up.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 30 May 2017 12:35

Obita took one in the shootout v MK Dons as well. Took a beauty in to the top corner iirc. I didn't mind him stepping up for the penalty. I just think the pressure of the situation got to him - with Moore having missed and Huddersfield back level and in front of their fans, with no chance of coming back with his being the last one. We know he strikes a clean ball - his set pieces are decent, he's hit good penalties in the past. Yesterday, unfortunately, was not his day from the spot.