Do you have another team?

double d

Do you have another team?

by double d » 01 Jun 2017 21:50

I have been a fan of Reading since I have liked football, I have had a season ticket since 2001.... however in the last few years for some reason my support has just gone done quite a lot. I cannot put a finger on exactly what it is or when it was, I just do not feel the same passion as I used to feel. I used to get involved, sing my heart out, buy the shirts, cheer the team on, get upset if we lose and angry if we got cheated out of a win/played Neil Warnock and happy when we won. I even started a whole nightclub in Spain chant about Kevin Doyle, Sir Steve Coppell and Shane Long when we beat Southampton that night and then won the league that year. Lately though for some reason I just don't seem to care anymore. In the last few years I have now felt less and less passion about the team and the results. I still go and support the team when I do but now it feels nothing like it was. I think that this is probably just me getting sick and tired and fed up with football at this level in general. I do love watching football as a whole and I do find some of the games and moments so dramatic, but In the last few years I have found these moments to be watching Forest Green Rovers and not Reading so much. Family ties has given me access to FGR for free in the last year and a half and I have to say they are now my 2nd team. I feel that I get more excitement watching this league and this level of football then watching Reading. I do wish my hometown team and football in general can do something again so I am invested in it at this level. My question is do you have another team you have a soft spot for or support at all or are you reading die hard through and through. I think my problem is that I just don't care about football as much as I used to in general..... i would say it is a money thing mainly. I do and will always be fond of reading and the memories I have had!

Davezk

Re: Do you have another team?

by Davezk » 01 Jun 2017 21:52

No... you can only have one team who you support properly

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jun 2017 22:11

And people wonder why Reading fans get stick

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Jun 2017 22:31

No. Watching Reading is painful enough.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Jun 2017 23:05

There are teams I don't mind doing well, Tottenham due to family connections and (apologies to older fans) Aldershot due to the proximity to Fleet and the fact my Aunt goes to most their games. I however only actively support Reading.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 02 Jun 2017 00:56

I've started to support Orlando City since I live close by. It's a great club. And more importantly, OCSC will probably never play against Reading so I have no moral dilemma to worry about.

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 02 Jun 2017 02:03

Having lived abroad for years, I first followed fluminense pretty passionately for a while and really became a supporter, getting in arguments with rival fans for example. However, having fallen out of love with them, I now watch Tupi from Juiz de Fora whenever they are close.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Jun 2017 07:23

I could happily also support (and have in the past) my village club who I think are in tier 8 without feeling any guilt.

I have also started supporting from afar Atlanta Utd in the MLS. They are a really exciting new team, scoring lots of goals with the style of football I am sure Jaap is working towards. I look forward to going to see them in the absolutely superb new Mercedes-Benz stadium when it opens. It's a reciprocal deal as some of the residents of Atlanta that I have met are now following The Royals from the US.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 02 Jun 2017 07:52

AFC Newquay, who play in the South West Peninsula League Premier Division. Simply because I've loved Newquay ever since I first went there with my family as a nine year old and I've taken my holidays there many times since. I went to watch them last year when I was there in August and even have one of their shirts. Unfortunately they didn’t have a great season and finished second to bottom having only won four games all season and a goal difference of minus 126!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jun 2017 07:58

Since moving here have had more that a passing interest in how Eintracht Frankfurt are doing and get along to 2 or 3 games a season but that's about it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2017 08:09

Fulham for me.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Jun 2017 08:10

Trowbridge Town for me. Supported them at the old Frome Road ground, now sadly gone, but still look for their results.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Jun 2017 08:17

Metz

I go half a dozen times a season. Seen quite a few famous players start their careers here (Pires, Ribery, Saha)

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 02 Jun 2017 08:37

Not anymore but I supported Spurs when I was little, so I am allowed to feel pleased when they win games.

However, as an 80s child, the joy of Liverpool losing games is probably greater, as is that Schadenfreude feeling you get when English teams get knocked out of the Champions League.

jar95

by jar95 » 02 Jun 2017 08:39

and people wonder why our support is rubbish
Last edited by jar95 on 02 Jun 2017 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

double d

by double d » 02 Jun 2017 08:48

jar95 and people wonder why are support is rubbish

You must be a NEMSA with spelling like that.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 02 Jun 2017 08:53

No second team as such, but I echo the feelings about football. I don't feel the same connection to the club anymore, didn't renew my season ticket of the last 20 or so years and only went to one match this season. I think my apathy also coincided with a few seasons of dreadful football and results which made it harder and harder to make the effort and go to the games.

I don't know if my feeling about the club changed when Sir John sold the club. No longer is it a case of "we're all in this together" where you could feel that every pound you spent at the club shop was vital to the ongoing running of the club. It isn't plucky little Reading owned by local business man done good. It is just another foreign plaything/money laundering vehicle owned by a variety of faceless, voiceless entities who couldn't give a rat's arse about the town or the club, just what they can get out of it.

The amount and spread of money in the game is also ridiculous, and geared towards the very top. I cannot see how it can possibly be sustainable for clubs like Reading, carrying around a huge amount of debt and trying to compete.

Anyway, I'll shut up and carry on lurking.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jun 2017 09:12

I generally chop and change who I support. Whoever wins the Premier League I start to follow, and usually always get their home shirt, hopefully the Chelsea one will arrive soon so I can celebrate being CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jun 2017 09:12

(I felt dirty even writing that post)

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 02 Jun 2017 09:23

Y21 No second team as such, but I echo the feelings about football. I don't feel the same connection to the club anymore, didn't renew my season ticket of the last 20 or so years and only went to one match this season. I think my apathy also coincided with a few seasons of dreadful football and results which made it harder and harder to make the effort and go to the games.

I don't know if my feeling about the club changed when Sir John sold the club. No longer is it a case of "we're all in this together" where you could feel that every pound you spent at the club shop was vital to the ongoing running of the club. It isn't plucky little Reading owned by local business man done good. It is just another foreign plaything/money laundering vehicle owned by a variety of faceless, voiceless entities who couldn't give a rat's arse about the town or the club, just what they can get out of it.

The amount and spread of money in the game is also ridiculous, and geared towards the very top. I cannot see how it can possibly be sustainable for clubs like Reading, carrying around a huge amount of debt and trying to compete.

Anyway, I'll shut up and carry on lurking.

I massively agree with not feeling the same connection as previously - I think part of this (for me at least) has been the constant churn of players and managers over the past few seasons. Hopefully Stam sticks around.