Re: RUMOUR: Gunter to Boro

by Hound » 05 Jul 2017 11:25

Guessing the release clause has been removed now

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Jul 2017 11:33

Really pleased with this news.

Why do so many fans dislike Gunter so much? Please name all the better right backs we have had at this club?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Jul 2017 11:35

Gary Peters.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jul 2017 11:38

Graeme Murty

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jul 2017 12:19

Andy Griffin

The Informant

by The Informant » 05 Jul 2017 12:19

CountryRoyal Andy Griffin

Andy Bernal

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jul 2017 12:23

blythspartan Really pleased with this news.

Why do so many fans dislike Gunter so much? Please name all the better right backs we have had at this club?

Not a case of "why do so many" - its just a few - pretty much every player at Reading FC here has got some vitriol aimed at them by someone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2017 12:27

Lets be honest, he can be frustrating at times. The number of occasions which you'd like to see him push forward and show a bit more ambition are plenty. He has enough pace, strength and crossing ability to be a real attacking outlet, but often seems hamstrung either by his manager or by his own confidence to demonstrate it more often. Hopefully he will develop this side more this coming year

In saying that, he is undoubtedly a solid full back at this level, and good character,and his reliability and fitness are always going to make him the type who a manager loves to have around

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jul 2017 12:28

paultheroyal

Not a case of "why do so many" - its just a few - pretty much every player at Reading FC here has got some vitriol aimed at them by someone.

Bit more than a few. I'd say it's probably 50/50 maybe 60/40.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Jul 2017 12:36

At least in these post-Mad Man days we hopefully won't get the "this is like a new signing, blah, blah " twaddle.
My opinion FWIW is that this is a signing for the Championship and not one for a club with strong ambition for promotion.
This is his level and no higher and he was one of a team that failed last season-obviously not just down to him but he is just an example of one of the many who could not hack it when the crunch came.

This feels almost as bad as when we extended HRK's contract.

Stam's judgement is hard to question after such an unexpectedly good season but in doing this (and playing his great friend Joey at all) I do question it.
Hopefully he will get all others right and we carry Gunter to the next level as , although far from being the best, he is not the worst right-back in the Championship.
Presumably Watson will be loaned out or let go as he barely had a sniff of the first team last season.

The Informant

by The Informant » 05 Jul 2017 12:41

BR2 At least in these post-Mad Man days we hopefully won't get the "this is like a new signing, blah, blah " twaddle.
My opinion FWIW is that this is a signing for the Championship and not one for a club with strong ambition for promotion.
This is his level and no higher and he was one of a team that failed last season-obviously not just down to him but he is just an example of one of the many who could not hack it when the crunch came.

This feels almost as bad as when we extended HRK's contract.

Stam's judgement is hard to question after such an unexpectedly good season but in doing this (and playing his great friend Joey at all) I do question it.
Hopefully he will get all others right and we carry Gunter to the next level as , although far from being the best, he is not the worst right-back in the Championship.
Presumably Watson will be loaned out or let go as he barely had a sniff of the first team last season.

We cant completely re-build every summer FFS

He's a steady championship performer - if we find a better option we will sign him.

We need to add quality this summer not keep replacing it.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Jul 2017 13:09

Good news. I now won't have to change my favourite boo boy :D

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Jul 2017 13:10

paultheroyal

Yep
Perhaps there are many nobbers who don't like him but that's hardly an indication of the feeling of fans in general

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 05 Jul 2017 13:30

More happy than I thought I'd be with this - we'd be hard pressed to find many better right backs who'd be willing to come here, and I think the money could be better spent in basically any other position. Echoing the sentiments above, we can't rebuild the entire squad every Summer. This group finished 3rd in a competitive league last season, and Gunter wasn't exactly a bit part player.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2017 13:31

Very harsh saying he failed last year!

Getting to the play offs was definitely a success from where we were and he was excellent in the final

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 05 Jul 2017 13:48

Delighted he is staying.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jul 2017 14:08

Hound Guessing the release clause has been removed now

Not necessarily, he may want to keep it in case, say, somebody he really loathes gets appointed as manager. OR he stops getting picked every week, but the club don't want to let him go because he's useful on the bench. At the level that release clause is set, it looks like an escape hatch he got built in, just in case.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jul 2017 14:10

CountryRoyal
paultheroyal

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you are seriously saying that 50% + of all fans that attend Reading matches think he is crap and we want rid. :shock: :shock:

russyb

by russyb » 05 Jul 2017 14:22

In general he is a solid player, you pretty much get a 6 sometimes 7 out of ten performance every game. it would be nice to see him add to his game in an attacking sense, we all know he is probably capable of taking it up a notch

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jul 2017 14:32

paultheroyal
CountryRoyal
paultheroyal

So you are seriously saying that 50% + of all fans that attend Reading matches think he is crap and we want rid. :shock: :shock:

Well you went from 0-100 super quick. No, not necessarily want rid, but certainly a large proportion of fans I speak to/hear aren't convinced and are more in the "anti-Gunter camp" if you will.

(Also 60/40 in favour of him)

Just seems that way to me. I've I'm having a conversation with 8 people, there will be a significant amount that don't rate him. Not sure why you find that so hard to believe.