Transfer fees out of control

mumbo-jumbo

Transfer fees out of control

by mumbo-jumbo » 25 Jul 2017 14:10

It seems the world of football has finally completely lost all sense of perspective with the transfer fees being achieved this window. £50m for Gylfi being a case in point; he's a great player, but seriously? It makes me feel far less optimistic than I was that we'll be able to make any 'meltdown' signings this summer, and there will be more chance for academy and 'savvy' signings to get their chances? No bad thing IMHO

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Transfer fees out of control

by windermereROYAL » 25 Jul 2017 14:32

Haven`t Wolves signed some guy for over 15m. bloody crazy.
But unlike us they have wealthy Chinese owners..oh wait :shock:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jul 2017 14:46

I'm not concerned about not spending tonnes. We've consistently proved that you don't need to spend a lot (at least in transfer fees) to be successful. It's about recruiting the right sort of player and it's about the team.

Even with the undoubted quality that Wolves have signed I'd be very surprised if they finished in the top 6.

Every time we have signed an expensive player it's always gone to shit. Quite happy to continue as we are.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Jul 2017 15:32

CountryRoyal I'm not concerned about not spending tonnes. We've consistently proved that you don't need to spend a lot (at least in transfer fees) to be successful. It's about recruiting the right sort of player and it's about the team.

Even with the undoubted quality that Wolves have signed I'd be very surprised if they finished in the top 6.

Every time we have signed an expensive player it's always gone to shit. Quite happy to continue as we are.

I'd rather buy guaranteed success just like QPR and Derby did over the last few years!!

mambo3

by mambo3 » 25 Jul 2017 15:57

CountryRoyal I'm not concerned about not spending tonnes. We've consistently proved that you don't need to spend a lot (at least in transfer fees) to be successful. It's about recruiting the right sort of player and it's about the team.

Unfortunately we will soon find out whether investing in expensive players gets you into the prem.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Jul 2017 16:05

mambo3

Unfortunately we will soon find out whether investing in expensive players gets you into the prem.

Worked for Newcastle and Brighton last season, while Newcastle's net spend was in the black, they were certainly shelling out huge wages beyond the means of most, if not all other Championship clubs.

The Play-off final was contested between two teams with relatively low net transfer spend and then you had teams like Norwich, Derby and Villa who spent big and weren't really near anything.

Every season there always seems to be a bit of success and failure amongst the big spending teams.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Jul 2017 16:20

Can't remember where but a few years ago, I remember seeing a chart on here that suggested higher wage expenditure was (statistically, at least) a more reliable way to guarantee success in the Championship, rather than transfer fees.

I know we spent a fair whack on wages in the 2011/12 season. And we were probably up there last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2017 17:28

mambo3

We and Burnley have proved several times it isn't necessary whilst the likes of Derby, Fulham, QPR and Wolves have proved it's no guarantee of anything.

I'll take a regular 15% chance at low transfer fees over a 25% chance at ludicrous fees. And that's assuming spending them actually increases your chances at all.

It has always been, and always will be, about identifying the right players and paying competitive wages, not about splashing headline fees. As CR said, look at all our comparative big signings: Lita, Halford, Fae, Bikey, Mills, Vydra, Seol, etc etc etc. How many of them have been better than Ok? It's oxf*rd all. All our most impactful signings have been comparatively cheap or home grown.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Jul 2017 18:37

Its farcical and frankly football as a sport is not really enjoyable anymore. What honor, dignity or respect is there when you look at teams like Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, etc just throwing money at every up and coming youngster as well as anyone who is performing half decently in Europe? Even lowly prem teams spending 20+ million on players, wtf?

The only way to get round this insanity is a cap like they do over here. Unfortunately, the governing bodies in Europe have little to no interest in this for monetary reasons. Its going to take people who really care about the game to cap it and force teams to have to promote from youth academies as well as maximum transfer budgets. I don't see this happening unfortunately as the clubs spending those sums have too much power as well as officials with no motivation to go against them. The fans complain about it a lot, but most still buy tickets so its a vicious cycle.

I miss having a season ticket at Reading but I never thought watching a baseball team here as much as I do i'd ever think the fans have more affinity with the players, but I can safely say they actually do now. compare to football, and there is far less crying like babies when they don't get a transfer to move one club higher in the league table :lol: Spoiled c*nts.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Jul 2017 19:15

I don't have a problem with transfer fees as generally the money stays in football by just moving around the clubs.
It's the wages where the money goes out of football to be spent on bling etc that gets me.
The fact that a top end Championship player can earn in excess of £1 million per year regardless of whether he plays or is injured is the obscene part of football finances IMHO rather than transfer fees.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 Jul 2017 19:22

Transfer fees are crazy at the moment and as only 3 teams can get promoted spending big in the Championship is a big risk.

In recent years, I think Brentford have made some cracking signings at fairly low risk prices and have been able to sale most of them on for a healthy profit.

We have signed a fair few bargain basement players that haven't worked out but I can't argue with 3rd place last season.

I don't want us to break the bank but I think with only one fit striker, we will need to spend some money pretty soon and probably break our transfer fee record in the process.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Jul 2017 21:03

FiNeRaIn Its farcical and frankly football as a sport is not really enjoyable anymore. What honor, dignity or respect is there when you look at teams like Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, etc just throwing money at every up and coming youngster as well as anyone who is performing half decently in Europe? Even lowly prem teams spending 20+ million on players, wtf?

The only way to get round this insanity is a cap like they do over here. Unfortunately, the governing bodies in Europe have little to no interest in this for monetary reasons. Its going to take people who really care about the game to cap it and force teams to have to promote from youth academies as well as maximum transfer budgets. I don't see this happening unfortunately as the clubs spending those sums have too much power as well as officials with no motivation to go against them. The fans complain about it a lot, but most still buy tickets so its a vicious cycle.

I miss having a season ticket at Reading but I never thought watching a baseball team here as much as I do i'd ever think the fans have more affinity with the players, but I can safely say they actually do now. compare to football, and there is far less crying like babies when they don't get a transfer to move one club higher in the league table :lol: Spoiled c*nts.

Best post ever. This should be posted to a national audience. I've been feeling this for at least the last 3 or 4 seasons, and it is only getting worse.

FWIW keep an eye out for Leeds this season. They seem to be following the doctrine laid out by a few other posters on here, and whilst they are not my cop of tea, they are a profoundly professional outfit since Cellino sold on. Academy is being heavily invested in as are facilities and they are not breaking the bank to "buy" success.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 25 Jul 2017 21:19

The problem with spending big on transfers is that even for the best-run clubs, only a third of what you buy will be adequate straight away; a third will come good within a year or so and a third will never make it. I doubt the Derbys and Man Citys of this world get even close to such a good return. For Spurs, something like eight of their top ten signings ever have been utter shit, yet have taken up first-team places before this is realised. Transfers are bad.

Wolves and Leeds have spent massively this summer, but you know there is less than a 50% chance that the really expensive Portugese lad will be any good, and also can feel pretty confident that 8 or 9 of the incoming Leeds players will be worse than what they had last year.

Reading aren't very good at big signings, so the fewer we make, the happier I will be.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Jul 2017 22:12

FiNeRaIn Its farcical and frankly football as a sport is not really enjoyable anymore. What honor, dignity or respect is there when you look at teams like Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, etc just throwing money at every up and coming youngster as well as anyone who is performing half decently in Europe? Even lowly prem teams spending 20+ million on players, wtf?

I disagree sir.

The top teams have always done this. The money has increased across the board. Small teams are also spending more. It can't grow exponentially but the gap between the top clubs and the rest is constant.

Players have been throwing fits about transfers for a long time it's not a new development. If anything it's the power of the media that just highlights it more often as they seek clicks with easy headlines.

Leicester winning the premier league can be your source of honour, dignity and respect if that's what your after. Montpellier did it a few years back too. It happens. Football always wins in the end.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 25 Jul 2017 23:01

Snowflake Royal As CR said, look at all our comparative big signings: Lita, Halford, Fae, Bikey, Mills, Vydra, Seol, etc etc etc. How many of them have been better than Ok? It's oxf*rd all. All our most impactful signings have been comparatively cheap or home grown.

Are you seriously suggesting Lita was not better than OK ? He scored fairly frequently as I recall during the club's most successful period and continued to do so in the Premier League ! In his prime he would easily have walked into any of our teams of the last 3 seasons. Perhaps you were not there for arguably the best game ever at the Madstad when we beat Palace 3 - 2 and he scored that unforgettable overhead kick - not better than OK, you are having a laugh :lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Jul 2017 05:57

NewCorkSeth I disagree sir.

The top teams have always done this. The money has increased across the board. Small teams are also spending more. It can't grow exponentially but the gap between the top clubs and the rest is constant.

Players have been throwing fits about transfers for a long time it's not a new development. If anything it's the power of the media that just highlights it more often as they seek clicks with easy headlines.

Leicester winning the premier league can be your source of honour, dignity and respect if that's what your after. Montpellier did it a few years back too. It happens. Football always wins in the end.

Those are two teams out of how many seasons?

The top clubs have always had more money, but they did not have enough money to buy players to prevent other people getting them. We are at that point now with just needlessly big squads of players who'd rather sit on the bench earning 200k a week in a top club than play regularly for a team a level below. Thats a problem, player hogging like this should not be allowed so bring in legislation to stop it. Seeing talent spread out will be better for the league and it will provide more opportunities for younger English players.

Players were NEVER such whiney bitches like they are now, regardless of who is to blame. How is it enjoyable to be a football fan when unless you support either Chelsea, Man City or maybe Man Utd you are always going to be feeding players to the teams above because they'll be tapped up, start crying like babies having tantrums and refusing to train. There was a small, small minority that did this in the 90s ( usually dicks like Van Hoijdonk) but now its rampant with even British players doing it.

American sports are not as intense as football usually but they at least reward teams who build sensibly, have a strategy as well as bringing through their own youth players to make the whole package a successful one. It is absolutely tedious watching the same teams spending obscene amounts of money each season, ruin careers, hog talent, destroy the teams underneath by poaching players and then want a pat on the back when they buy their success.

I am not saying replicate the American system entirely, firstly the FA would never do this as they like the money and secondly its too much of a drastic change. The game however MUST stop this nonsense and caps need to come in with no loopholes. Its just not interesting anymore.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Jul 2017 07:05

blythspartan
In recent years, I think Brentford have made some cracking signings at fairly low risk prices and have been able to sale most of them on for a healthy profit.

Brentford are my dark horses for next season - expect them to go up or at least be in for a shout at top six.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2017 07:48

Steve_Upper_West
Snowflake Royal As CR said, look at all our comparative big signings: Lita, Halford, Fae, Bikey, Mills, Vydra, Seol, etc etc etc. How many of them have been better than Ok? It's oxf*rd all. All our most impactful signings have been comparatively cheap or home grown.

Are you seriously suggesting Lita was not better than OK ? He scored fairly frequently as I recall during the club's most successful period and continued to do so in the Premier League ! In his prime he would easily have walked into any of our teams of the last 3 seasons. Perhaps you were not there for arguably the best game ever at the Madstad when we beat Palace 3 - 2 and he scored that unforgettable overhead kick - not better than OK, you are having a laugh :lol:

He had two very good but brief scoring runs and then became a disruptive liability. I call that ok.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Jul 2017 08:06

Snowflake Royal
Steve_Upper_West

He had two very good but brief scoring runs and then became a disruptive liability. I call that ok.

+1 never rated him myself ... he was a bit of a one trick pony ... but I know a lot of fans loved him.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Jul 2017 08:58

Snowflake Royal
Steve_Upper_West

+2