RUMOUR - Paul Smyth

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

RUMOUR - Paul Smyth

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2017 09:28

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 36979.html

Linfield manager David Healy laughed off suggestions that Paul Smyth might leave the club after the Blues defeated Ards 2-0 at the Bangor Fuels Arena.

Smyth provided a fine assist for Kirk Millar to score in the first half, although Ards goalkeeper Aaron Hogg denied him on three occasions. The Northern Ireland Under-21 international has been linked with a number of English Championship clubs, with a Reading scout watching from the stands in Bangor.

Healy laughed: "Paul Smyth will be a Linfield player on Saturday when we play Dungannon. He will be frustrated tonight because he was denied a few times but I've no doubt he will start taking those chances."

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Paul Smyth

by John Smith » 16 Aug 2017 10:55

Da Bells Da Bells Only a smyther of hope on this one.

Love it

GazzTheSpaz

by GazzTheSpaz » 16 Aug 2017 14:13

Da Bells Da Bells Only a smyther of hope on this one.

Not sure we have the pauling power

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Aug 2017 14:16

Not keen on players called Smyth rather than Smith. Find it a bit confusing tbh.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 16 Aug 2017 15:15

Is this a bit like Mrs Bucket
Last edited by linkenholtroyal on 16 Aug 2017 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 16 Aug 2017 16:28

linkenholtroyal Is this a bit like mrs Bucket

Nah, she's a holding player

JIM

by JIM » 16 Aug 2017 18:16

She can handle it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Aug 2017 19:06

Norfolk Royal Not keen on players called Smyth rather than Smith. Find it a bit confusing tbh.

I think it is just an Irish thing-my daughter is marrying one next month but, as far as I know, he is not related to this one.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Aug 2017 22:41

Victor Meldrew
Norfolk Royal Not keen on players called Smyth rather than Smith. Find it a bit confusing tbh.

I think it is just an Irish thing-my daughter is marrying one next month but, as far as I know, he is not related to this one.

Yep, Whyte rather than White, Smyth rather than Smith. No I have no idea why, it's just always been like that.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Aug 2017 10:09

muirinho
Victor Meldrew

Yep, Whyte rather than White, Smyth rather than Smith. No I have no idea why, it's just always been like that.

Literally know 3 Irish Smith families and 2 White families (Yes there's a joke there. Move on.) And have never met one spelled with a y.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Aug 2017 10:24

The Linfield manager 'laughing off' suggestions of a transfer. He's confident. Like they'd turn down a few hundred grand. :roll:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Aug 2017 11:37

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
Victor Meldrew

Literally know 3 Irish Smith families and 2 White families (Yes there's a joke there. Move on.) And have never met one spelled with a y.

Shows the danger of using anecdotal evidence! Have never met an Irish "White". and the only Irish "Smith" I know is a Nordie who doesn't regard himself as Irish.
But I've never met an English Smyth or Whyte.

Weird, huh?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Aug 2017 11:39

A lot of buzz on the Irish press about this guy and Everton/Newcastle/Sunderland/Birmingham/ Sheff Utd also said to
be interested.

Crawley offered 60K and were rejected.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Aug 2017 11:59

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

Shows the danger of using anecdotal evidence! Have never met an Irish "White". and the only Irish "Smith" I know is a Nordie who doesn't regard himself as Irish.

Weird, huh?

True. I would argue that "Smith" in all its forms is an Anglo-Saxon name (presumably) and that there are very few (if any) irish names, be they Norman or Celtic, that use 'y' as a vowel.
Are we sure it's not a Welsh spelling that has transferred to parts of Ireland through immigration?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Aug 2017 13:10

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth Literally know 3 Irish Smith families and 2 White families (Yes there's a joke there. Move on.) And have never met one spelled with a y.

Weird, huh?

True. I would argue that "Smith" in all its forms is an Anglo-Saxon name (presumably) and that there are very few (if any) irish names, be they Norman or Celtic, that use 'y' as a vowel.
Are we sure it's not a Welsh spelling that has transferred to parts of Ireland through immigration?

From the ancestral research I've done the name Smith is likely to primarily derive from the old anglo-saxon/germanic word "smitan" which means to strike and thus many of those who served as fighters, soldiers, warriors etc. were given the name. Secondarily it also derives as a shortened term for someone who works in metal e.g. goldsmith, blacksmith etc. (which in turn also derive from the same root).

The difference in spelling in this case is probably historical, back to the days when illiteracy was rife and before the English language was standardised and so those that could read and write would use whichever spelling suited them (or they may have just mis-read earlier printed or hand-written documents).

It is the most common surname in the UK & Northern Ireland, USA and Australia. It is the second most common surname in Canada but only the fifth most common in the Republic of Ireland. Interestingly the greatest concentration of Smith's is in Aberdeenshire

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 17 Aug 2017 14:07

Are they all related?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Aug 2017 09:36

ClubCall Linfield have warned Reading and Queens Park Rangers that winger Paul Smyth will only move on if their valuation is met.

The Northern Ireland Premiership champions are happy to let the teenager progress to a higher level, but so far no club has offered what they feel is a fair amount of compensation.

QPR have reportedly had two bids rejected for Smyth, while Reading reportedly sent a scout to watch him in Linfield's 2-0 win over Ards last week.

Linfield chairman Roy McGivern admits the English interest puts the club in an awkward position, but he says the club won't budge on their valuation of their asset.

"We're all very keen for Paul to progress, and I have no doubt that he will play at a higher level, but it remains to be seen whether that is this year or next year. We don't want to stand in anybody's way but the club has to be recompensed," he told the Belfast Telegraph.

"There has been a significant amount of interest in Paul, which is no surprise, but he is still very much a Linfield player and will be playing at Dungannon this weekend. We will see what happens. There is interest and if a club meets our valuation then the club will discuss it, but we're not at that stage yet. No decision has been made on Paul's future."

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2017 23:51

Kid scored again this weekend, VG goal

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 Aug 2017 11:10

On his way to QPR

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 29 Aug 2017 10:10

Confimred.

QPR have signed Northern Ireland U21 international Paul Smyth from Linfield. The winger has signed a two-year deal at Loftus Road with Ian Holloway’s side. Smyth had been linked with Reading earlier in the summer.