8627 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by BR0B0T » 24 Aug 2017 13:57

Sanguine
Sutekh
Sanguine "That's football!!"

Klopp clearly enjoying his side's 3rd goal last night. And a beauty it is too.

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/ ... 3077518341

Liverpool irresistable going forward again, but that defence will cost them any major honours.

Agreed. Arguably one of the best attacking sides in the world today but a defensive disaster just waiting to happen (and what gets me is it always seems to be the same mistakes over and over again). They still need to sign a central defender, a goalkeeper and a left back plus getting in a class defensive coach wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Alexander-Armstong looks like he may have the makings of a class international right back though.

Alexander Armstrong present Pointless, but Alexander-Arnold does look top quality. Liverpool have signed Andy Robertson at left-back and he was excellent on debut against Palace at the weekend. Van Dijk surely has to be a priority - they aren't going to achieve consistent results without bringing in a new centre-back.

Defence isn't just about having good defenders

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Aug 2017 14:56

BR0B0T
Sanguine
Sutekh
Agreed. Arguably one of the best attacking sides in the world today but a defensive disaster just waiting to happen (and what gets me is it always seems to be the same mistakes over and over again). They still need to sign a central defender, a goalkeeper and a left back plus getting in a class defensive coach wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Alexander-Armstong looks like he may have the makings of a class international right back though.

Alexander Armstrong present Pointless, but Alexander-Arnold does look top quality. Liverpool have signed Andy Robertson at left-back and he was excellent on debut against Palace at the weekend. Van Dijk surely has to be a priority - they aren't going to achieve consistent results without bringing in a new centre-back.

It's a fairly significant part of it though.....

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 24 Aug 2017 15:03

Nameless
BR0B0T
Sanguine

I hear ya, however....

Man City bought the top rated CB's that most big teams
were also pursuing (Mangala, Otamendi etc). These players
looked outstanding at their previous teams possibly because
they were better protected by the midfield etc

blah blah...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Aug 2017 12:19

I totally agree BR0B0T, and it's the point that Carragher was trying to get over to Redknapp the other day after whatever game it was.

The way Liverpool are set up exposes the back four too much. It makes them great to watch, and great going forwards, but it really does mean that a decent defender can be made to look average.

Obviously the better defenders the better they're going to be, but they're just stitched up far too often which means they're bound to make mistakes. Having said that, if Klopp put a Butland and Van Dijk into that defensive unit I think they'd look considerably better.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Aug 2017 12:31

Jim Royal
BR0B0T There is so much going on in this gif...my fav is the invisible
Liverpool fan at the back

I remember this. That famous Crystanbul night.

So that's where Mr Angry has got to (in the middle).

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Aug 2017 12:34

BR2
Jim Royal
BR0B0T There is so much going on in this gif...my fav is the invisible
Liverpool fan at the back

That guy in the middle has a face within a face...the disappearing man, the dopey glasses face, the invisible man...there's so much going on in that gif

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Aug 2017 12:35

BR0B0T
Nameless
BR0B0T

I hear ya, however....

blah blah...

It is a fair point Brobot.
Ian Rush was often referred to as Liverpool's best defender and for Reading Dave Kitson (and to some extent Kermorgant) likewise.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Aug 2017 12:37

BR0B0T
BR2
Jim Royal

That guy in the middle has a face within a face...the disappearing man, the dopey glasses face, the invisible man...there's so much going on in that gif

He could probably do with a bit of the speed-walking recommended in yesterday's news....and some.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Aug 2017 12:39

BR2
BR0B0T
Nameless

I hear ya, however....

blah blah...

It is a fair point Brobot.
Ian Rush was often referred to as Liverpool's best defender and for Reading Dave Kitson (and to some extent Kermorgant) likewise.

'greed! Rush used to put a real shift in.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Aug 2017 12:42

Hoop Blah I totally agree BR0B0T, and it's the point that Carragher was trying to get over to Redknapp the other day after whatever game it was.

The way Liverpool are set up exposes the back four too much. It makes them great to watch, and great going forwards, but it really does mean that a decent defender can be made to look average.

Obviously the better defenders the better they're going to be, but they're just stitched up far too often which means they're bound to make mistakes. Having said that, if Klopp put a Butland and Van Dijk into that defensive unit I think they'd look considerably better.

Agree with your last line.
The interesting thing about Lovren and Fonte is that as a pair playing for Southampton they both looked good but individually now at Liverpool and West Ham they don't.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Aug 2017 12:43

Hoop Blah I totally agree BR0B0T, and it's the point that Carragher was trying to get over to Redknapp the other day after whatever game it was.

Redknapp is such a tit....

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... sky-sports

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Aug 2017 12:48

I wonder if Sunday's game v Arsenal will provide the goalfest that makes the Premier League so watchable throughout the world but at the same time shows some of the worst defending (not just Liverpool or Arsenal, our whole league).
Until we produce good defenders in this country England will never win a World Cup or probably even a European Nations Cup and so many foreign forwards love coming here because scoring goals is so easy and the money's not bad.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Aug 2017 20:53

BR2

Agree with your last line.
The interesting thing about Lovren and Fonte is that as a pair playing for Southampton they both looked good but individually now at Liverpool and West Ham they don't.

It's a decent example of how partnerships and organisation are vital when it comes to defending.

There's also an element of the increased scrutiny that playing for one of the big brings. It's much easier to look good for Southampton when nobody is really paying that much attention to your mistakes than it is for a big club when you've got all the media and rival fans jumping on every error.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Aug 2017 00:06

So 5 games in all comps, 14 goals scored, 89 shots, 45 shots on target

Really think they should just cash in on Coutinho

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2017 09:17

genome So 5 games in all comps, 14 goals scored, 89 shots, 45 shots on target

Really think they should just cash in on Coutinho

Rumour is that Coutinho will come to an agreement that sees him stay with Liverpool this season and move to Barcelona next summer.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 28 Aug 2017 15:37

Seems plausible given the Keita transfer has been reported for next July.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2017 09:18

All praise the lord for 'tis a miracle that Coutinho has made a full recovery from his back injury

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/09/0 ... -eyes-out/

PS - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at Liverpool scoring a big fat zero in improving their defence though.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 01 Sep 2017 09:25

Sutekh All praise the lord for 'tis a miracle that Coutinho has made a full recovery from his back injury

PS - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at Liverpool scoring a big fat zero in improving their defence though.

If Klopp is as good a coach as he is believe to be, then surely he can make what defenders he has better. He's had enough time by now.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Sep 2017 09:40

Jim Royal
Sutekh All praise the lord for 'tis a miracle that Coutinho has made a full recovery from his back injury

If Klopp is as good a coach as he is believe to be, then surely he can make what defenders he has better. He's had enough time by now.

I think we've found another Man U glory boy.

Look, your real rivals are City.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Sep 2017 19:03

Today marks 10,000 days since Liverpool last won the league

8627 posts