CONFIMRED: Sone Aluko

258 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour: Sone Aluko

by genome » 29 Aug 2017 11:43

Hound Easy target, but JLow on the money as usual:

10:38
All quiet from Reading so far today regarding transfers.
Don’t expect anything to happen any time soon.

11:22
Sky reporting Reading have won the race to sign Aluko it would seem.

Deffo finding with the journos that if the club are acting quiet then that means they're about to announce something

Happened on Saturday with Edwards

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Aug 2017 11:46

CountryRoyal
paultheroyal Still finally getting it... pace and power and running at defenders in the final third.

Overpriced but excellent signing. Other clubs to sit up and take notice. Strong midfield with options... excellent wing options with pace... and now out and out striker.

Exciting times to be a reading fan right now.

Where?

that's what is coming next....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Aug 2017 11:51

You get the usual tripe from other teams supporters i.e. how rubbish a leaving player is etc etc - Aluko is proving no different but on Fulham site there are a lot and I mean a lot like this...

I'm a fan of the team Fulham FC, not Fulham plc. I'm not happy about Aluko leaving. For me, his arrival was a huge part of transforming the team's identity last season. I get that he misses a lot of chances, but he gets fans off their seats, makes something from nothing, and has fantastic workrate. SJ has made it clear that he is against Aluko leaving. This would be a stab in the back to him, and if even we end up signing Jota or Forestieri, there's no guarantee they'll settle well or fit in to the team shape. This is a bad move.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2017 11:54

I think they'll be quite happy if we are paying them 7m+ for a free transfer from last year

He is a good player and a good addition to the squad but not one I'd see as necessary, certainly at that price

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Aug 2017 12:18

The Reverend Fulham have apparently bid £7.5M for Brentford's Jota

£7.5M for Aluko is BONKERS.

Bid isn't accepted ....

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 29 Aug 2017 12:23

Most players are overpriced these days .. Aluko is no exception

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2017 12:30

As has been said £7.5m is pretty much the going rate for a player like Aluko. He fits in to our style and most importantly, Stam really rates him and sees him as being a key part of his plans.

That is really all that matters, whether you or I care to differ. In my view, he was a key player for one of our promotion rivals last year and the manager has made it clear he doesn't want him to go. Should it go through, it will be a great piece of business.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2017 12:30

£7.5m? For Aluko?

I'm usually pretty positive about signings but that is just madness.

Sure, he gets fans on their feet but that's usually to avoid being hit by one of his crosses.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Aug 2017 12:35

From Despair To Where? £7.5m? For Aluko?

I'm usually pretty positive about signings but that is just madness.

Sure, he gets fans on their feet but that's usually to avoid being hit by one of his crosses.

A trifle harsh but :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2017 12:47

But Aluko's not a striker he's a inconsistent winger with a penchant for row Z in 4 games out of 5 followed by 1 game where he's a world beater.

While I'm happy to see Reading add another to the squad (and he is a talented player) I can't help feeling underwhelmed at paying up to £7.5m for a 28 year old who is so inconsistent when we should be bringing in a quality striker.

Fulham must be laughing all the way to the bank.

And a :lol: at Sky saying Reading look like they've won the race for Aluko when Reading are apparently the only team that have shown the slightest interest in him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2017 12:53

Sutekh we should be bringing in a quality striker..

Who says we aren't? :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2017 12:53

Nameless
Snowflake Royal Exciting player... but with questionable end product. Given we already have McCleary, Beerens, Harriott, Barrow and Clement, and often play without wingers, I personally find this an over-priced and unnecessary transfer. I'm quite happy with the squad. A striker would be nice, but not worth breaking the bank over. A winger... meh.

Only benefit, pissing off Fulham.

How pissed off will they be with 7 million in their pocket ? They'll cope....

I'd agree we seem to have a good crop of wingers (although find your list a bit odd given Clement isn't a winger and we aren't using Barrow as one either plus Popa is in the team regularly !). If Harriott is struggling to recover, McLeary is not likely to play 40 games and Beerens is out of favour things do look different.

I forgot Popa. My impression was Clement had played out wide as much as central based on the chat on here. Barrow may have been played through the middle somewhat so far, but he strikes me as clearly a winger. It's a fair point that McCleary and Harriott have struggled with injury and may not feature much. It may also be that Harriott was bought when resources were smaller and Stam thinks he can now better him.

Still, I find the number of signings made each window these days a little profligate and given we often don't play with wingers, I'd have said another one was the last of our worries.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2017 12:55

Aluko got 8 goals & 10 assists last season, more than any of our wingers

yuomi

by yuomi » 29 Aug 2017 12:56

If we pay £7.5m and Fulham turn around and sign Jota from Brentford for £7.5m as reported we're going to look more than a little silly here...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2017 12:56

Sutekh But Aluko's not a striker he's a inconsistent winger with a penchant for row Z in 4 games out of 5 followed by 1 game where he's a world beater.

While I'm happy to see Reading add another to the squad (and he is a talented player) I can't help feeling underwhelmed at paying up to £7.5m for a 28 year old who is so inconsistent when we should be bringing in a quality striker

I think you are being a bit harsh based on a poor performance against us in the play offs last year

Majority of Fulham fans and their boss don't seem happy at all about losing him

I'd rather trust Stam and their boss&fans opinions over something we've assumed on a couple of games' evidence

I do think 7.5m is expensive but we don't know how that is broken down

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Aug 2017 12:57

The Reverend Fulham have apparently bid £7.5M for Brentford's Jota

£7.5M for Aluko is BONKERS.

In a world where loads of premier league clubs seem to be falling over themselves to sign Jonny Evans...sadly £7.5m is about going rate

FulhamFan

by FulhamFan » 29 Aug 2017 13:00

Fulham fan in peace. No way are Reading paying 7.5 million up front. Alot is probably bonus based.

Aluko is decent. Work-horse. Quick. Some amazing dribbling and skill. Seems to be popular in the dressing room.

He'll frustrate the life out of you with the chances he wastes, but I suppose we are both championship clubs so can hardly expect him to have it all.

I liked him but not sorry to see him go as his agent is annoying.

Best of luck to him and to Reading.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Aug 2017 13:05

really not seeing the point of this and the decimal point must be in the wrong place :). I think him and Barrow are too similar. From the times I have seen him (including last season's 5-0), I always get the impression he couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards away. I do now think that someone else will be on their way out (Popa maybe, Beerens)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2017 13:06

genome
Sutekh we should be bringing in a quality striker..

Who says we aren't? :roll:

Can't help but be heavily indoctrinated in the Reading way where spending even £500k on a player would be seen as a statement of intent by the board. So spending up to £7.5m on one player to me means the coffers will be well and truly empty for about the next 5 years

More than happy to be re-indoctrinated into a world of loony football expenditure though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2017 13:16

FulhamFan Fulham fan in peace. No way are Reading paying 7.5 million up front. Alot is probably bonus based.

Aluko is decent. Work-horse. Quick. Some amazing dribbling and skill. Seems to be popular in the dressing room.

He'll frustrate the life out of you with the chances he wastes, but I suppose we are both championship clubs so can hardly expect him to have it all.

I liked him but not sorry to see him go as his agent is annoying.

Best of luck to him and to Reading.

nice, thanks

presuming his agent will be off the scene for a while once he gets his cut of the 3/4 year deal we are no doubt giving him

258 posts