Board of Directors - Look away now ...

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Board of Directors - Look away now ...

by strap » 26 Oct 2017 18:39

I am struggling to believe much of this. But this is what the stats suggest!

Adkins, Bodgers & McDermott very healthy balances on transfer dealings. Even the Scottish Charlatan and Sir Steve Coppell in credit.

Stam of course , well the less said the better. Let us hope he is not around for the January transfer window. Wonder what Stam's Chief Apologist Adie Williams has to say on the matter?

The difference between EP and the MadStad, whilst naturally obvious, is still chilling in terms of overall money spent. JM is no doubt nodding sagely if he is reading this.

The total transfer cost of all the players we have ever bought is less than Real Madrid paid for Gareth Bale. Ouch!

These costs don't include things like wages, signing on fees, loan fees (the Scottish Charlatan would just about be in deficit if the alleged Vydra loan fee was included).

OK, my tin hat is on - do your worst.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Board of Directors - Look away now ...

by West Stand Man » 26 Oct 2017 19:17

Where do the numbers come from? The club is always hiding the numbers by saying 'undisclosed fee' so it would be interesting to know how these ones have been generated.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Oct 2017 19:53

I would imagine an analysis of similar sized clubs over the same period would show a similar trend in transfer spending.

I was arguing all summer that £7m for Aluko was a mad but it's how the market's going. I think you are reading a lot into the figures to suit your agenda.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 26 Oct 2017 19:59

From Despair To Where? I would imagine an analysis of similar sized clubs over the same period would show a similar trend in transfer spending.

I was arguing all summer that £7m for Aluko was a mad but it's how the market's going. I think you are reading a lot into the figures to suit your agenda.

I thought that there was evidence that this figure is above the actual price paid, even including add ons?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2017 19:59

How is Rodgers £3m before selling?

His signings were reported something along these lines:
Mills - £2.5m
McAnuff - £800k
Rasiak - £500k
Howard - £800k
Cummings - £300k

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 26 Oct 2017 20:03

From Despair To Where? I would imagine an analysis of similar sized clubs over the same period would show a similar trend in transfer spending.

Stam has denied Aluko was anything like £7m but he didn’t allude to what it was.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Oct 2017 20:18

Yes indeed strap, the less said about Stam the better. Well except getting us to third last year on what I imagine was a profit on players

We all think he has done shit this year. Really all of us. But let’s give the full picture.

Plenty more sticks to beat him with than spending too much money tbh

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 26 Oct 2017 20:31

Hound Yes indeed strap, the less said about Stam the better. Well except getting us to third last year on what I imagine was a profit on players

We all think he has done shit this year. Really all of us. But let’s give the full picture.

+1

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Oct 2017 21:14

Surely this isn't really a Stam v other manager thread. It should be a Nigel Howe / Nicky Hammond versus Tevreden and Gourlay?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Oct 2017 21:21

If it’s strap it’s going to be a Stam thread....

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 26 Oct 2017 21:30

Football finances are in a ridiculous state. If Stam had been manager when Coppell was, it is absolutely certain that the figure he spent on players would be so much less. You can't even use the usual inflation figures to compare spending.
Comparisons of spending by one manager against another are totally meaningless so I can't really see why figures would be presented like this.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 26 Oct 2017 21:41

Hampshire Royal Football finances are in a ridiculous state. If Stam had been manager when Coppell was, it is absolutely certain that the figure he spent on players would be so much less. You can't even use the usual inflation figures to compare spending.
Comparisons of spending by one manager against another are totally meaningless so I can't really see why figures would be presented like this.

We still haven't been told what the origins of these numbers are. Until then I will treat them with a degree of suspicion.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Oct 2017 21:44

West Stand Man Where do the numbers come from? The club is always hiding the numbers by saying 'undisclosed fee' so it would be interesting to know how these ones have been generated.

See Caveat 1.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Oct 2017 21:47

To be fair, Stam has come out and said the £7.5M figure bandied about in the press was way off the mark, but in the absence of anything from the club, I've had to stick with what was generally considered to be the number. In this instance I feel the club would have been better coming out with at least an approximate figure - if only to stop the likes of me from using against them.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Oct 2017 21:48

Hampshire Royal Football finances are in a ridiculous state. If Stam had been manager when Coppell was, it is absolutely certain that the figure he spent on players would be so much less. You can't even use the usual inflation figures to compare spending.

I'd be happy to hear how you would present them.

It's not so much the spending by one manager against another, what is far more illuminating is the net outlay. Aside from Stam, Pardew and Burns, all the others are in credit when it comes to net transfer outlay.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Oct 2017 21:51

Hound If it’s strap it’s going to be a Stam thread....

Because I've only been posting since June last year. :roll:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Oct 2017 21:52

Hound Yes indeed strap, the less said about Stam the better. Well except getting us to third last year on what I imagine was a profit on players

Do you SERIOUSLY want me to dissect last year's performances? You know I will if required!?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2017 22:54

strap

Do you SERIOUSLY want me to dissect last year's performances? You know I will if required!?!

Given we finished third and Stam had about a 50% win rate. Go for it, should be a laugh.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Oct 2017 03:18

peterroyal76

Stam has denied Aluko was anything like £7m but he didn’t allude to what it was.

When Aluko was on the Football League Show, he talked about whether he felt any added pressure of being the club's record signing. That would put it in the bracket of £4m+. I remember arguing in the summer that anything more than £2.5m was too much but prices have gone absolutely mental. Let's not let the signings of Ilori and Aluko skew the picture too much. Let's consider Moore for £1m, Swift on a free, Barrow for £1.5m....

On a side note, dont know if it's a relative measure of spending, but I believe Coppell broke the club transfer record 4 times in two and a half years (Convey, Lita, Bikey, Halford) and it in increased threefold in his time here.

I'd also suggest that under McDermott and Adkins, wage expenditure went through the roof.

Any measure of spending is always relative to the financial health of the club at the time and the bouyancy of the transfer market.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Oct 2017 08:26

Not to weigh in against Strap here but isn't it a bit unfair to count this seasons spending against Stam so early on?
We could still sell players in January and he could potentially come out in profit?
Obviously I would rather we didn't sell our best players but other managers you're comparing him to had to sell Gylfi, Long and Doyle for high fees so of course they have better looking transfer net spends.
We are now in a period where we don't have to sell our best so it would be odd if we were in the black.