11%
Ian Royal - all RFC fans are idiots
4%

Total votes: 247
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 22 Jan 2018 03:23

Hound Not really having the poisoned chalice stuff. It’s a well paid job at a decent club with decent facilities in a nice part of the country

Zingarevich eventually refused to enter the country amidst very strong rumours that his consortium took more than a fair share of the Premiership money. At the same time, our DOF begins living off the glory days of the Doyle/Long transfer, spending six consecutive transfer windows looking for (inappropriately) similar deals for a club vying for around the 20th best club in the country, whilst spending a lot of time vainly chasing Siggurdsson, seemingly for the PR. We dont make the Jordan Rhodes deal (a player who at least was unlikely to depreciate in value) despite us being the lead club for his signature as Huddersfield want Morrison in part exchange. Meanwhile, Pogrebnyak is still stealing a living for 4 long years and we start making signings such as Drenthe because neither of them demand an up front fee. Now you may say these are managerial problems, but its the first sign of a disconnect between manager and the DOF/owners. Adkins was screwed when he joined us - he was never going to keep us up, and then would have to manage a team desperately holding onto their premiership wages. By the time McDermott comes here for the second time, the club is virtually bankrupt.

Our owners have never bought the club to make money from the footballing side, its always been an adjunct to their business interests. Madejski as least hid this well. The Russians wanted the money, got it, and left. The Thai and Chinese consortiums are bare facedly in it for something else, and I really dont believe that any real footballing decisions are being made above Stam. With that in mind, I praise him for last years third, but in no way do I define that play off final as football (at 65 quid a head).

As a final *sigh* Im always disappointed at baseless criticism of both Adie Williams and Gunter. They are openly wondering why they still support this team, when they used to much more in the past. They are basically us. Its why Parkinsons name keeps coming up as manager, despite his record being really quite ropey; or why UR&G attracts the 'Lets sign an ex-player' type of post. There is no connection anymore. That disconnect was started with the McDermott sacking, and every manager since has had to deal with it.

Please buy a striker. A proper one. Not three 1 million pound wingers. A striker. A proper one.

LOL at a nice part of the country. Some of our best football clubs are in parts of the country that you would deem 'not nice'. Managers would definitely prefer to go to those clubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 11:09

it is a nice part of the country, and is close to Heathrow and London. It does make a difference, LOL or not.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2018 11:13

Hound it is a nice part of the country, and is close to Heathrow and London. It does make a difference, LOL or not.

I speak as one born and bred in Reading and proud of it but "nice part of the country"? you're having a laugh.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2018 11:16

Nothing looks like changing - but it needs to change.

With no real connection with the decision makers at the club and the fans - the fans need to force the issue with a louder voice imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 11:19

Victor Meldrew
Hound it is a nice part of the country, and is close to Heathrow and London. It does make a difference, LOL or not.

I speak as one born and bred in Reading and proud of it but "nice part of the country"? you're having a laugh.

find all the anti-Reading a bit tiresome. Berkshire is a very nice part of the country, pretty much on every level. Decent climate, countryside, transport links etc. I'm not necessarily talking about Reading town centre or Whitley here as thats not where you'd live.

Every town has its shit bits, as does Reading.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2018 11:42

Hound
Victor Meldrew

find all the anti-Reading a bit tiresome. Berkshire is a very nice part of the country, pretty much on every level. Decent climate, countryside, transport links etc. I'm not necessarily talking about Reading town centre or Whitley here as thats not where you'd live.

Every town has its shit bits, as does Reading.

Most towns and cities have "nice" bits around them so the attraction of Reading FC and it's environs is IMHO no great plus for a new manager..
I don't know anything about any "anti-Reading" stuff.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 11:55

fine. Pretty boring discussion, and shouldn't have bitten to the LOL

If people don't want to believe its one of the better parts of the country, and being close to London and Heathrow which was my original point, make a difference, then ok. I suspect it probably does though.

Can we go back to whingeing about how sh!t Stam has been?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jan 2018 12:15

Hound fine. Pretty boring discussion, and shouldn't have bitten to the LOL

If people don't want to believe its one of the better parts of the country, and being close to London and Heathrow which was my original point, make a difference, then ok. I suspect it probably does though.

Can we go back to whingeing about how sh!t Stam has been?

Bit of a pointless argument - but i'll just add that many of the surrounding places (Wokingham, Hart, Winchester) are regarded as the best places to live in the UK and being close to London is obviously a benefit.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 22 Jan 2018 13:01

Has he gone yet ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jan 2018 13:08

Longhorn1970 Has he gone yet ?

What do you think? wouldn't it be all over here the very second it happens.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 22 Jan 2018 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2018 13:23

paultheroyal Nothing looks like changing - but it needs to change.

With no real connection with the decision makers at the club and the fans - the fans need to force the issue with a louder voice imo.

Things HAVE changed in footy in this era. There are many other clubs functioning with a 'disconnect', with foreign ownership/management/coaching, etc. How have the fan bases adjusted at these clubs? Is there somehow more of an adjustment at Reading, and if so, why? If we were doing well, would it be a non-issue? The new ownership at Wolves took over in July 2016 (Chinese), injected some money, foreign ownership and manager, and look at them now. Is there likely some 'disconnect' there now, though? Did the fans there have a 'connection' in all the decisions that were made? There's likely not a 'Brian McD is one of us' dynamic at Wolves these days, is there?

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 Jan 2018 13:29

Victor Meldrew

You have clearly not been to anywhere else in the UK then. Compared to 99% of big towns or Cities Reading doesnt have any bad parts and that includes the worst parts. Even in the worst parts of Reading you could walk about at night, some towns and cities have real no-go areas at night after 1800 ish

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 13:31

yeah agree Denver. A large percentage of the clubs in the two divisions have foreign owners, often who aren't 'visible'. There's a healthy percentage of foreign managers who have had no connection to the club previously as well.

Its the way football is currently. I don't love the fact, but its the way it is. I don't think the fan disconnect is particularly any worse at Reading - maybe a tad due to the way that McD was treated. But then maybe that is partly balanced by some of the 'good' things the club do with tickets

Part of the issue with Stam has been his strange attitude to the fans. Its really not endeared him, and he can't really be suprised that those same fans aren't willing to support him in hard times when he has been critical so often.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2018 13:33

royalsteve
Victor Meldrew

You have clearly not been to anywhere else in the UK then. Compared to 99% of big towns or Cities Reading doesnt have any bad parts and that includes the worst parts. Even in the worst parts of Reading you could walk about at night, some towns and cities have real no-go areas at night after 1800 ish

No, I've never been anywhere much m8 (BTW I left Reading over 40 years ago)so thanks very much for your wisdom in this area.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 13:39

Interesting comments from Liam Moore on JLows gig whatever it is called nowadays. Actually completely nails it very simply, and to me, this is pretty damning of our tactics.

"I'm not sure what's changed this season, the results are disappointing compared to last season," said the 24-year-old.

"We're losing games 2-1 whereas last season we took a couple of hammerings but we were kind of unknown.

"Teams weren't sure how to set up against us and this season they know what we're doing. Teams are stepping onto us and when we've got good possession they're sitting back and waiting to counter us.

"We just need to come up with something to work against that as well. If we are on the attack we're more solid at the back and they can't counter us."

'We need to come up with something'....seriously we've had half a season to do that. It sounds confused and clueless

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2018 13:46

Hound yeah agree Denver. A large percentage of the clubs in the two divisions have foreign owners, often who aren't 'visible'. There's a healthy percentage of foreign managers who have had no connection to the club previously as well.

Its the way football is currently. I don't love the fact, but its the way it is. I don't think the fan disconnect is particularly any worse at Reading - maybe a tad due to the way that McD was treated. But then maybe that is partly balanced by some of the 'good' things the club do with tickets

Part of the issue with Stam has been his strange attitude to the fans. Its really not endeared him, and he can't really be suprised that those same fans aren't willing to support him in hard times when he has been critical so often.

I wonder if part of the disconnect has anything to do with there being no Evening Post available every day.
Down this way The Evening Echo is printed separately every day in Southampton and Bournemouth and in both papers there are always pages to do with the ongoings at the two clubs.
These are of course in addition to websites that all clubs, even at the lower levels of football now have.
Things like injuries info as well as player quotes feature daily whereas for many years now in Reading nothing comes from the club about injured players or even, the prospects of somebody being available for the next game.
At Reading even the local radio presenters seem to know no more about what is going on at the club than the fans do.

It may only be a small point but as fans it does feel as though the club will only release anything to it's consumers/customers when it feels like it .

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 22 Jan 2018 13:50

Denver Royal
paultheroyal Nothing looks like changing - but it needs to change.

Things HAVE changed in footy in this era. There are many other clubs functioning with a 'disconnect', with foreign ownership/management/coaching, etc. How have the fan bases adjusted at these clubs? Is there somehow more of an adjustment at Reading, and if so, why? If we were doing well, would it be a non-issue? The new ownership at Wolves took over in July 2016 (Chinese), injected some money, foreign ownership and manager, and look at them now. Is there likely some 'disconnect' there now, though? Did the fans there have a 'connection' in all the decisions that were made? There's likely not a 'Brian McD is one of us' dynamic at Wolves these days, is there?

it doesn't matter who owns the club or who manages the team, what matters is delivery of an end product on the pitch, that in turn gets bums on seats, that hasn't changed. How much you need to invest to achieve that is the conundrum at any level ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 22 Jan 2018 13:52

Victor Meldrew
Hound yeah agree Denver. A large percentage of the clubs in the two divisions have foreign owners, often who aren't 'visible'. There's a healthy percentage of foreign managers who have had no connection to the club previously as well.

I wonder if part of the disconnect has anything to do with there being no Evening Post available every day.
Down this way The Evening Echo is printed separately every day in Southampton and Bournemouth and in both papers there are always pages to do with the ongoings at the two clubs.
These are of course in addition to websites that all clubs, even at the lower levels of football now have.
Things like injuries info as well as player quotes feature daily whereas for many years now in Reading nothing comes from the club about injured players or even, the prospects of somebody being available for the next game.
At Reading even the local radio presenters seem to know no more about what is going on at the club than the fans do.

It may only be a small point but as fans it does feel as though the club will only release anything to it's consumers/customers when it feels like it .

Valid. Comms have been poor and at times borderline patronising

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 13:57

Longhorn1970
Victor Meldrew

Valid. Comms have been poor and at times borderline patronising

fully agreed and its a good point. The way the press are treated is desperate. JLow is obvs a bit soft, but you can sense his immense frustration with how little he gets from the club. One presser a week, and only then if there is no midweek game, plus a few grumpy defensive comments from Stam after the game. We then get him trying to stretch a few minutes worth of comments out over the course of a week. Pretty much the same with the Chron - with the addition that the Friday chap seems to be able to get a few comments of Liam Moore from time to time.

Stuff like Bacuna being injured on Sat, but not a word on it. Its not really acceptable.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jan 2018 16:01

Thinking about firing Stam from the owners perspective:

Cons

- Will cost a fair amount of money to replace him
- New manager won't have any time to bring in new players
- Sends a bad message to future managers that you're only ever 10 games away from being fired.
- Risk that new manager doesn't do any better

Pros

- Could end our bad run of form and end the (small) risk of relegation.
- Would cheer the fans up a bit and potentially increase attendances

423 posts