Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by total apathy

by Sutekh » 22 Jan 2018 22:24

When : Friday, 26th January, 7.45pm
Where : Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6 1SW
Capacity : 39,812
Away Stand : Leppings Lane, Upper Tier

It’s Sheffield Wednesday away so it must be another Friday night. Yes after last season’s screw up by the fixture computer, Reading fans get cr@pped on once again for this hugely uninspiring cup tie. One wonders if there’s a bye-law in Sheffield that prevents football from happening on a Sunday - and if that was the case why would Reading or Sheffield Wednesday fall foul of it given their utterly appalling current form?

Reading take their magnificent run of 1 win (v Stevenage in the last round) from 10 games to Hillsborough to face Wednesday’s equally miserable run of 2 wins (away at Forest and at home to Carlisle) from 14 games. Like Reading, Wednesday are appalling at home with the Carlisle win being their first there since beating Millwall in October. In that time they have also been turned over at home by Burton (by 3-0) so this game could be one big embarrassment all round.

Really don’t know what to expect team wise, whether there will be a fair few team changes or whether there’ll just be a bit of tinkering eg Jaakkola in and the rest being as strong a team as can be expected. Richards is a doubt after picking up a slight hamstring problem in the last game so I’d probably expect Blackett to start snd hopefully Bacuna will get a start in midfield. Meanwhile Aluko and Berg will no doubt continue to amaze by keeping their places

Referee

The expected referee for this one is Johnny Brooks

Previously

23 Dec 17 > Reading 1-2 Burton Albion

Historically

Not a particularly happy hunting ground for Reading but then probably about average for the club for a northern trek and only ten previous league visits. Of those ten three have been won and four lost. There have been no previous cup meetings between the clubs at Hillsborough although both have one win apiece from the two FA Cup games played at Elm Park

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by total apathy

by Hound » 23 Jan 2018 06:31

Haven’t they drawn their last 3 0-0 or something

Got a classic written all over it this one

We’ll lose

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2018 07:38

I am going to this due to already having a random day off at work. Fearing the worst.

Forty

by Forty » 23 Jan 2018 08:12

Sutekh, this briefing some beautifully sums up my feeling about Reading at the moment. Thank you.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jan 2018 08:44

I'm not apathetic about this one. I really want a decent cup run.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Jan 2018 09:05

Sutekh, if i go to the Mad Stad are they showing it on a big screen ? :wink:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jan 2018 09:55

Old Man Andrews I am going to this due to already having a random day off at work. Fearing the worst.

Pat on the back for you sir.

I think we'll field the same side as we did vs. Stevenage. I never want us to lose a game ever, but if we lose this then I'll be less bothered.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2018 10:03

John Smith
Old Man Andrews I am going to this due to already having a random day off at work. Fearing the worst.

Pat on the back for you sir.

I think we'll field the same side as we did vs. Stevenage. I never want us to lose a game ever, but if we lose this then I'll be less bothered.

If we are going to lose I just hope we do it in the right way. If we go up there and sit back for 90 minutes like we did against Stevenage I'll be mortified. No bugger wants a replay so I am hopeful both sides have some attacking enthusiasm on show. Wednesday look a bit more robust and settled under their new manager which is a worry for us. Hoping we can channel that great performance up there last season, that was a cracking display.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Jan 2018 12:10

John Smith I think we'll field the same side as we did vs. Stevenage. I never want us to lose a game ever, but if we lose this then I'll be less bothered.

Agreed, I feel the same way, really. But if we win and put in a decent performance, it can build confidence, too. And yes, there will likely be changes, and so a chance for some fringe players to impress and make a case.

Old Man Andrews Wednesday look a bit more robust and settled under their new manager which is a worry for us.

Yep, they do, they seem to have had the 'bounce' with the new manager, who is experienced, and is also Dutch :wink: They just held Cardiff 0-0 which was a good result and performance for them, I thought. Its been a strange season, as they looked strong in playoffs last season, only losing to Hudds on pens. In that game they had Fletcher up front, and could afford to bring on Rhoades around the 75 min, two pretty good strikers. I've not followed them too closely this season, to see if they lost players or had injuries, but its been a surprise, to me anyway.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 23 Jan 2018 12:33

Thanks Sutekh as ever. You know what really gets to me? It's that feeling of hope before every game. At the end of every defeat I am incandescent with rage with the gutless non-football displays, (as some may tell from my inane, drunken, often offensive :oops: ramblings), but as the next game comes round, my hope that we'll somehow turn things round gets bigger .. until I see the team sheet the useless Dutch tw@t has put out. But then as we approach kick off, that hope resurfaces ... until ... well you'll guess the rest.

I really should seek help, but I don't know what this condition is called!? Supporting RFC-itis??

Oh well, better than being homeless or destitute I suppose. A real 1st world problem. I should appreciate that we still have a football club ... for the time being!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jan 2018 13:42

Royals and Racers Sutekh, if i go to the Mad Stad are they showing it on a big screen ? :wink:

No. Cut and past job, couldnt be arsed to correct the error as Im just too apathetic about Reading at the moment :o

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 23 Jan 2018 23:53

thanks

alfie9

by alfie9 » 24 Jan 2018 06:15

Obvious 0-0. Hopefully we can win on penalties. FA Cup is the only thing left this season to be excited about

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Jan 2018 08:01

alfie9 Obvious 0-0. Hopefully we can win on penalties. FA Cup is the only thing left this season to be excited about

0-0 would be a replay tho.

royal67

by royal67 » 24 Jan 2018 08:52

At least the pies served up at Hillsborough are decent. The football played won't be.....

BKnumber6

by BKnumber6 » 24 Jan 2018 13:07

I predict, 70% possession, no shots on target, bored players, bored fans, terrible ref, 2 late goals from SW and a barrel load of excrement from Stam afterwards where he blames the fans for booing him.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Jan 2018 23:07

strap Thanks Sutekh as ever. You know what really gets to me? It's that feeling of hope before every game. At the end of every defeat I am incandescent with rage with the gutless non-football displays, (as some may tell from my inane, drunken, often offensive :oops: ramblings), but as the next game comes round, my hope that we'll somehow turn things round gets bigger .. until I see the team sheet the useless Dutch tw@t has put out. But then as we approach kick off, that hope resurfaces ... until ... well you'll guess the rest.

I really should seek help, but I don't know what this condition is called!? Supporting RFC-itis??

Oh well, better than being homeless or destitute I suppose. A real 1st world problem. I should appreciate that we still have a football club ... for the time being!

I believe you have quite standard symptoms
The odd thing is where that hope keeps coming from?
There is absolutely no rationale for it whatsoever, especially this season
It lasts for a very short time but it always appears before kick off and even before the second half starts, no matter the score.
It's a fleeting phenomenon these days but it still happens and as they say it is this very hope that kills you

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 Jan 2018 08:56

Do you think if we lose 6:0 JS will get sacked? Or can he even survive a complete stuffing?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jan 2018 09:04

Royalwaster Do you think if we lose 6:0 JS will get sacked? Or can he even survive a complete stuffing?

He is teflon. There is no sacking the bloke in my opinion.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Jan 2018 09:12

Royalwaster Do you think if we lose 6:0 JS will get sacked? Or can he even survive a complete stuffing?

Bizarrely we still haven't conceded more than 2 in any game so far this season.

We didn't even achieve that in 2005/06.

250 posts