19%
Ian Royal
6%

Total votes: 147
Osborns scoop

Re: The very latest in STAM OUT threads...with poll

by Osborns scoop » 07 Feb 2018 14:19

genome @TomJCrocker
Stam: I don’t pay any notice to the fans. Even last season they were being negative. If they want to be negative towards me that’s fine but they need to support the players. #readingfc

oof

What's funny is that he thinks he's rising above the booing, but all he's doing is showing how much it does affect him. He comes across as having very little emotional intelligence. He hates the fans, the fans hate him (by and large), he's miserable, the fans are miserable. I just can't understand at this point why he would want to carry on and why the owners would let him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Feb 2018 14:30

Osborns scoop He hates the fans, the fans hate him (by and large), he's miserable, the fans are miserable.

I don't think he hates me. And, I don't hate him, and I'm not miserable.

Old Man Andrews
genome @TomJCrocker
Stam: I don’t pay any notice to the fans. Even last season they were being negative. If they want to be negative towards me that’s fine but they need to support the players. #readingfc

oof

Coming out with BS like that doesn't help the players though. The negativity towards him and his management will only increase with idiotic statements like that.

What's idiotic in that statement? Many other manager's say the same. If he came out and said the boo-ing and negativity was really affecting him, what would you say?

Where is this interview anyway?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 07 Feb 2018 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2018 14:35

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews
genome @TomJCrocker

oof

Coming out with BS like that doesn't help the players though. The negativity towards him and his management will only increase with idiotic statements like that.

What's idiotic in that statement? Many other manager's say the same. If he came out and said the boo-ing and negativity was really affecting him, what would you say?

"I don't pay any notice to the fans".

He needs to and quite quickly. He has to acknowledge the supporters concerns, it is part of being a football manager. Even if inside he doesn't care what we think he has to at least show that he respects the support. He could have had an easy win by saying something along the lines of "I hear the supporters, I understand their frustrations and I take it on board". Nondescript statement that makes him sound like he gives a crap and will calm a lot of the more hostile supporters down.

If he were to come out and say the crowd response was affecting him I would gain a lot of respect for him actually.

His arrogance will be his downfall.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 14:38

I think thats the crux. It really clearly does affect him. hence why he always brings it up

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Feb 2018 14:45

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews

If he were to come out and say the crowd response was affecting him I would gain a lot of respect for him actually.

Ok, but I'm not sure everyone would respond that way, agree?

I believe he's acknowledged some fan frustrations in the past. Its not unusual when teams have seasons like this.

Anyway, where is the rest of this interview? I wanna see if this was taken out of context.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2018 14:49

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal

The vocal, idiot wing of the support, no. The modertes more than likely would do. Stam is obviously a very proud man and I think Hound is correct, the negativity is probably affecting him. Showing a bit of a human side though will help him in this current situation IMO.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Feb 2018 14:50

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal

I believe he's acknowledged some fan frustrations in the past. Its not unusual when teams have seasons like this.

Anyway, where is the rest of this interview? I wanna see if this was taken out of context.

getreading/In your area.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2018 14:55

He doesn't need the fans' reactions to tell him things aren't going right, he's not stupid. He's not wrong either, many fans were moaning about the style of play last season despite getting positive results.

So it leaves me to the conclusion that our fans either favour style of play over results, or how I see it, they want the team to perform and get results. Of course a lot of the time the two go hand in hand, you perform well, you get results but I dare say, you normally get only 1 or 2 teams that pull a perfect combination off in a season. Otherwise you end up with teams that play good looking but ineffective football and others who conversely play dull but effective football (us from last season).

Have we been spoiled by the last decade, notably 05-07? Yeah probably. I could make a pretty good list of what I think has gone wrong this season but I would question what we would get if we sacked Stam now and if we did sack him, who would we get in? You surely can't get someone in who favours an entirely different style of play to the current team if the goal is survival and we're already after the January window.

Bear in mind that despite being in our worst form for the season, we've still maintained a 6pt gap and a far better goal difference to the relegation zone, in effect, a three game cushion yet people on here are reacting like we're dead certs for the drop, I guarantee there are 4 or 5 other teams probably just as certain their team is getting relegated, only three can be right.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 15:01

Tbf, the quotes are still not exactly in context on IYA. Difficult to tell tone etc as well, but it would be nice to hear a ‘fans are impt, lets all stick together’ type message instead

FWIW, wouldn’t be upset to see Stam go, but likewise not sure too much to be gained from it at this point in time. I think the board believe we have enough to stay up this year and away form will ultimately pull us through

I don’t think he’ll be here for long, if at all, next season though

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 07 Feb 2018 15:10

Stam: "I've done everything I can to produce the sort of football and form that would get me sacked. But no! the club still back me. So I looked around for some other way I can trigger my massive compensation package and decided to have a solid dig at the fans. No manager can survive that. So with any luck I should be off to La Manga by Friday for some golf, sun and networking with a few million quid to tide me over."

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Feb 2018 15:19

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews

The vocal, idiot wing of the support, no. The modertes more than likely would do. Stam is obviously a very proud man and I think Hound is correct, the negativity is probably affecting him. Showing a bit of a human side though will help him in this current situation IMO.

Well, he didn't come across to me as Mr Personality when he was playing and he wasn't the most popular of player's. And, he was prolly aware of that. Did it bother him? Maybe it bothered him less than some other's? He's pretty much come as advertised, not much has surprised me, nor bothered me. He's also a very young manager in his first gig and learning on the job how to appeal to the masses. He prolly wishes that wasn't one of the credentials required of the job, but it is what it is, I suppose.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 07 Feb 2018 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Feb 2018 15:22

Does anyone actually care who the manager or players are? I thought we all just support the club whoever is representing

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 15:24

+1 to calling someone of 45 ‘very young’ :)

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 07 Feb 2018 15:41

Shelf Wed sacked Carlos and are one point and one place above us in the League.
Swansea (the club he went to), on the other hand have got themselves out of the Prem relegation zone and are looking good.

Be very careful what you wish for.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Feb 2018 19:18

In the interest of balance

@TomJCrocker 3h
Stam - It's difficult for me to take defeats. I want to win every game. I'm the first one who is looking at myself first in what I'm doing, do I bring enough, am I clear enough to the group, do they understand what I want from them? I look at myself first. #ReadingFC

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 19:44

Ha, think I can give you some of the answers to that Jaap :)

Thanks Genome, obv makes the whole interview a bit more balanced

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Feb 2018 20:10

Hampshire Royal Shelf Wed sacked Carlos and are one point and one place above us in the League.
Swansea (the club he went to), on the other hand have got themselves out of the Prem relegation zone and are looking good.

Heading for a record number of games undefeated. :o

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Feb 2018 00:23

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews

I'd rather he ignored the quivering mass of short sighted, innumerate reactionary imbeciles in the stands and got on with his job personally.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Feb 2018 00:34

He`s saying what the vast majority of fans are thinking. just because maybe 500 out of 12. 000 home fans are booing we shouldn't be all painted with the same brush.
Football just like every thing is all about opinions, if he turns it around the 500 will go quiet never to be seen again, and social media wont be worth looking at .

I blame Mr Jack Daniels for this rant check AE section

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2018 01:04

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal

I'd rather he ignored the quivering mass of short sighted, innumerate reactionary imbeciles in the stands and got on with his job personally.

What has numeracy got to do with it?

148 posts