The fans alternative course of action.

Sebastian the Red

Re: The fans alternative course of action.

by Sebastian the Red » 20 Feb 2018 14:57

As an addendum to Green's question, what is it that goes wrong for so many people in their childhood/teenage years that stops them from developing competent, adult emotional stability? I just can't begin to understand people, some of whom are as old as 26 or 27, whose moods are genuinely impacted by football results and who get worked up about the ways other people show their support.
Last edited by Sebastian the Red on 20 Feb 2018 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Feb 2018 15:05

My favourite example of anything along those lines is when someone claims to be embarrassed by our support, get some self esteem yo!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 15:11

Sebastian the Red As an addendum to Green's question, what is it that goes wrong for so many people in their childhood/teenage years that stops them from developing competent, adult emotional stability? I just can't begin to understand people, some of whom are as old as 26 or 27, whose moods are genuinely impacted by football results and who get worked up about the ways other people show their support.

my mood does get affected tbh. Not massively, but I'll def be more cheerful if they win. You can break pretty much everything down and say its pointless, which football obviously is. You need to have a bit of escapism in your life and pretend things matter which ultimately don't

Other people showing their support though - do not give a toss about that in the slightest.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Feb 2018 16:00

It's like saying cheer and shout at a funeral, every fan who pays to watch and particularly season tickets holders have a right to show their support or withdraw it as they wish. For the first time in many many years as a season ticket holder I'm simply not going till things change. You'd get more entertainment and excitement at a mortuary than our place at present.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Feb 2018 16:07

Gunny Fishcake It's like saying cheer and shout at a funeral.

What is?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Feb 2018 16:44

Silver Fox
Gunny Fishcake It's like saying cheer and shout at a funeral.

What is?

The original post .......As fans perhaps we simply need to give our vocal support to the team. No ifs no buts. Whatever the performance is like on the pitch.

Sorry , I'll get my coat

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Feb 2018 17:25

tee peg I think the fans have made their feelings known.Its time to draw a line in the sand and get behind the team .

Yes. As it happens that's a very succinct summary of the statement STAR made earlier this week. Which, if you want the full thing, is pasted below.

"We’re well aware of the often heated debates amongst Reading fans about our current form and predicament. We have them amongst the STAR Board ourselves. Whether you like it or not the club appear to have made the decision to back the manager, provided him with two experienced players and taken the squad away for a hopefully reviving break in Spain.

There’s still a third of the season left – 15 games. The main thing now is to avoid relegation and the implications that would have for the club finances and Category One Academy status. We’ve got 32 points. We’ll need somewhere between 50-54 to stay up in all probability. That means our form has to improve – but only to a level that looks quite feasible. There are several clubs worse off than us and their recent form isn’t anything to write home about either. As supporters we can affect morale – either way.

We’ve had a ten day break since the last game, a chance to re-charge batteries and wipe the slate clean. Start again time at Forest. Time, regardless of whatever we think of current personnel and tactics, to back our club, back our men and back its future. Make the MadStad a welcome place next Saturday for us to play in, not Derby. This season obviously hasn’t gone to plan but let the management sort that all out in the summer – as a Championship club, still, with our support."

Glad to see some believe the bar is lower than 50-54. To go down with 54 would be extreme.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2018 17:45

Sebastian the Red As an addendum to Green's question, what is it that goes wrong for so many people in their childhood/teenage years that stops them from developing competent, adult emotional stability? I just can't begin to understand people, some of whom are as old as 26 or 27, whose moods are genuinely impacted by football results and who get worked up about the ways other people show their support.

Well imagine if you kept going to see HMS Pinafore and every time it was utterly shit. Trite songs, irritating tunes and a facile plot.

You’d get cross.

It’s like that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2018 18:24

STAR Liaison
tee peg I think the fans have made their feelings known.Its time to draw a line in the sand and get behind the team .

Yes. As it happens that's a very succinct summary of the statement STAR made earlier this week. Which, if you want the full thing, is pasted below.

"We’re well aware of the often heated debates amongst Reading fans about our current form and predicament. We have them amongst the STAR Board ourselves. Whether you like it or not the club appear to have made the decision to back the manager, provided him with two experienced players and taken the squad away for a hopefully reviving break in Spain.

There’s still a third of the season left – 15 games. The main thing now is to avoid relegation and the implications that would have for the club finances and Category One Academy status. We’ve got 32 points. We’ll need somewhere between 50-54 to stay up in all probability. That means our form has to improve – but only to a level that looks quite feasible. There are several clubs worse off than us and their recent form isn’t anything to write home about either. As supporters we can affect morale – either way.

We’ve had a ten day break since the last game, a chance to re-charge batteries and wipe the slate clean. Start again time at Forest. Time, regardless of whatever we think of current personnel and tactics, to back our club, back our men and back its future. Make the MadStad a welcome place next Saturday for us to play in, not Derby. This season obviously hasn’t gone to plan but let the management sort that all out in the summer – as a Championship club, still, with our support."

Glad to see some believe the bar is lower than 50-54. To go down with 54 would be extreme.

I think we're looking at about 47 to survive personally.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 20 Feb 2018 19:03

leon

Well imagine if you kept going to see HMS Pinafore and every time it was utterly shit. Trite songs, irritating tunes and a facile plot.

You’d get cross.

It’s like that.

I don’t know why you’d keep going back. It’s why I’ve seen Stephen Sondhein’s “Assassins” about 11 times, but only saw Mamma Mia once.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2018 19:45

Sebastian the Red
leon

You’d get cross.

It’s like that.

I don’t know why you’d keep going back. It’s why I’ve seen Stephen Sondhein’s “Assassins” about 11 times, but only saw Mamma Mia once.

You saw Mama Mia? :shock:

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 20 Feb 2018 19:47

leon
Sebastian the Red
leon

You’d get cross.

It’s like that.

Yeah. I was 13 and my parents took me. That's the day I discovered that there was, indeed, such a thing as bad theatre.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2018 19:52

Sebastian the Red
leon
Sebastian the Red

Yeah. I was 13 and my parents took me. That's the day I discovered that there was, indeed, such a thing as bad theatre.

Did they think you were gay?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2018 08:55

Stam with some more comments on the fans:

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/oppon ... says-stam/

He sort of has a point, it just comes across rather clumsily

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Feb 2018 09:03

Hound Stam with some more comments on the fans:

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/oppon ... says-stam/

He sort of has a point, it just comes across rather clumsily

He should just stop talking about the supporters now, it isn't doing him any favours. Obviously if he is asked about it he has to answer the question but someone needs to pull him aside and just give him a standard message to get across. He tends to go off on tangents regarding the supporters which are at best questionable and at worst offensive.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2018 09:26

I'd agree with that. Its like he can't help himself and ends up saying something that will be picked up on

Just respond with 'we all need to stick together and if the fans get behind us they can be our 12th man' type platitudes

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Feb 2018 09:35

Is he serious? If the team is so mentally and emotionally fragile, its little wonder they collapse under pressure. I'm not particularly in favour of a "Mad Dog" solution, but there is little doubt that his methods had a positive effect on a lack lustre, under performing squad. He reminded them about how effort could make the team greater than the sum of its parts!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Feb 2018 09:54

Eaststandman Is he serious? If the team is so mentally and emotionally fragile, its little wonder they collapse under pressure. I'm not particularly in favour of a "Mad Dog" solution, but there is little doubt that his methods had a positive effect on a lack lustre, under performing squad. He reminded them about how effort could make the team greater than the sum of its parts!

Not so much about fragility but say in your job you have to work in two offices. One is head office, has a lousy atmosphere with colleagues getting on your back for every small error. The other is a field office, smaller and with less staff but everyone supports each other rallies around and looks to improve. Which one are you going to enjoy working at more?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 Feb 2018 09:57

Stranded
Eaststandman Is he serious? If the team is so mentally and emotionally fragile, its little wonder they collapse under pressure. I'm not particularly in favour of a "Mad Dog" solution, but there is little doubt that his methods had a positive effect on a lack lustre, under performing squad. He reminded them about how effort could make the team greater than the sum of its parts!

Not so much about fragility but say in your job you have to work in two offices. One is head office, has a lousy atmosphere with colleagues getting on your back for every small error. The other is a field office, smaller and with less staff but everyone supports each other rallies around and looks to improve. Which one are you going to enjoy working at more?

Which is the shorter commute?

Is there a still a beer fridge at the smaller one?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Feb 2018 09:57

Silver Fox My favourite example of anything along those lines is when someone claims to be embarrassed by our support, get some self esteem yo!

Says the bloke who's constantly making sarcastic jabs about other fans, and who said this on a recent match thread:

Silver Fox Reading fans are absolute fvxking idiots

:?