Gate figure conspiracy-gate?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Gate figure conspiracy-gate?

by Fox Talbot » 07 Mar 2018 12:12

When the gate for Sheff U was announced I assumed a junior media bod had cocked up by giving the real figure. But there's been no correction and last night's figure was done on the same basis - presumably not counting absent STH.

For the last x years it's been the policy of almost all clubs to report gates on a tickets sold basis - improves the image, creates a sense of demand and helps sustain higher prices. Obviously clubs have to know the real figure and share it with police and transport so they get the right manpower out but otherwise keep it to themselves.

My question is - whose interests does it serve for Reading FC to suddenly, mid-season, without explanation, change that policy at the point real gates have gone below 10,000 for the first time this century?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Gate figure conspiracy-gate?

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2018 14:18

Good question. suggest asking STAR to raise it at the management meetings they regularly attend at the club or get BBCRB to find out.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Mar 2018 15:43

G8 g8

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Mar 2018 16:25

Assume it's some kind of tax fiddle. Cash payments then don't have to be declared.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2018 16:39

I have it on good authority that the eventual plan is to sell the stadium and relocate to Adams Park and ground share with Wycomb.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Mar 2018 16:50

CountryRoyal I have it on good authority that the eventual plan is to sell the stadium and relocate to Adams Park and ground share with Wycomb.

Not sure if serious? Just asking. If so, how long has that been the plan, and why?

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 07 Mar 2018 16:51

I'm part of the problem as I've barely been to a game this year but couldn't believe it when I heard the attendance figures the last couple of games - that is more concerning than what's going on on the pitch IMO.

A couple of thoughts from recent experiences

- We had a sell out (home) crowd for the 500th game vs Burton and put in (at that point) our worst performance of the season. I said to my Dad that there is no better opportunity for the club, management and players to put on a show for the fans and drive up interest in a flagging season. They won't have attracted many people back that day.

- More generally the ground is becoming increasingly more of a pain in the arse to get to, one of the few advantages of an out of town stadium is being able to get there and get home fast quickly and easily in a car. The loss of several car parking options means that people are even less likely to be oxf*rd turning up to watch us get spanked by some also rans and bore the crap out of everyone in the process.

The club needs to act fast.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Mar 2018 16:53

CountryRoyal I have it on good authority that the eventual plan is to sell the stadium and relocate to Adams Park and ground share with Wycomb.

Presumably the latest hot-take from your deeply embedded source, aka Queensley

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Mar 2018 16:57

Denver Royal

Not sure if serious? Just asking. If so, how long has that been the plan, and why?

Don`t feed the troll. please

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2018 19:32

windermereROYAL
Denver Royal

Don`t feed the troll. please

It's true, my mate's neighbour's cat's previous owner was on holiday in Beijing and overheard someone talking about it.

100%.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 07 Mar 2018 20:03

The owners want to knock a stand down and extend the car park. Lower attendances will help justify this.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 07 Mar 2018 20:07

Fox Talbot When the gate for Sheff U was announced I assumed a junior media bod had cocked up by giving the real figure. But there's been no correction and last night's figure was done on the same basis - presumably not counting absent STH.

For the last x years it's been the policy of almost all clubs to report gates on a tickets sold basis - improves the image, creates a sense of demand and helps sustain higher prices. Obviously clubs have to know the real figure and share it with police and transport so they get the right manpower out but otherwise keep it to themselves.

My question is - whose interests does it serve for Reading FC to suddenly, mid-season, without explanation, change that policy at the point real gates have gone below 10,000 for the first time this century?

How about the other theory? That gates are falling and Reading have never automatically counted STHs?
I can tell you, purely anecdotally of course, that I know plenty of people that dont go any more.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Mar 2018 20:39

Fox Talbot But presumably not counting absent STH.

For the last x years it's been the policy of almost all clubs to report gates on a tickets sold basis

This bollox about counting season ticket sales in crowd attendances is a total myth.

The official attendance is simply how many people go through the turnstile each game.

Just imagine hypothetically 500 hundred people turn up Saturday , plus 3000 Leeds fans, how in gods earth could the crowd be announced as 15,000 or what ever ?

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 07 Mar 2018 20:43

Gunny Fishcake

For the last x years it's been the policy of almost all clubs to report gates on a tickets sold basis

This bollox about counting season ticket sales in crowd attendances is a total myth.

The official attendance is simply how many people go through the turnstile each game.

Just imagine hypothetically 500 hundred people turn up Saturday , plus 3000 Leeds fans, how in gods earth could the crowd be announced as 15,000 or what ever ?

Isn't that exactly what this thread is discussing?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Mar 2018 21:03

I'm just adding my view. and doing it not very well

JR

by JR » 07 Mar 2018 22:00

Gunny Fishcake

It isn’t bollox - many a time we have been in a 30-40% full stadium and the official figure has been 15k.

In my personal opinion and experience from over 200 games at the Mad Stad they have definitely changed the way they calculate the figure in the last two games.

My group have a predict the attendance game and it is widely accepted that you do an estimated count of the crowd and then add on 20%.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2018 22:06

There definitely didn’t look 8k less in the stadium between the Derby and Sheff Utd games

Would basically have meant less than half the people there, and Sheff Utd bought a reasonable number

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 07 Mar 2018 22:07

JR
My group have a predict the attendance game and it is widely accepted that you do an estimated count of the crowd and then add on 20%.

Fun group of guys, love to see you lot when you really let your hair down.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 07 Mar 2018 22:08

Gunny Fishcake I'm just adding my view. and doing it not very well

Your view that counting missing STH are not counted in attendances is incorrect. For the most recent glaring incidence look at last weeks Arsenal v Man C, declared as 59,000 and widely laughed in the press at as half the seats were empty. There have been times recently when people in the Madstad have laughed when the 'official ' attendance has gone on the scoreboard. Which may be why they don't put it up any more.

Back to the OP - in whose interest is it to declare the lower figure? The one suggestion offered so far is that the club can be closed down and the car park extended. Had the poster said Thai Disneyland extended ....

Where is MultiSync1830 gone when you need him/her/it to offer a good theory?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Mar 2018 22:18

So if ST holders are not counted does that mean that those attended were not counted ? I said last week there were more than 6700. and there were certainly more than 9.000 last night.